Preview Changes/Preview v Brions

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I’m pretty much out in a limb here with most of you. However, I was very heartened by Sammy Wright’s performance in the VFL at the weekend. The previous week against Sandringham, I remarked on how well/fit he looked physically - having seen him up close at Arden Street. He was quiet that day, apart from one superb contested, diving intercept. I’m very bullish about Sam if he replaces LMac this week.

In: Wright; Wood; Higgins, LDU
Out: LMac (inj); Ahern; Hrovat; Taylor

If Durdin replaced JMac, I wouldn’t complain.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Durdin back for LMac
LDU back in for Taylor
Hosie would make better structural sense for Hrovat if Wood isn’t available

Would love to see Crocker get a run but not sure how many changes this week is realistic, especially in a backline that’s already trying to resettle.

Would be great to see JMac hit contests as hard as LMac in his absence.
That's what I'd do, despite NN's quote above. Ahern had some nice moments but needs to be better, but at this point of the season we've screwed with his continuity and confidence so much that I'd like to see at least a couple more games in the ones to settle in. Not without some frank and fearless feedback along the way of course. I'm not as bothered by his disposal numbers as I would be most other weeks. Nobody in the midfield got much of it.

Durdin in if there's a matchup for him, otherwise Sammy W I guess.

LDU for Hrovat, and either Wood or Hosie for Taylor.

If Higgins is good to go, dunno whether that would be at the expense of LDU or someone else.

I really think Durdin in regardless and have him mark either mcinerney or hipwood allow Thompson to play the third tall

Just a query to those who know better. If Higgins is able to come back in, would he be actually fitter, given it was an A/C issue, or would his sprint training have been curtailed as well? Obviously, his match fitness would have suffered. However, would he have been able to build on his tank over the last few weeks?

Outs: Ahern, Taylor, LMac, JMac and Hrovat

Ins: Higgins, Wood, Durdin, LDU and Hosie

Let Higgins play off half back.

FB: Marley Taz Thompson
HB: Higgins Durdin Atley

LDU will give us the extra mid to rotate.

If we want Higgins to play in the midfield. Play Turner in the back pocket and move Thommo up higher.

North Melbourne

Get them in: The Roos recalled Jy Simpkin after just one VFL game when he was demoted, and Luke Davies-Uniacke (31 disposals, 11 tackles) might have a similar experience. Sam Durdin and Sam Wright will be eyeing Luke McDonald's defensive spot.

Under the pump: Second-gamer Curtis Taylor struggled to make an impact against Essendon, while Paul Ahern hasn't grabbed his latest chance and Nathan Hrovat is always borderline.

Medical room: Higgins (AC joint) is pushing hard to return after last playing almost six weeks ago, and late withdrawal Mason Wood (quad) is a strong contender to return. However, Luke McDonald's season is over because of a fracture near his right ankle, while Nick Larkey again suffered from heart palpitations late in North's loss to Essendon. Meanwhile, Majak Daw (hips/pelvis) played a half in his second VFL game back, and Tom Wilkinson (ankle) returned.

Verdict: Will Higgins and Wood be fit? Is Larkey OK? Will the Roos replace McDonald with a defender or just reshuffle? Assuming everyone's fit: Higgins, Wood and Wright for Ahern, Taylor and McDonald. Possibly one more week in the VFL for LDU, or the Roos send Hrovat back to the state league. - Marc McGowan

Outs: Ahern, Taylor, LMac, JMac and Hrovat

Ins: Higgins, Wood, Durdin, LDU and Hosie

Let Higgins play off half back.

FB: Marley Taz Thompson
HB: Higgins Durdin Atley

LDU will give us the extra mid to rotate.

If we want Higgins to play in the midfield. Play Turner in the back pocket and move Thommo up higher.

I wouldn’t be disappointed if it did turn out like you want, Roo. However, I can’t see us going beyond 4 changes.

I don’t think it’s quite as dire as that yet Tazaa. I’m putting my faith in “we lost a close one, let’s move on quickly”. The injuries have built up (same for nearly all teams) but Higgins is the only really crucial one - hopefully, he’s back in this week. The rest are still eminently replaceable, I think. As for Jed, he’s a bull, I think he can push through to the end of the season, as long as he doesn’t cop an injury. It’s a really tough challenge against Brisbane but we’re up to our necks in this game. The gap between our best and worst has narrowed considerably - fingers crossed. We do desperately need Higgins, though.

My outs would be McDonald (inj) Taylor Ahern MacMillan and Hrovat.
Rat was okay but if the club want to give Hosie a shot then I’m all for it.
Higgins, Wood, LDU and Durdin should all return.

This team can beat Brisbane:

B: Durdin Thompson Williams
HB: Pittard Tarrant Atley
C: Dumont Cunnington Polec
HF: Anderson Larkey Ziebell
F: Wood Brown Zurharr
R: Goldstein Higgins Simpkin
I: Thomas Turner LDU Hosie/Hrovat

Last edited:
My outs would be McDonald (inj) Taylor Ahern MacMillan and Hrovat.
Rat was okay but if the club want to give Hosie a shot then I’m all for it.
Higgins, Wood, LDU and Durdin should all return.

This team can beat Brisbane:

B: Durdin Thompson Williams
HB: Pittard Tarrant Atley
C: Dumont Cunnington Polec
HF: Anderson Larkey Ziebell
F: Wood Brown Zurharr
R: Goldstein Cunnington Simpkin
I: Thomas Turner LDU Hosie/Hrovat

You said Higgins should return but then didn't pick him. I would leave either Turner or Hosie/Hrovat out if Higgo is fit.

You said Higgins should return but then didn't pick him. I would leave either Turner or Hosie/Hrovat out if Higgo is fit.
Had Cunnington twice
Wish we could have that luxury

Had Cunnington twice
Wish we could have that luxury

Yep. Missed that one.

Two Cunningtons would be sensational. 30 to 40 contested possessions and clearances each week.

I would still prefer an extra mid-fielder on the bench rather than to have it loaded with small to medium forward types. Maybe last chance saloon for Ahern and either Turner or Hrovat goes out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah keep MacMillan in and play him on Cameron just for comedic relief.

Turner is a tricky one though, can't drop him because his trade value would reduce, same for Frog.

It doesn't matter who, as the bloke is as slow as treacle, but it was tactical idiocy leaving him roam around unattended considering his disposal skills.

Surprised at the recalls for Sammy. Love him, great clubman, etc, but surely we're now all about the future, and sadly, Sammy ain't it. I'd rather give another defender like McKay a go; tough game, hostile environment, opponent is flying, let's starting getting more of these games into him.

Or Durds. But I think McKay has more upside.

Why not? I believe ANY coach from now on should be looking to tag him, unless they believe they are too good. The two games where he was tagged, we lost and our entire midfield suffered greatly.

I'm thinking we won't hard tag but may have someone like Berry or Robinson run with. We tried to tag Cripps and Cunnington is probably as important to North

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back