Preview Changes/Preview - Round 8 v. Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Visceral reactions

Steven may have to be delisted. Giving up the last 3 goals might be acceptable at the GOLD COAST SUNS but not at demonspirit

JVR - you can’t just head the ball through the goals, clogboy

Salem - anonymous again. Delist.

Harmes - COULD HE BE A SUPERSUB? No. 🚮

Petracca - nice inswinging goal in the second quarter. The CRICKET CONVERT is having an influence. 🇱🇰👀

Gumby - sold some dummies to the Blockheads. A good episode, 4/10.

Viney - needs to stop kicking on his left 🚮

Lever - shave those sideburns

Brayshaw - old mudguts stopped eating for 5 minutes to play an ok game

Gawn - could he be a FUTURE CAPTAIN?

Hunter - another solid game from Jayden.

Oliver - Clanton needs a 50 disposal game before I’m impressed 🚮

Pig - he really needs to kick some more goals to really cement his spot on a HFF. Also worrying for such a young guy to have persistent Achilles problems 😢

Clangdon - he clangs to the left he clangs to the right he CLANGED EVERYWHERE ON SATURDAY NIGHT.

Bowey - needs to RESPECT THE GAME more

Shaq - a solid debut for the BASKETBALL CONVERT 🚮

Jim Jones - needs to drink the Kool Aid 🪦

Rivers - the RISING STAR has SEIZED back the prize from fellow youngster Toby Greene.

ANB - made a mistake. Delist. 🚮🪦

The Cassowary - was DEADLY last night. 🦚🩸🔪

Swallow - if one swallow doesn’t make a Summer just imagine the OUTRAGEOUS potential of a land dwelling octopus 🐙 that had TWICE AS MANY HANDS AS IT DID TENTACLES if indeed a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. 🚮

Pickett - hopefully he signs a four year deal and we can trade him at the end of this year to maximise his value.

Chaminda - 🇱🇰🏏👀

Judd - 🚮

McVee - 🚮

Out - everyone
In - everyone else

Not too fussed with who goes out, what I want to see is another consistent 4 quarter effort. Gold Coast will be a good test.

I'm not sold we are a premiership threat just because we beat up North Melbourne.
How are we not a premiership threat though? Top of the ladder with the best %. Even Clarkson said in his conference our list has potentially 10 AA players out there. Even with an ordinary looking forwardline we have kicked the most score this season so far. Yes, still need to beat a few of the other premiership threats, but we are definitely a threat.

How are we not a premiership threat though? Top of the ladder with the best %. Even Clarkson said in his conference our list has potentially 10 AA players out there. Even with an ordinary looking forwardline we have kicked the most score this season so far. Yes, still need to beat a few of the other premiership threats, but we are definitely a threat.
I believe Daemon was basing it off the North game. Hard to get a gauge on where you’re at against relative witches hats.

Clarkson did indeed say that but is there a lot of substance to it? Yes, Gawn, Grundy, Lever, May, Oliver and Petracca have been AA and Brayshaw as well as Fritsch have made the squad. We all have high hopes for Pickett but he’d be a little back in the pecking order at the moment. How many of them would be presently in there on this year’s form. I can only think of one or two at a pinch. Clarkson’s job is also to sell hope, he can’t exactly say that: “my ragtag band of list cloggers got absolutely baptised by a bunch of blokes who struggled to put away 16th on the ladder off of a 5 day break.”

I honestly hope the optimists among us are correct and our somewhat patchy form over the last year is due to various factors including getting ourselves back on track for a flag crack. However, I think more evidence than a scrappy win over a beleaguered Richmond and belting the s**t out of some witches hats is required.

Last edited:
IN: Harmes, Howes
OUT: Jordon, Hibberd

Jordon just a bit vanilla atm and Sparrow had the better game IMO. Pig looked pretty cooked by the time he was subbed out, let's have a look at Howes (whom I rate highly).

Milkshake can be sub, come on and kick a big. Might as well give Diesel another week to have a look at him.

I believe mrmonkey was basing it off the North game. Hard to get a gauge on where you’re at against relative witches hats.

Clarkson did indeed say that but is there a lot of substance to it? Yes, Gawn, Grundy, Lever, May, Oliver and Petracca have been AA and Brayshaw as well as Fritsch have made the squad. We all have high hopes for Pickett but he’d be a little back in the pecking order at the moment. How many of them would be presently in there on this year’s form. I can only think of one or two at a pinch. Clarkson’s job is also to sell hope, he can’t exactly say that: “my ragtag band of list cloggers got absolutely baptised by a bunch of blokes who struggled to put away 16th on the ladder off of a 5 day break.”

