Unofficial Preview Changes/Preview: The Premiers vs The Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

So I may not have watched the Eagles that closely this year....

But who else wasn't aware Fraser McInnes was still on WC's list?

And what is a Kurt Mutimer?

So I may not have watched the Eagles that closely this year....

But who else wasn't aware Fraser McInnes was still on WC's list?

And what is a Kurt Mutimer?
McInnes was rerookied off the back of Lycett going down.

I feel he may finally show something, right age and less best 22 talls to compete against in NicNat and Lycett.

(Insert gif of Redpath destroying a Collingwood player here)
It was Lumumba when he was Harry O wasn't it?

I find Redpath's inclusion bemusing. He was hardly setting the comp alight last year, does a knee and comes back in after one VFL game. It was a very good game. But what's the rush? I like Jack a lot but this feels desperate.

Would love to be proven wrong.

I find Redpath's inclusion bemusing. He was hardly setting the comp alight last year, does a knee and comes back in after one VFL game. It was a very good game. But what's the rush? I like Jack a lot but this feels desperate.

Have you ever heard of something called structure?

Do you think he would be playing if Roughy or Cloke were fit? I would say that it's highly unlikely.

What would be your argument for leaving him out? What's the risk of playing him? It's not like we are spoiled for choice. It is "desperate" in the sense that it was desperate playing Cordy as a CHF in the Grand Final. Injuries force you to make less than ideal selection choices.

We don’t really know the facts. For example, if:
  • the medical advice is that his knee is structurally sound;
  • he pulled up really well from the VFL match; and
  • playing this week on a six day break poses no greater risk in terms of re-injury;
then we should be playing Redpath given that he played well last week. We don’t have a lot of options up forward at the moment. Dickson, Stringer, Crameri and Cloke are all unavailable or not fit enough.

20 goals in 10 games. Watch the Port game last year to see how effective he can be. Hoping he kills it tomorrow night !

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We don’t really know the facts. For example, if:
  • the medical advice is that his knee is structurally sound;
  • he pulled up really well from the VFL match; and
  • playing this week on a six day break poses no greater risk in terms of re-injury;
then we should be playing Redpath given that he played well last week. We don’t have a lot of options up forward at the moment. Dickson, Stringer, Crameri and Cloke are all unavailable or not fit enough.
I don't think Bevo or MC would risk reinjury to any of our players. Totally crazy, I would think.

I don't think Bevo or MC would risk reinjury to any of our players. Totally crazy, I would think.

I agree. If the advice is that Red is more likely to re-injure himself, then you would think that they wouldn't play him.

I am amazed that he is back so soon, but you just have to put your faith in the coaching staff and medical team.

Concerned about Dicko though. I wonder if he has had a setback?

I agree. If the advice is that Red is more likely to re-injure himself, then you would think that they wouldn't play him.

I am amazed that he is back so soon, but you just have to put your faith in the coaching staff and medical team.

Surely the knee is as healed and as strong as it's ever going to be by this point. If re-injury was still a risk he wouldn't be playing either AFL or VFL.

I think one thing people fail to understand is that being cleared medically to play VFL is the same as to play AFL.

Re Dicko: Bev said he is a certainty to be back next week.

We desperately needing a leading link-up forward that can take a grab or at least create a contest in the air. Our forays forward after Cloke went out injured have been pretty poor.

Surely the knee is as healed and as strong as it's ever going to be by this point. If re-injury was still a risk he wouldn't be playing either AFL or VFL.

I think one thing people fail to understand is that being cleared medically to play VFL is the same as to play AFL.
Yep - players typically begin to play VFL because of the fact that the lower stakes games means that they can play on limited minutes or otherwise play a weaker game because they have "rustiness", or that, having not played for months and months, we simply assume that their form will be worse/hard to judge. Had we known Redpath would have played the VFL game he did, we would have played him straight in the AFL game (he didn't seem to have any rustiness and he wasn't on limited minutes so match fitness wasn't an issue). It's just that he didn't instantly warrant a place in our best 22 given he's a fringe player.

Wallis on the other hand was playing limited minutes in his first game, and is still developing match fitness through playing a 2nd and 3rd game in the VFL.

And before people say "well they both missed the pre-season aren't they both lacking match fitness" well yeah that's why the players wear GPS's in training and games and we have multiple medical/sports science staff members who monitor that sort of stuff and can determine whether a player needs multiple "match fitness games" (Wallis) or none at all (Redpath) depending on how quickly they were fatigued during training etc.

Re Dicko: Bev said he is a certainty to be back next week.
I'd suspect in the seniors as well. My read on it was he gets a spell to ensure he is fresh for next week, as it would have been tough to get up for cats game after Eagles game. We could well have Wallis, Dicko, Roughy and Cloke all back next week.

I'd suspect in the seniors as well. My read on it was he gets a spell to ensure he is fresh for next week, as it would have been tough to get up for cats game after Eagles game. We could well have Wallis, Dicko, Roughy and Cloke all back next week.

Why couldn't he play VFL then? No travel.

I agree with what you say, although at least in the VFL you can manage the player's time on the field. If you do that in the AFL, and it is a reason we lose, then there is the fair question on whether the player should have been selected. This is not a comment specific to Red's injury, just a general observation which may be more applicable to soft tissue injuries.

Have you ever heard of something called structure?

Do you think he would be playing if Roughy or Cloke were fit? I would say that it's highly unlikely.

What would be your argument for leaving him out? What's the risk of playing him? It's not like we are spoiled for choice. It is "desperate" in the sense that it was desperate playing Cordy as a CHF in the Grand Final. Injuries force you to make less than ideal selection choices.
Can't agree with that call

Campbell is fit, but Bev obviously has no faith in him anymore and would rather have Boyd in the ruck than him.

Very happy to see Redpath back. Makes our side look much better on paper with that extra tall in. Happy for Big Red to have a few games in the firsts and try to establish his position in the side before Cloke and Crameri are fit again. Hopefully our goal kicking improves with him back.

Don't have any issues with the other selections. Probably best to be cautious with Wallis and Dickson, both are way too important to risk injuries from rushing them back too quickly. Dale and Webb deserve games after strong VFL form.

Really excited about this game. They are obviously going to go in strong favourites with our outs but you always have to give us a chance these days. We seem to be able to lift against the better teams (like the GWS game), we'd need to because if we start like we did last week and give away a 4 goal head start, I don't think we'll be able to reel it in.

In Bevo's presser before the flight he said Dickson was rested from all footy this week but will be back next week.. i assume because of the 6 day break between the VFL game and Geelong game he means available for AFL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back