Preview Changes/Preview - Round 6 ANZAC Day Eve v Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Turner in maybe just in case Lever doesn't come up perhaps?

Could be. Could also be for Gawn. Petty forward Disco back if Gawn doesnt play maybe

McDonald's goals dont count cause it was a 'WAFL' defence even though it was Barass and Yeo. Who the hell did brown kick his goals on lol
I thought he was very good against the Eagles, the problem is the other three games he's played have been rubbish; he was rightly dropped after one, and should have been dropped after his six disposal effort from last weekend.

MacDonald's been cooked for ages. Not saying Brown has been a superstar for the last two seasons but he's got a few credits, and IMO a bit more deserving of a spot than Tom. And I'd prefer only having one of them in the side.

I thought he was very good against the Eagles, the problem is the other three games he's played have been rubbish; he was rightly dropped after one, and should have been dropped after his six disposal effort from last weekend.

MacDonald's been cooked for ages. Not saying Brown has been a superstar for the last two seasons but he's got a few credits, and IMO a bit more deserving of a spot than Tom. And I'd prefer only having one of them in the side.
McDonald is cooked, but Browns not far ahead of him. Teams wanna run and carry and attack us from the back half and we are playing Brown and or McDonald who couldn't tackle if they were allowed to hold the bloke before he gets the ball. He also can't ruck and doesn't mark the ball so you're forcing a 19 year old JVR to do the dirty work around the ground. That's wrong

McDonald's goals dont count cause it was a 'WAFL' defence even though it was Barass and Yeo. Who the hell did brown kick his goals on lol
Liam Jones (for a half before he went off) then Bruce (who sucks) against the Dogs. Harris Andrews against the Lions. He did well, even you were on board with that at the time. Looked better below his knees than he has since crossing from North and was moving well.

His back is clearly ****ed, given a 1 weeker has turned into a 4 weeker and counting because he can't get through anything beyond half training. All this does is verify that he actually did get injured vs the Swans and it wasn't a technical change disguised as an injury to spare his feelings.

No use bringing him back unless fully fit because, as others have said, he's no good unless he's cherry ripe. But lets not pretend he didn't play a significant part in the first two games.

McDonald is cooked, but Browns not far ahead of him. Teams wanna run and carry and attack us from the back half and we are playing Brown and or McDonald who couldn't tackle if they were allowed to hold the bloke before he gets the ball. He also can't ruck and doesn't mark the ball so you're forcing a 19 year old JVR to do the dirty work around the ground. That's wrong
The reality now has to be that the two of them can't play together. What are the odds they both play a good game on the same day? They're witches hats when they're not 100% right. Both should really be at VFL level unless fully fit, and I don't think TMac will ever be fully fit after that foot injury at his age. As for Brown, this injury at his age as well could be the end. If he's aggravating his back every time he trains fully, he can't play. You'd hope they just tell him to rest up for the next couple of months or something and come back for one last gallop towards the end of the year. Three weeks now Goodwin has said he expects him to be ok, and he hasn't got up.

JVR is the future and Petty looks like the best foil we have at this stage. Petty is good below his knees as well and applies ground pressure better than most other big men in the team. They should really be the forward pair. Pretty sad to see Goodwin pick McDonald this week when Richmond don't even have a tall forwardline that would require Petty's presence down back.

Liam Jones (for a half before he went off) then Bruce (who sucks) against the Dogs. Harris Andrews against the Lions. He did well, even you were on board with that at the time. Looked better below his knees than he has since crossing from North and was moving well.

Harris Andrews doesn't play on the best forward literally listened to a piece on Sen where they play him on the lesser forward to help him intercept so there's that, an I never was on board. In fact very happily go back and qoute myself and show where I said he wouldn't maintain it and the goals were more a result of luck than good play. No contested marks and stuff all tackles. He kicks accurately and does literally not a single thing else.

Harris Andrews doesn't play on the best forward literally listened to a piece on Sen where they play him on the lesser forward to help him intercept so there's that, an I never was on board. In fact very happily go back and qoute myself and show where I said he wouldn't maintain it and the goals were more a result of luck than good play. No contested marks and stuff all tackles. He kicks accurately and does literally not a single thing else.
Yep looking back at his rd 2 highlights he kicked 2 on Starcevich. Both from outrunning him which is a bit ludicrous. His work up the ground was pretty crazy that day. He actually had a few touches leading into defence, which he hasn't done since early 2021. Could barely move against Sydney after the first quarter, never mind lead in a straight line for 100 metres.

Yep looking back at his rd 2 highlights he kicked 2 on Starcevich. Both from outrunning him which is a bit ludicrous. His work up the ground was pretty crazy that day. He actually had a few touches leading into defence, which he hasn't done since early 2021. Could barely move against Sydney after the first quarter, never mind lead in a straight line for 100 metres.
I really only think brown can play as the backup to Fritsch now. He's way too limited to play alongside Fritsch and especially Tmac. There's an answer staring us dead in the face with Petty. Brown and Melk are the same player now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TMac & Brown are basically one in the same to me, Brown is the better finisher but both are liabilities at this point. Brown has never suited our style because we don't have the ball users in the midfield required to give him the silver service he needs (plenty of butchers though).

