Preview Changes/Preview v Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

He played wing in the VFL last year, now backline. He doesn’t look a physical player either. To chuck him in at AFL level for a first game in a position hasn’t trained for is asking for trouble and not very fair on Howes either.
Thats why, in our current sides form, they shouldn't promote him.

If we were going full on, he could be covered to play from the bench; to play an outside type role.
But the last couple off D's games have been week and mediocre, and he would get overly exposed.

Played more like a flanker who could mark.
That's what I see in Howes. Either running Back Flank, Wing, or Half-Forward.

A little like a Hannan style.
But hopefully he will be better in clinches, when he's ready.

Hopefully he can show the flair & composure required to play forward soon enough.

Last edited:
I don't watch Casey so I am unfamiliar with the players who have not debuted. Is Howes damaging with his disposal?

We have too many players who can rack up touches but have make no positive impact when they get their hands on it. Or in Gus' case, have a negative impact.

Bowey needs to be moved to the forward half. He has a good boot and decision making skills which is seriously lacking in the current midfield mix. It feels like he is always trying to set up a teammate for a shot on goal when he is kicking into the forward 50. Does he have the tank to pinch ANB's or Spargo's role?

Could we have Bowey do a few CBAs and see what happens? Can't be worse than Gus!

Could we have Bowey do a few CBAs and see what happens? Can't be worse than Gus!
Ah, yes it could be lol. He's 70kg wringing wet. Brayshaw shouldn't play CBAs but that's not because he's a bad clearance midfielder. Its because he's more of the same, can't kick under pressure, and is a strong intercept mark which is totally wasted in the middle. He's also fat and can barely run.

Definitely not 0 chance.
Yeah I'm pretty flat about us but it's a weak year and form can change quickly. Not looking likely atm but wouldn't call the year a write off just yet.

Ah, yes it could be lol. He's 70kg wringing wet. Brayshaw shouldn't play CBAs but that's not because he's a bad clearance midfielder. Its because he's more of the same, can't kick under pressure, and is a strong intercept mark which is totally wasted in the middle. He's also fat and can barely run.
Butters and Rozee dicked our much bigger mids in the wet two weeks ago. They're not much bigger than Bowey. He has some poise and smarts which should complement Clarry/Trac/Vines if they can get it to him. We should use Kozz or Rivers (Maybe Chandler for a bit?) more first but I wouldn't mind seeing how Bowey goes in a couple.

Butters and Rozee dicked our much bigger mids in the wet two weeks ago. They're not much bigger than Bowey. He has some poise and smarts which should complement Clarry/Trac/Vines if they can get it to him. We should use Kozz or Rivers (Maybe Chandler for a bit?) more first but I wouldn't mind seeing how Bowey goes in a couple.
Bowey doesn't play anything like Butters and Rozee mate c'mon.

Bowey doesn't play anything like Butters and Rozee mate c'mon.
I agree, more saying that just because he's small doesn't mean he can't go through the middle. We mostly play brick shithouses in there and are slow/one dimensional as a result.

Probably still make finals and anything can happen but look a bit off the best teams. Still think we can turn it around but nothing convincing yet.
Get Clarry, Petty back, Gawn hopefully works into the season with Grundy, backline gels again, we’re every chance, but lot needs to go right.

I agree, more saying that just because he's small doesn't mean he can't go through the middle. We mostly play brick shithouses in there and are slow/one dimensional as a result.
Oh I like the randomness of the selection but I don't think Bowey inside the centre is the answer. We could try roll him up from the back more

Yeah I'm pretty flat about us but it's a weak year and form can change quickly. Not looking likely atm but wouldn't call the year a write off just yet.

Definitely not 0 chance.
I'm pretty pissed about it all too but Jesus Christ some people need to calm the * down. We're 7 wins, 4 losses and still currently top 4 and can still launch from here - I know our form against top 8 sides is frustrating, but then again Collingwood would have to be the only team in the league that isn't a "flat track bully".
Richmond were at the same win-loss as us right now in both 2019/2020. Dees supporters were losing hope after RD19, 2021. My Geelong in-laws were losing their s**t when they were 5-4 last year (and we were 9-0). Things can change very quickly and anything's possible.

I'm not saying it's a shoe in and I could be very wrong but whatever, I just can't fathom losing hope when we're still top 4 halfway through the season

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As one of your glorious leaders, I hereby give you all permission to panic if we lose tomorrow night.
How do we control ourselves if we beat Collingwood the next week?

but yeah all that being said, I'd be very very depressed if we lost to Carlton

As one of your glorious leaders, I hereby give you all permission to panic if we lose tomorrow night.

Such a no win game. A limp over the line win sure won't brighten my mood.

Surely something can make you happy about a win tomorrow...

Genuinely don't think so, even if we flog them I'll think to myself "we've flogged s**t teams all year, this means nothing" haha...pies next week is all that matters in my mind, a chance to break the perception that we can't beat sides that are average or better.

Genuinely don't think so, even if we flog them I'll think to myself "we've flogged s**t teams all year, this means nothing" haha...pies next week is all that matters in my mind, a chance to break the perception that we can't beat sides that are average or better.
Classic Melbourne would be lose tomorrow. You and TK announce you're ready to give up the game and then we flog the Pies and you get sucked back in.

Classic Melbourne would be lose tomorrow. You and TK announce you're ready to give up the game and then we flog the Pies and you get sucked back in.

The board will be entertaining for sure if we lose.

I've thought of something that could make me happy, Goody not playing TMac or Brown and JVR kicking 5+.

Yeah, belt them by over 100. Otherwise, still going to be grumpy.
Yeah fair enough, I still enjoy thrashing to an extent cos that's what everyone used to do to us lol. But idk, I've never been disappointed with a win before.
Plus Carlton are absolutely playing for their season/finals right now so there's gotta be something in stopping them. they win this , and then they're only 2 points outside the 8.

I'd love to see a player kick a bag, Kosi Pickett in Alice Springs is the only one we've had since 2021 but our gameplan just doesn't really allow for it too much. Watch Curnow kick 7 now that I've said that

I thought this against Freo and was bloody pissed off when we lost, a win is a win and always so much better. We couldn’t buy a win for like 6-7 years, take any of them when you can!

I'll be shoving anything and everything I can find up my nose if we win tomorrow night. Other places too. It's ******* Carlton, it can never ever be anything but glorious if we win. I don't care how shitty our victory is I'm going to have the time of my life if we get up.
100+ or falling over the line, makes no difference to me, * those campaigners.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back