Preview Changes/Preview – Round 20 v Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Yet, the up the ground space-maker was subbed for a Joel Smith who ended up playing deeper....

#donuts
The space maker was subbed out, as the Crows were finishing stronger than us... see Burgess. Smith came in fresh and had an instant impact on the game as the game had become a shootout. The ball was rocketing about.

Perfect for the quick mobile Smith.

Pickett was in great touch, with his speed of thought and legs. And Viney killed any contested loose ball.
Our boys bought in to the chaos ball.

Out: Recruiting a second star ruckman and trying to play him as a key forward

In: Realising that the only reason to have two star ruckmen on the list is to bring something different to the table and let them roam around the ground.

Also out: Brown

Smith is a perfect sub. In last two weeks has been needed to cover both back and forward and playing a quarter at a time gives him less time to get injured.
Grundy will be back in soon enough.

IMV, the main reason our forwards were not functioning thru most of the season, was our lack of aggression in our game, at the contest and the ball carrier.
And the conservative approach from our defenders thinking. Coming out of D50. Lever the worst, but also Salem some times.
Salem seems to have adjusted his thinking, and is choosing the right times to go, and to slow.

As soon as Griundy can lead at the ball carrier, and to grab his marks in the front half as a forward, when resting, he will take BBB's spot.

BBB is slowing down, but his worst trait is the time it takes him to get back to his feet. He is out of the play when down on ground.

Smith is a perfect sub. In last two weeks has been needed to cover both back and forward and playing a quarter at a time gives him less time to get injured.
I like the new Smith of the past 2 games... he is playing with more freedom, and is backing himself far more. Being more aggressive in his approach.

I would play the new Smith, alongside Melk, JvR and Brown in our 22. The other 2, being Pickett and Chins.

Our smalls and Mids rotating from on-ball, forward-half, and interchange.

Am I the only one that doesn't want to see Rivers move up the ground? We look so much better and get fast entries when he's breaking away from d50 with speed and getting it to open players. Prefer that to slow ball movement from Lever, Salem, May etc
I agree, when Hibbo isn't playing.

When Hibbo plays, I like to see Riv get higher up the ground and rush thru the centre with the ball, on fast break.

Not wanting to be embarrassed about not playing Grundy will not be a factor in selecting him or not selecting him. Who cares what the media pundits think? You sit down and put a side together you believe is going to beat the given opposition on the day. That’s it.

Would be a big mistake to assume top four is sewn up.
The Tiges speed around the ball is a big danger game for us, this weekend. If we play our offensive game, it will be interesting to see how quickly we can get back onto defence, to shut them out.?

Top 4 isn't sewn up just yet. just as top 8 isn't.
Many teams still vying for finals. This round will make or break so many.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Tiges speed around the ball is a big danger game for us, this weekend. If we play our offensive game, it will be interesting to see how quickly we can get back onto defence, to shut them out.?

Top 4 isn't sewn up just yet. just as top 8 isn't.
Many teams still vying for finals. This round will make or break so many.
Win this week and its locked in with games against Hawks and Kangas to come

Shows how much better ball use becomes when you open the ground up with fast break, run and carry rather than the kick to contest and dump kick first option strategy for the forward half territory, repeat entries game.
Makes me wonder how Weideman would have gone, with this new strategy. The leadup type play, he would have got some space, imv.

INS - Harmes, Grundy, Spargo, Hibberd, Petty
OUTS - Sparrow (injured), Brown (omitted)

Just doing what he does best, making space...
Yeah, like Grundy has been.

INS - Harmes, Grundy, Spargo, Hibberd, Petty
OUTS - Sparrow (injured), Brown (omitted)

BACKTrent RiversSteven MayJake Lever
HALF BACKChristian SalemAdam TomlinsonJake Bowey
CENTRELachie HunterJack VineyEd Langdon
HALF FORWARDKade ChandlerJake MelkshamJames Jordon
FORWARDAlex Neal-BullenJacob van RooyenKysaiah Pickett
FOLLOWERSMax GawnAngus BrayshawChristian Petracca
INTERCHANGEJames HarmesCharlie SpargoMichael Hibberd
Joel SmithHarrison PettyTaj Woewodin
Judd McVeeBrodie Grundy

I would go for Grundy first as the 2nd ruck/forward, over Petty. Play Petty at Casey for a week.

Jordan to the interchange.

I would sub McVee.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back