Preview Changes/Preview – Round 23 v Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have more faith in Chandler to create a contest in the air than Schache.

Brayshaw playing like Cotchin-lite at the moment. Some great attack on the footy and man. Doing all the smothers/pressure acts/harassment and quick hands to the outside that our midfield needs. He plays better when he's just rolling on instinct.
Schache is just Too passive, in all his footy efforts.

He's been a (very poor) permanent forward for most of those games. Not really a fair comparison with Grundy who has played approximately 1 game as a permanent key forward.

I'm not arguing Grundy is a better forward though. I'm arguing that I think it's easier to see a scenario where Grundy produces a substantial contribution, including if Max goes down with injury, then Schache producing one.

In fairness, it was more like one quarter as a forward. Goody just played him in the ruck or sat him on the bench after that.

All things considered, I didn't think he was too bad up forward. Not a popular opinion here... but he showed some nous. Might have done more if he was given the chance. We'll probably never know.

In fairness, it was more like one quarter as a forward. Goody just played him in the ruck or sat him on the bench after that.

All things considered, I didn't think he was too bad up forward. Not a popular opinion here... but he showed some nous. Might have done more if he was given the chance. We'll probably never know.
What nous lol name one passage of play he showed forward nous

Yeah me too. You just never know. Chandler looked awful for his first ~ 10 games and then suddenly blossomed. Same with Petty. Laurie could be no good but he deserves a chance.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Think Chandler had far better VFL form coming in than Laurie has. Im still all for it if it means Jordon isn't in the team.

Ok it's pretty clear to me now we played Possum against the blues and have actually named our best team now.

Cause there's no way it took goody a half to realise what was plain to the board bar a couple here that Grundy absolutely sucks and ruins our side up forward and Jordan is a pox ridden disease of a footballer

Ok it's pretty clear to me now we played Possum against the blues and have actually named our best team now.

Cause there's no way it took goody a half to realise what was plain to the board bar a couple here that Grundy absolutely sucks and ruins our side up forward and Jordan is a pox ridden disease of a footballer
Tom Hardy Bait GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think Chandler had far better VFL form coming in than Laurie has. Im still all for it if it means Jordon isn't in the team.
I haven’t caught the last couple of Casey games but Laurie put up good numbers last week.

Chandler is definitely the better small forward. He’s always looked the more dangerous goal kicker vs. Laurie.

I think Laurie has the scope to provide more than Harmes or Jordon could. Laurie is competing more for that high half forward/mid role against Harmes and Jordon than he is against Chandler for the goal kicking small forward role.

Harmes or Jordon would be more likely to be able to rack up a 20+ touch game in the AFL but Laurie has some tricks at VFL level that Harmes and Jordon don’t have.

Very good agility to get some extra time to dispose and a smart ball user. Hopefully those points of difference at VFL level translates to AFL level.

My main concern for Laurie is he’ll just get overpowered physically against AFL players. He still looks smallish and not that strong.

I haven’t caught the last couple of Casey games but Laurie put up good numbers last week.

Anyone can get numbers in the VFL, Chandler was killing it with efficiency also though, that's what I meant was difference, could tell he was a good decision maker and user, I was always pretty confident he could become a player, while with Laurie it feels like he's stagnated this year or even gone backwards from early last year when looked really promising and was a bit of a match winner like Chandler.

Yep we've got more of a player in Woey than Laurie.
Laurie's got lucky that we've been key forward focused since 2019 in the draft haven't picked up and high end mids who can play HFF. Expecting that to change this year

Anyone can get numbers in the VFL, Chandler was killing it with efficiency also though, that's what I meant was difference, could tell he was a good decision maker and user, I was always pretty confident he could become a player, while with Laurie it feels like he's stagnated this year or even gone backwards from early last year when looked really promising and was a bit of a match winner like Chandler.
But you've just quoted the opening sentence from a poster we universally laud as paying more attention to VFL than all of us?

He also highlights his concerns of Laurie's size but highlights his smarts.

I think it's okay to be excited to see if he can step up, whilst also understanding it might not work out. 6-8 weeks ago, we all thought Woey was never going to play at senior level and now he has a new 2-year deal

But you've just quoted the opening sentence from a poster we universally laud as paying more attention to VFL than all of us?

I think it's okay to be excited to see if he can step up, whilst also understanding it might not work out. 6-8 weeks ago, we all thought Woey was never going to play at senior level and now he has a new 2-year deal

Lol pulled that out of your ass to suit your argument

I pay attention to the VFL , maybe not as much this year but I watched a lot last year. On the games I've seen this year Laurie hasn't looked as good as he did a year ago. I think most if not all the people who watch the VFL would agree with that.

Laurie's delist material. Shown stuff all
Laurie hasn’t been given a proper go yet at AFL level. A grand total of 2 games and 56% of one game’s worth of time on the field.

Chandler and Bedford also didn’t get proper goes for a long while and each have really come on this year. Both 23 years of age and Laurie is still 21.

That’s doesn’t mean Laurie will do the same. He’s a very different player to Chandler or Bedford.

This year with the exception of one game he’s either kicked a goal or had 20+ disposals in the VFL. Pretty much every time he’s played predominantly as a mid he’s got high 20s to low 30s disposals. He’s played 15 games, averages 23 touches and kicked 11.8.

2022 he was averaging 17 touches and kicked 22.10 in 18 games. It was a decent season.

I was in the “delist” camp earlier last year, but I’ve seen steady development once he started getting some continuity in his fitness. I’m still not convinced Laurie’s physically gifted enough for AFL footy, but Caleb Daniel isn’t, Charlie Spargo isn’t, Jake Bowey isn’t and Daniel Rich never was. All of them have played lots of AFL footy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back