Preview Changes/Preview - Round 5 v Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Just on the conditions the current forecast for tomorrow is 1-20mm which is about as useful as saying it will be between 0 and 30 degrees.

If it is closer to the 20mm I would really hope to see a late change. I can't really remember how we've handled wet weather footy in the past.
Not well. Thankfully Essendon tends to handle it even worse

I'm weirdly concerned that the talls will all work well together, only opening us up to be exposed when we play a decent side later in the season.

come on man, Petty has been putrid for the first month now

Should have been dropped when may came

Petty plays only coz he can relief ruck, TMac and Brown are useless a second rucks and as I said in my original post, I want to see JVR at full forward for the entire game.

Perhaps a late change will see big Benny Brown as SUPER SUB coming on in the 4th with some elite speed and crumb

No surprise, but according to training reports on Demonland Petty is training with the backs.

All four emergencies are also training.

On insta they were at Nth Adelaide Oval.
For interstate trips I don't know that all emergencies usually travel, thought it was one or two?
It probably helps that the VFL game is on Sunday so the unused emergencies will still get a game in.

If there was a clash with the AFL and VFL game timing they might travel with fewer emergencies so the ‘3rd and 4th’ emergencies still get a game in.

On insta they were at Nth Adelaide Oval.
For interstate trips I don't know that all emergencies usually travel, thought it was one or two?
Could be either keeping options open for weather or an injury worry or two.

Turner is the only tall among the emergencies and IMO he's more a Lever type than Tommo is so that could be a watch (as could Petty who copped that injury a couple of weeks ago and was training with the backs today).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Petty plays only coz he can relief ruck, TMac and Brown are useless a second rucks and as I said in my original post, I want to see JVR at full forward for the entire game.
TMc can halve a ruck contest, and pressure when the ball hits the turf. Petty as well. Not all is lost by not winning the tapout. Its the clearance that counts.

I hope not.
We need to learn to develop winning the clearances, when losing the hitouts.

Max makes us lazy and one dimensional. He can come back in a couple of weeks. Max being out, aids JvR getting games.
?

We've won the hitouts comfortably in all three games where Grundy has been the main ruck. JVR can play ahead of one of Brown/McDonald

TMc can halve a ruck contest, and pressure when the ball hits the turf. Petty as well. Not all is lost by not winning the tapout. Its the clearance that counts.
Not even sure it's the clearances that are the be all and end all. Clearly don't want to get smashed in that area, but we haven't been great at clearances at all considering the talent we have in there. As long as there is pressure on the clearance and defence is set up well, then that ruck contest just needs a competitor really.

I listened to the Bombers board podcast just now. Thanks TheGrizz thats a really enjoyable pod and schmuttt you were an excellent guest. And cheers Beerfish for sharing the link

Hes got flogged whenever we have used in the ruck for the past 3 or 4 years in the firsts. Brisbane murdered us out of clearance whenever we had TMac rucking in round 2.

Below is Stringer’s heat map from last week. He played really deep forward and only attended two centre bounces for the game. I don’t think Stringer is fit enough to try to take May up the ground too often.
That's a good point.

But with Lever and Hibbo out, we are short on for players who can make good choices with the ball.
Turner could be useful on stringer.

I wonder IF Petty is also an out.?

?

We've won the hitouts comfortably in all three games where Grundy has been the main ruck. JVR can play ahead of one of Brown/McDonald
Stats mere stats.

I've seen very few of his hitouts go straight into our mids hands. Often to the wrong side, favoring the opposition mid. But he is getting his hands on it.

Hes got flogged whenever we have used in the ruck for the past 3 or 4 years in the firsts. Brisbane murdered us out of clearance whenever we had TMac rucking in round 2.
In Rnd 2, our mids were in too close, hemmed in by the Lions mids. They pressured us all the time and we coughed up the pill time and again.
I think it was they're tactic, to do just that.

And we fumbled the ball from the start, all over the ground.

I prefer us to be the pressuring team in every 1st Qtr, at centre-bounces. leaning over the opponents, pushing them into the contest. and harassing them into misery.
As they wilt from pressure, we can start to press more with the ball.

Not even sure it's the clearances that are the be all and end all. Clearly don't want to get smashed in that area, but we haven't been great at clearances at all considering the talent we have in there. As long as there is pressure on the clearance and defence is set up well, then that ruck contest just needs a competitor really.
That's sort of what I'm getting at. IMO, we are better playing more the hunter in the centre-bounces. Close checking and harassing them, when they get first touch.
Make them spill the pill, and we can then find the ball and the space, more often.

If Max was really injured, then we have to do this anyway. Don't want him back too soon.
Lets learn to play without him, then bring him back in.

That's sort of what I'm getting at. IMO, we are better playing more the hunter in the centre-bounces. Close checking and harassing them, when they get first touch.
Make them spill the pill, and we can then find the ball and the space, more often.

If Max was really injured, then we have to do this anyway. Don't want him back too soon.
Lets learn to play without him, then bring him back in.
I don’t think Gawn is anywhere near the dominant ruck that gives silver service to his mids that he was several years ago.

But, IMO there is huge merit in both more games to grow the understanding of the mids with Grundy, and not rushing Gawn back until he’s cherry ripe physically.

I don’t think Gawn is anywhere near the dominant ruck that gives silver service to his mids that he was several years ago.

But, IMO there is huge merit in both more games to grow the understanding of the mids with Grundy, and not rushing Gawn back until he’s cherry ripe physically.
Gawn wants to come back asap. I see the merit in holding him back; so we learn to shark opposition ruck hit-outs, and they're mids.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back