I honestly hope the optimists among us are correct and our somewhat patchy form over the last year is due to various factors including getting ourselves back on track for a flag crack. However, I think more evidence than a scrappy win over a beleaguered Richmond and belting the s**t out of some witches hats is required.
We can't win though. 10-0 and copped it last year. 5-2 and not good enough this year. Its all about timing. Gotta win enough to get top 4(no guarantee with the amount of teams lifting this year) and have our best players fully fit going into finals. Would love to see us beat a couple of these teams at the top end

Oh I feel much better about this year than last year if for nothing more than we are better to watch, if we dont win or make a grand final again at least we are kicking some goals.

We can't win though. 10-0 and copped it last year. 5-2 and not good enough this year. Its all about timing. Gotta win enough to get top 4(no guarantee with the amount of teams lifting this year) and have our best players fully fit going into finals. Would love to see us beat a couple of these teams at the top end
For me it's the inconsistency. The two losses to the bombers and Brisbane were really bad, we looked lazy and awful. I don't mind if we lose games, but the manner we lost those was concerning.

For me it's the inconsistency. The two losses to the bombers and Brisbane were really bad, we looked lazy and awful. I don't mind if we lose games, but the manner we lost those was concerning.
I'm keen to see how we play next wknd. I reckon we handled the conditions really poorly against the Lions. GC won't be an easy game uo there. The Bombers game was really poor. Most successful sides have a couple of bad losses during their premiership season.

Agree. In terms of win/loss we're about where I'd have expected pre-season. but to lose so comprehensively and 'not show up' at all is a concern.

Good that we've found our scoring boots again, and are becoming deadly accurate in front of goals. There's plenty of time to iron out the gameplan. Another (on paper) easy game should help us build some momentum/confidence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree. In terms of win/loss we're about where I'd have expected pre-season. but to lose so comprehensively and 'not show up' at all is a concern.

Good that we've found our scoring boots again, and are becoming deadly accurate in front of goals. There's plenty of time to iron out the gameplan. Another (on paper) easy game should help us build some momentum/confidence.
Weirdly, I'm more convinced this year than last.

We're more willing to rotate players, both through the 22 and through different roles. We're better going inside 50. We're better kicking for goal. We've seemingly learned a hard lesson with injury management too. With the forward line still to be settled, Salem to come back, Gawn getting less run down thanks to Grundy, a few sugar hits from young players like McVee, JVR, Chandler etc I can see us more aiming towards being at our best in time for finals rather than wearing ourselves out before the bye because we're running ourselves into the ground to be undefeated.

Supporters who were at the game have said how incredibly flat and slow we looked against Essendon, no surprise given the few weeks leading into it, the Brisbane one was a shocker, but let's not forget that was an 11 point loss to a top 4 team at home, not as much a disgrace as some make out - particularly when you factor in the Gawn injury.

I just think we need to take into account the lessons of last year when looking at the context of our form so far this year.

Yeah I like the willingness to give different blokes a go. Even rotating Riv, Kozz, ANB through the middle more with Sparrow and JJ and the regulars gives us some different dynamics.
Would like to see more of Bowey around the ball as a receiver. Same as Salem if he ever gets back…

Oh I feel much better about this year than last year if for nothing more than we are better to watch, if we dont win or make a grand final again at least we are kicking some goals.
I think this season games in general are more high scoring. Gws vs Sydney 107 to 106, Essendon 104 to Geelong 132, even Brisbane game 115 to 67. Yes today also had some low scoring games but Richmond vs Gold Coast wasn't afl standard and Adelaide vs Collingwood was just a weird game considering how both teams play.

Would like to see more of Bowey around the ball as a receiver. Same as Salem if he ever gets back…
Agreed. Absolutely no reason why we can't use him in a similar way to how the Pies use Nick Daicos. Bowey doesn't have the tank Daicos does, but he's got a great leg on him and is a solid decision maker. Need to utilise his skills more

Chandler looked pretty sore a few times on Saturday, grabbing at his ankle area, and is in the rehab group today apparently. Could be a chance to miss allowing Spargo straight back in?

Chandler looked pretty sore a few times on Saturday, grabbing at his ankle area, and is in the rehab group today apparently. Could be a chance to miss allowing Spargo straight back in?
Schache with a possible wrist concern as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back