Preview Changes/Preview for Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

With just two on the bench, and only one umpire to abuse (and even that lone one would more often than not be more effective than the 4 numpties we have officiating the game each week now).
Full forwards probably only ran 2kms a game instead like 20 now.

(maybe slight exaggeration)

I wouldn't bring Banfield in to tag but would advocate if he was playing.

Also, Ross was asked about Banfield's tagging at some point and it was pretty clear he didn't rate him as highly as most of us and the media did.

Ross wasn’t necessarily always right when rating players in particular the position they should be played.

Full forwards probably only ran 2kms a game instead like 20 now.

(maybe slight exaggeration)
Do they need to run more? Park yourself in the square. See the ball coming down the field, make a lead, mark the ball, go back and kick the goal. It's not rocket surgery. :tearsofjoy:o_O lol

With just two on the bench, and only one umpire to abuse (and even that lone one would more often than not be more effective than the 4 numpties we have officiating the game each week now).
Now you are talking. And if you are listening at home (no Saturday afternoon games on the telly), you could get the around-the-grounds update on the "Chicken Treat Scoreboard".

More seriously: back in those days, umps would ball it up if there were two guys lying on top of each other for a few seconds. Holding the ball would get paid. There were no "rugby scrums" because umps wouldn't let the scrum develop.

I rated him as a tagger when that was his only role, but I think that's about where it begins and end for him. If we are going to "waste" a player tagging I'd rather a limited player like him than a Brayshaw / Tucker.
I'd give Blakely a go in that role, he played a similar role to that in 2017 to reasonable success from memory

This will be interesting

Gold Coast sensation Matt Rowell primed for clash against Nat Fyfe on Saturday night
More likely we put Tucker/Brayshaw/Cerra/Serong with Rowell. Touk Miller will be 'trying' to go to Fyfe I would have thought.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't mind seeing Blakely in, but you have to wonder what's happened and why he hasn't been in the 22 this year so far. He was the R2 emergency from memory, so it seems like he's just outside of the 22. Also wouldn't mind giving Serong his debut.

I know it's bad because they've been starved of success, but some of the GC board are getting way too chirpy for my liking; particularly with regard to how bad we apparently are. It'll be awesome to take them down a few pegs.

I know it's bad because they've been starved of success, but some of the GC board are getting way too chirpy for my liking; particularly with regard to how bad we apparently are. It'll be awesome to take them down a few pegs.
tbf I just had a look myself, only one of them seemed to be chirpy about how bad we are, for the most part they seem to think it’s a good test for them

(hello to our friends on the GC board)

Last edited:
Conca on Rowell? He played a bit as a tagger at Richmond. Also gets him into the centre to provide another big body to protect Fyfe and the kids. Dunno 🤷🏻‍♀️

Much respect to Rowell, but I think he does need to have a game where he’s not playing on his terms. Will turn down the hysteria a bit, and probably be good for his development. Plus good for us if he’s not waltzing it out of the middle and kicking goals on the run from outside 50.

Did the weags send anyone to him? GC got smashed in Rd 1, beat a hapless WC who’d just arrived in Qld, and a pathetic Adelaide who had also just arrived, who they would have beaten even if Rowell was held to zero possessions. If he’s gone without a tag in Rds 2&3, it would definitely be interesting to see his impact with someone shadowing him and making life very difficult.

I’d really like to see us come out of the hub at 2-3 instead of 1-4, or worse, 0-5. 😖

Conca on Rowell? He played a bit as a tagger at Richmond. Also gets him into the centre to provide another big body to protect Fyfe and the kids. Dunno 🤷🏻‍♀️

Much respect to Rowell, but I think he does need to have a game where he’s not playing on his terms. Will turn down the hysteria a bit, and probably be good for his development. Plus good for us if he’s not waltzing it out of the middle and kicking goals on the run from outside 50.

Did the weags send anyone to him? GC got smashed in Rd 1, beat a hapless WC who’d just arrived in Qld, and a pathetic Adelaide who had also just arrived, who they would have beaten even if Rowell was held to zero possessions. If he’s gone without a tag in Rds 2&3, it would definitely be interesting to see his impact with someone shadowing him and making life very difficult.

I’d really like to see us come out of the hub at 2-3 instead of 1-4, or worse, 0-5. 😖

I’d get someone to rough him up. Yeah maybe a Conca or a Banfield. He needs a big welcome to the big time if you know what I mean. See Worsfold 1995 derby for more information.

We need to come out physical. Go the biff a bit.

Margetts will be umpiring us again this week, won't he? Going the biff will not cut it with the man in charge.

Now you are talking. And if you are listening at home (no Saturday afternoon games on the telly), you could get the around-the-grounds update on the "Chicken Treat Scoreboard".

More seriously: back in those days, umps would ball it up if there were two guys lying on top of each other for a few seconds. Holding the ball would get paid. There were no "rugby scrums" because umps wouldn't let the scrum develop.
Even more interesting playing in the wheatbelt on bare dirt, cup of tea and a scone at half time and a flagon of port passed around at thee-quarter time. Also the umpire came up from Perth to officiate and there was no way he'd come back for Tuesday night P & D meeting so most times unwarranted violence on the field was sorted out behind the change rooms after the match.

B: Luke Ryan, Griffin Logue, Ethan Hughes

HB: Nathan Wilson, Brennan Cox, Hayden Young

C: James Aish, Nat Fyfe, Stephen Hill

HF: Cameron McCarthy, Jesse Hogan, Michael Walters

FF: Caleb Serong, Matt Taberner, Brandon Matera

FOLL: Rory Lobb, Darcy Tucker, Adam Cerra

INT: Andrew Brayshaw, David Mundy, Blake Acres, Reece Conca

EMER:
Connor Blakely, Brett Bewley, Bailey Banfield, Travis Coyler

Out: Brett Bewley (omit), Travis Coyler (omit), Lachie Schultz (omit), Sam Sturt (ankle)

In: Stephen Hill, Caleb Serong, Cameron McCarthy, Blake Acres (Blakely if he doesn't come up)
Hill might not be over his injury yet with the late omission last week. I'd like to see speedster Fredericks given a go against the young CG. Something we're lacking is some speed!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back