Preview Changes/preview v Freo | Ben10/Frog/Jy/Nielson 4 W80/Jmac/Wood/Clarke

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am surprised how many people are still arguing that because our "average age" is still relatively high compared to other teams in the competition, we are not playing enough young players.

Personally, I think the average age statistic is irrelevant. Last year we were significantly the oldest team in the comp. While a lot of the older players departed, we still have quite a few on the list, and we know that by next year a number of them will depart as well.

The list regeneration was always going to be a multiple year cycle. This year is only phase one. The numbers do not look great compared to other teams, but internally, we have made significant inroads this year and we will again this coming off-season.

Good changes for mine. Really looking forward to seeing Nielson in action and Jy back in the seniors. Would have liked us to unleash the Zurhaar but still a nice reward for effort and will push him to work even harder at VFL level knowing he is closer to an AFL debut.

I agree. While there are some old branches sticking out, and we haven't finished the pruning job, we should look at the number debuting and not the average age. Also, because of our past sins, I think you will find that the 'games played' stat aligns a lot better than the average age stat when looking at indicators/markers for list assessment.

I am surprised how many people are still arguing that because our "average age" is still relatively high compared to other teams in the competition, we are not playing enough young players.

Personally, I think the average age statistic is irrelevant. Last year we were significantly the oldest team in the comp. While a lot of the older players departed, we still have quite a few on the list, and we know that by next year a number of them will depart as well.

The list regeneration was always going to be a multiple year cycle. This year is only phase one. The numbers do not look great compared to other teams, but internally, we have made significant inroads this year and we will again this coming off-season.

Good changes for mine. Really looking forward to seeing Nielson in action and Jy back in the seniors. Would have liked us to unleash the Zurhaar but still a nice reward for effort and will push him to work even harder at VFL level knowing he is closer to an AFL debut.
And that is a natural reaction of most people - when faced with facts it's easier to ignore them or explain them away as not being relevant.

To be clear i have no problem with the youngsters we have tried and are trying - however at this stage of the season we should be doing more though - especially Preuss and Durdin. Clarke being dropped while we play Swallow and Thomas is just completely inconsistent with the notion that we are prioritising kids.

We are a younger side this week with the changes we have made - this is a good sign but that trend needs to continue for the reminder of the season.

Just don't understand what value dropping arguably our most promising young mid achieves at this stage in our list development - makes absolutely no sense dropping a kid after a couple quieter weeks when you don't hold the senior players to the same standard.

He has been pretty average. I think it is a good move to ensure he doesn't think he is entitled.

Not consistent with many other decisions but still the right one.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

He has been pretty average. I think it is a good move to ensure he doesn't think he is entitled.

Not consistent with many other decisions but still the right one.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
But that is the nature of young players - they will be inconsistent - if we were pushing the 8 then yes maybe give him a rest but at 17th on the ladder, please, lets get games and experience into young players that offer some prospects.

Brad's way of 'teaching by dropping' would really piss young players off when they see the same rules don't apply to older players.

But that is the nature of young players - they will be inconsistent - if we were pushing the 8 then yes maybe give him a rest but at 17th on the ladder, please, lets get games and experience into young players that offer some prospects.

Brad's way of 'teaching by dropping' would really piss young players off when they see the same rules don't apply to older players.
Simpkin has taken his place, so that means we have nielson, hibberd, simpkin and mountford playing with less than 10 games xp.
Need SOME experience in the side to ensure they're not running around like headless chooks.
I'm happy with the mix

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Simpkin has taken his place, so that means we have nielson, hibberd, simpkin and mountford playing with less than 10 games xp.
Need SOME experience in the side to ensure they're not running around like headless chooks.
I'm happy with the mix

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Yeah that's right except when the experienced players are are the headless chooks - Goldy, Thompson & Thomas in particular

On current form:

Clarke > LT
Pruess > Goldy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LT had three times the influence that Clarke had on the match last week.
Agreed, and that's the only "current form" LT has.

I get bored saying the same things, but the same silly arguments keep coming up. "Average age" is a pretty useless stat, made even more meaningless when a ladder position is added with no context at all. The "third oldest" team could be about two weeks on average older than the "fourth youngest" - or one older player can make all the difference - and we never know. The ladder just gets pushed as if it tells us anything useful.

And I don't agree at all that comparison with other clubs is all that matters. Either we are ok with the direction of this team and list or we aren't. How much it resembles anyone else's couldn't be less relevant.

Anyway, deserved favourites tomorrow and could be above Collingwood by the end of the weekend, I think?

Agreed, and that's the only "current form" LT has.

I get bored saying the same things, but the same silly arguments keep coming up. "Average age" is a pretty useless stat, made even more meaningless when a ladder position is added with no context at all. The "third oldest" team could be about two weeks on average older than the "fourth youngest" - or one older player can make all the difference - and we never know. The ladder just gets pushed as if it tells us anything useful.

And I don't agree at all that comparison with other clubs is all that matters. Either we are ok with the direction of this team and list or we aren't. How much it resembles anyone else's couldn't be less relevant.

Anyway, deserved favourites tomorrow and could be above Collingwood by the end of the weekend, I think?
As i said the natural reaction of most people is to ignore the stats in front of them or explain them away because it doesn't fit the story they would like to be reading.

You say ....how much it (our list) resembles anyone else's couldn't be less relevant........ladder position tells us nothing at all..

That's fine if we played intra club games every week - but we are part of, you know, a competition, so what everyone else is doing and ladder position is very relevant and ignoring it will lead to poor outcomes.

As i said the natural reaction of most people is to ignore the stats in front of them or explain them away because it doesn't fit the story they would like to be reading.

You say ....how much it (our list) resembles anyone else's couldn't be less relevant........ladder position tells us nothing at all..

That's fine if we played intra club games every week - but we are part of, you know, a competition, so what everyone else is doing and ladder position is very relevant and ignoring it will lead to poor outcomes.

Pretty sure you know that's not at all what I said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back