Preview Changes/Preview for Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Shultz, Sturt (inj), Matera/Colyer
Blakely, Serong, Hill

I thought we named too many short small forwards vs Port - it seemed like we had no real confidence in just 2 doing the job, so we picked 3. Bolster the midfield and give Walters (who is the best small forward) more time there. Mundy starts as the 3rd tall. Shultz tries hard, more that anything else, his transition play when he went up the ground was poor.

Last edited:
Gonna have to do something about that backline. Logue doing ok, but Cox is in struggle street.

Watson, Oreilly and Hogan’s name need to come up when addressing this.

Bring Meek in to cover ruck duties, Lobb who needs to lift goes fwd and possibly Hogan goes to CHB. If they aren’t keen on Hogan going into defence..Watson debuts.

Cox is fine. Not even close to our worst and a long way ahead of any other available options. I don't actually think Hogan is an option. He needs to stay forward.

Watson is WAY too light to play KPP. Logue and Cox got monstered by Dixon, imagine what Watson would have done.

What we need is players that can play 4 quarters because the most we have played this season is 3 and every time the other quarter is the difference. Of course all we have is young players so doubt that is going to happen. Gold Coast are the same, were spent in the 4th this week so as long as our **** quarter is the same as theirs it should be ok.

I want Serong and Valente to play, but I don't know where to put Luke when not in the middle. Think Frederick should play as a forward too. Think he will be similarly ineffectual compared to Schultz and Colyer, but I think has significant improvement in him.

Probably unpopular, but don't see the point of Mundy if he isn't having an impact. No doubt he is doing some intangibles, but not sure it is worth the lost development time into a younger player.

Agree that Mundy is under pressure now - Valente is the obvious replacement but I just can’t see JLO pulling the trigger there just yet. Seems clear however that it will be Mundy last season. Another option is Blakely - surely he has as much to offer as Mundy at present?
Love to see Acres back in if he’s fit.
Serong for Schultz another no brainer.
Colyer wouldnt get a look in at any other team in the league. I wonder how far away Cam Mac is?

I want Serong and Valente to play, but I don't know where to put Luke when not in the middle. Think Frederick should play as a forward too. Think he will be similarly ineffectual compared to Schultz and Colyer, but I think has significant improvement in him.

Probably unpopular, but don't see the point of Mundy if he isn't having an impact. No doubt he is doing some intangibles, but not sure it is worth the lost development time into a younger player.

I think Mundy will need some rest games this year, and other games he needs to played in the midfield.

I like the idea of playing Frederick to add some pace, and skills to our side and Serong for the cleaness, and skills.

This is a big issue with our side, is we have two many slow players and not enough players who have speed (and the few we have don't have skills)

I think Mundy will need some rest games this year, and other games he needs to played in the midfield.

I like the idea of playing Frederick to add some pace, and skills to our side and Serong for the cleaness, and skills.

This is a big issue with our side, is we have two many slow players and not enough players who have speed (and the few we have don't have skills)
We have some speed in theory, just getting it on the park and to the level is the problem. But I agree more is needed, especially in the front half. We need to draft actual forwards to play forward as well.

How far away is switta? Would be an upgrade on Schultz and matera anyway

How far away is switta? Would be an upgrade on Schultz and matera anyway
Isn't he TBA?

Schultz, yeah. Matera? Only at chasing. Switta will be lucky to kick as many goals as Matera has now in 200 games at the rate he is going.

I like Matera and Switta as a combo since they perfectly balancing each others gaping flaw.

I think that I was a bit harsh on a few players last night from frustration of such a s**t performance particularly Bewley. I'd honestly take him over guys like Conca or Colyer. Conca will stay in the team for leadership purposes and for directing the youngsters. Colyer probably comes out for a guy like Serong or Blakely, Sturt probably comes out for Acres.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gonna have to do something about that backline. Logue doing ok, but Cox is in struggle street.

Bring Meek in to cover ruck duties, Lobb who needs to lift goes fwd and possibly Hogan goes to CHB. If they aren’t keen on Hogan going into defence..Watson debuts.

I thought Cox did ok. Logue will get there too....he just gets outbodied on occassions

I'd bring in Meek, Serong, Blakely, Banfield. 2 debutantes
Put Meek in ruck, bring jesse into the midfield, play Lobb, Tabs as our tall forwards.
Lobb goes in to ruck when Meek needs a rest.
Tell jesse just to go and get the pill

Put Meek in ruck, bring jesse into the midfield, play Lobb, Tabs as our tall forwards.

I’d play Jesse high chf. Wouldn’t think his fitness is midfield ready.

Highly doubt any games will played in the next few weeks anyway

Hogan in the midfield? I can't even...

I though Cox was good yesterday. Couple of times out marked early but took the game on from qtr time. One excellent run through the middle. and a perfect kick to the forward line only for an easy chest mark to be dropped. Cox was not the problem yesterday.

He played midfield quite a bit with Melbourne
Pav played midfield too.

Correct me if I am wrong on any of the following points.

We have been chasing a quality key forward so long they went from being a foil to Pav to the main guy because Pav retired waiting.
We finally get one, who is all banged up physically and mentally and needs the most stability possible to give him the best chance of being the guy.
The next best option is Dixon who clearly is a long way off or Lobb who barely kicks goals.
We have at least two (Serong, Valente) highly touted midfield talents who haven't played yet and surely are better suited to playing midfield than the forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back