Preview Changes/Preview round 22 v Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Unconvincing win. Petty hurt :'(

JJ and Harmes both put in stinkers. Both could be dropped but Goody never seems to make bulk unforced changes. Harmes maybe a hair in front? Tomo seemed missed down back early - May and Lever kinda out of sorts.
Clarry should be sue back though, which is nice.

Given all that, I'd go:

In: Oliver, Tomo
Out: Petty, JJ
Play Smith forward again.

Unconvincing win. Petty hurt :'(

JJ and Harmes both put in stinkers. Both could be dropped but Goody never seems to make bulk unforced changes. Harmes maybe a hair in front? Tomo seemed missed down back early - May and Lever kinda out of sorts.
Clarry should be sue back though, which is nice.

Given all that, I'd go:

In: Oliver, Tomo
Out: Petty, JJ
Play Smith forward again.
This, but add Hibbo in for Harmes.

Don't care about the positional balance, Hibbo is a necessity down back. Riv/Bowey can push up the ground if need be. Hell, Hibbo would even make a better midfielder than Harmes and JJ at this point.

Desperately want Smith or Schache up forward for Petty, keep the forward line as mobile as possible.

Fear it will likely be Grundy or Brown. No doubt the media will be cheerleading hard for Grundy all week and it will the biggest story in the world if he is left out.

Go away James Harmes and James Jordon.

Bowser had a shocker, Salem not much better, if Goody wants to drop Bowey for Hibbo im fine with it. Need Tomo back, not necessarily coz hes great but because Lever is such a better player when hes out there

Jordon/Harmes for Oliver

Petty for Schache/Grundy

Smith for Tomlinson/Hibberd

The other one has to be positional. Tomlinson in if they play two rucks, Hibberd in if they don't. Smith back to sub.

Hibbo has to come in and stay in. Agree with above would be good to see JJ out as well but figure a straight swap for an unlucky Bowser.

Oliver definitely back in, for Harmes.

Tomo in for Smith. Smith is best as the sub.

If Petty out, Schache in.

Looking forward to when Fritsch is back. Melky did nothing today (even though he was being held most of the game).

Grundy is a great guy, as I mentioned in the game day thread, but there is no spot for him in this team right now.

I'd almost be tempted just to play Trac forward if Oliver is back, rather than trying to shoehorn in one of our other D-grade tall forward options.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

As would I as Melk already plays pretty tall.

100% agree, but realistically, its taken Goody forever to not have a forward line with 2 KPFs and 1 resting ruck in it. Us having just 1 KPF and a bunch of mid size players and smalls, dont see it.

Oliver + Hibbo in for Harmes + Jordan. Riv to play more through the midfield rotation.

Could also relegate Smith to sub for Thommo.

Can't figure out who comes in for Petty.

Oliver + Hibbo in for Harmes + Jordan. Riv to play more through the midfield rotation.

Could also relegate Smith to sub for Thommo.

Can't figure out who comes in for Petty.

Smith could play forward for Petty, with Tomlinson back.

Smith could play forward for Petty, with Tomlinson back.

Don't think Smith has a clue how to lead, which is Petty's biggest advantage. That lead out the square for his second was majestic.

My preference is Schache, particularly as he's a servicable ruck. JVR/Melk/Trac up forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't think Smith has a clue how to lead, which is Petty's biggest advantage. That lead out the square for his second was majestic.

My preference is Schache, particularly as he's a servicable ruck. JVR/Melk/Trac up forward.

I get that. Schache is as competitive as a wet lettuce leaf unfortunately. None of the options are appealing tbh.

Bowey has been a bit off recently but he’s a weapon for our quick off half back game. Reluctant to see him dropped
Who exactly wants him dropped?

No mention whatsoever of this on this thread..

My mistake, did just see the comment by Deamon. Zero chance Bowey gets dropped.

Who exactly wants him dropped?

No mention whatsoever of this on this thread..

My mistake, did just see the comment by Deamon. Zero chance Bowey gets dropped.
What a roller coaster that was

I think I'm done trying to experiment with Brown or Grundy as forward options. We know what we're going to get with them.

Grundy on form alone in the VFL does not deserve a recall. His last VFL game playing mainly as a forward he was unsighted all game until they had to throw him in the ruck in the last quarter against Williamstown.

Has zero awareness as a forward and his leading patterns was non existent. A hard pass.

Even hearing Goodwin at today's press conference today he didn't sound all that convincing that Grundy would be the replacement.

It may seem they could turn to Schache who is known to pinch hit in the ruck.

Leigh Montagna just said Grundy is a strong no. Smith forward. Hope hes right.

Kingy reckons Tomo forward for Petty :drunk:

This is what I'd like (And Smith back to sub), not sure if we'll get it though.
Don't think you can put Smith back to sub with Petty out too. Would mean Tomo & a KPF straight in, assuming that's the strucutre Goody wants to keep.

I'd prefer to just go one KPF (JVR) and play Trac/Melk down there a ton, but that is probably wishful thinking.
We were basically playing one short when Brown was down there so hopefully Goodwin sees the light.

IN: Tomlinson, Oliver, Woewodin
OUT: Petty, Harmes, Jordon

Back half looked absolutely disgusting in the first half today. Get back to that safe structure where May and Lever actually play well. Smith to play forward.

Harmes an all time howler which Jordon can be thankful for given it took some attention off him. Both can get out though.

Can't see us going with 1 KPF as others have suggested - Would mean when Max is off and JVR is rucking, or when JVR is off, then we literally have 0 key forwards. No thanks. Let's not get cute with the structures that we've found are now working.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back