You need to be absolutely outstanding in the air or have some other weapon to get away with not pressuring or having any ground level game. Neither are capable of contested marking (feels like an age ago that TMac was good in this area) or even providing much of a contest usually. Petty wasn't even "good" imo against Sydney, he just did the minimum which is provide a contest in the air and at ground level, we can't keep carrying players that don't give us that.

TMac & Brown are basically one in the same to me, Brown is the better finisher but both are liabilities at this point. Brown has never suited our style because we don't have the ball users in the midfield required to give him the silver service he needs (plenty of butchers though).

You need to be absolutely outstanding in the air or have some other weapon to get away with not pressuring or having any ground level game. Neither are capable of contested marking (feels like an age ago that TMac was good in this area) or even providing much of a contest usually. Petty wasn't even "good" imo against Sydney, he just did the minimum which is provide a contest in the air and at ground level, we can't keep carrying players that don't give us that.
I think Brown can play if Fritsch is out, he's a shitter version but Fritsch is basically a finisher who doesn't do heaps more. Browns a slower less dynamic version but he finishes.

With both of them that's 2 blokes who don't defend. So basically Pickett ANB and Chandler have to do extra bullshit work to cover them. Petty did stuff all yet he ran and chased and competed and everyone else looked better for it

We can’t win a flag with both of them this year. They’re just not doing enough. Need to be running Fritsch, JVR, ANB, Pickett, maybe Petty, Spargo. It’s either that or we drastically improve our F50 delivery and start lacing Brown. Doubtful.

If you look at other clubs in flag contention, they all have dynamic forward lines. We are not dynamic.

I think Brown can play if Fritsch is out, he's a shitter version but Fritsch is basically a finisher who doesn't do heaps more. Browns a slower less dynamic version but he finishes.

With both of them that's 2 blokes who don't defend. So basically Pickett ANB and Chandler have to do extra bullshit work to cover them. Petty did stuff all yet he ran and chased and competed and everyone else looked better for it
I think Petty has to play forward. The issue is that if we have an injury to a KPD then he has to go back because Tomlinson isn’t up to it.

Although, this starts to look a lot better with Gawn back.

Jesus Christ, thank Christ for that bloke. Honestly. What an absolute giant of the MFC.

TMac used to be a brilliant contested mark. The cliff has come quickly for him.

The reality now has to be that the two of them can't play together. What are the odds they both play a good game on the same day? They're witches hats when they're not 100% right. Both should really be at VFL level unless fully fit, and I don't think TMac will ever be fully fit after that foot injury at his age. As for Brown, this injury at his age as well could be the end. If he's aggravating his back every time he trains fully, he can't play. You'd hope they just tell him to rest up for the next couple of months or something and come back for one last gallop towards the end of the year. Three weeks now Goodwin has said he expects him to be ok, and he hasn't got up.

JVR is the future and Petty looks like the best foil we have at this stage. Petty is good below his knees as well and applies ground pressure better than most other big men in the team. They should really be the forward pair. Pretty sad to see Goodwin pick McDonald this week when Richmond don't even have a tall forwardline that would require Petty's presence down back.
Goodwin can’t let McDonald go. He is so stubborn re his selections. He better play a blinder on Monday night.

Brown hate is a bit odd. 9.1 from two and a half games is a solid return.

It’s nothing personal against Brown for me I just think the team is better with JVR/Petty/Fritsch. We are going to play Gawn and Grundy in the same side long term, there’s no room for Brown/TMac in the team. Fritta gives us nothing defensively which is fine as he’s a gun finisher, whichever ruck is down there will be the same. Can’t afford to have 3 guys up forward that are trash when we don’t have the ball.

It’s nothing personal against Brown for me I just think the team is better with JVR/Petty/Fritsch. We are going to play Gawn and Grundy in the same side long term, there’s no room for Brown/TMac in the team. Fritta gives us nothing defensively which is fine as he’s a gun finisher, whichever ruck is down there will be the same. Can’t afford to have 3 guys up forward that are trash when we don’t have the ball.
Fair enough. I'm not sold on Petty forward personally, but then I'm not sold on Petty at all at the minute.

Fair enough. I'm not sold on Petty forward personally, but then I'm not sold on Petty at all at the minute.
Petty has a fair bit of go in him. Honestly reckon he is better leading at the ball. Really like the bloke. The only thing I don’t like about him was that bloody crying incident….

Petty has a fair bit of go in him.
Had. Past tense.

Agreed, he hasn't been the same since the he pulled the biggest sook anyone has ever seen on a football field after Zorko said something about his mum :$.

He needs to rediscover that I think.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back