Preview Changes/preview v. Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting Goodwin flagging Petty playing if fit. I don't know if I'd drop Tomo or Smith for him after KB and not sure about playing an extra tall in the forwardline. That being said Smith is pretty versatile so it might still work.

Interesting Goodwin flagging Petty playing if fit. I don't know if I'd drop Tomo or Smith for him after KB and not sure about playing an extra tall in the forwardline. That being said Smith is pretty versatile so it might still work.
I don't particularly want another tall to come in, but perhaps the idea could be to use Smith in a tagging role on Stewart? Just task him with negating Stewart's intercept game and try to prevent him winning easy ball, while JVR and Petty play more 'true KPF' roles.

Smith's got pretty much the perfect athletic profile to go with Stewart, so might be something to consider.

I think the conventional wisdom is too many talls in the forward line means the opposition waltz the ball out at ground level.

That would be true if it was Brown or Tmac, but like you say Smith is versatile and I think he plays much more like a small on the ground defensively. I don’t think he has the agility of a true small though or the ground level goal sense of a true small forward.

So I reckon they could go an extra tall in Smith because he doesn’t have the downside of a proper tall forward. I also don’t think he has the potential upside of a proper tall forward.

Should Smith be tasked with keeping Tom Stewart honest? It’s hard to see anyone else doing that role except maybe return of the Melk from left field (hopefully not).

Regardless, if Petty is straight back as is Oliver (and potentially Bowey too) then there will be three players who should be feeling unlucky based on KB.

Spargo getting tactically subbed out is one obvious possibility. Chandler and McVee only played mid to high 60% game time so are either being managed in-game or aren’t seen as important as some others who were on the ground more. A chance to rest Hibbo again or someone else who is carrying an unreported niggle?

So many possibilities.

I think the conventional wisdom is too many talls in the forward line means the opposition waltz the ball out at ground level.

That would be true if it was Brown or Tmac, but like you say Smith is versatile and I think he plays much more like a small on the ground defensively. I don’t think he has the agility of a true small though or the ground level goal sense of a true small forward.

So I reckon they could go an extra tall in Smith because he doesn’t have the downside of a proper tall forward. I also don’t think he has the potential upside of a proper tall forward.

Should Smith be tasked with keeping Tom Stewart honest? It’s hard to see anyone else doing that role except maybe return of the Melk from left field (hopefully not).

Regardless, if Petty is straight back as is Oliver (and potentially Bowey too) then there will be three players who should be feeling unlucky based on KB.

Spargo getting tactically subbed out is one obvious possibility. Chandler and McVee only played mid to high 60% game time so are either being managed in-game or aren’t seen as important as some others who were on the ground more. A chance to rest Hibbo again or someone else who is carrying an unreported niggle?

So many possibilities.
Why would you rest Hibberd in a must win game?

Why drop anyone for him. Just go into the game slightly taller.
Although if its wet and cold, maybe not this game.?

I think with the weather forecast, it's a good game to give Hibbo the night off.
Maybe good weather to suit someone with a solid build & a low centre of gravity... Sestan.? or maybe even Harmes.

If Hibbo alone is the difference between a win and a loss against an injury ravaged Geelong, the team is in trouble.

I also don’t think this is a “must win” game.

I look at Geelong and there no natural matchup for him.

Hawkins too big and strong.

Rohan too fast.

Cameron would blow Hibbo up, no way he could keep up endurance wise.

Ollie Henry is probably the one that is best fit as that medium forward. Perhaps Stengle but there must be a better matchup for him.

All of this is on the assumption they are trying to find ways to get Petty and Bowey into the team, and Hibberd could benefit from a further rest.

If Hibbo alone is the difference between a win and a loss against an injury ravaged Geelong, the team is in trouble.

I look at Geelong and there no natural matchup for him.

Hawkins too big and strong.

Rohan too fast.

Cameron would blow Hibbo up, no way he could keep up endurance wise.

Ollie Henry is probably the one that is best fit as that medium forward. Perhaps Stengle but there must be a better matchup for him.

All of this is on the assumption they are trying to find ways to get Petty and Bowey into the team, and Hibberd could benefit from a further rest.
Hibberd doesn't need 2 weeks off and I think the assumption that he would stick to Cameron for the whole game is wrong. There'd be rotations and such. If Cameron was out in the goal square May could spin onto him whole Tomlinson took Hawkins high.

Get Oliver right. We don't need him ready in round 14 or whatever it is we need him for September. Jack Viney can step up again without him

Why drop anyone for him. Just go into the game slightly taller.
Although if its wet and cold, maybe not this game.?

I think with the weather forecast, it's a good game to give Hibbo the night off.
Maybe good weather to suit someone with a solid build & a low centre of gravity... Sestan.? or maybe even Harmes.
Unfortunately you can't play 24 players, mate.

Hibbo has the legs to keep up with Cameron and Rohan. He always looks like he's blowing up, but he's quick over 20 metres (not as fast as Rohan, but few are) and has great middle-distance endurance. The guy is timeless.

Don't mind Petty in to play forward. I think its unlikely that both Tomlinson and Smith replicate their Pies games, and it is more likely than not that one of them makes way sooner rather than later. Petty in means one of Spargo and Chandler needs to be dropped. Spargo was subbed, but his disposal by foot becomes more valuable if we roll with three talls. Chandler spraying them by foot like the old days, but he definitely works harder than Spargo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hibbo has the legs to keep up with Cameron and Rohan. He always looks like he's blowing up, but he's quick over 20 metres (not as fast as Rohan, but few are) and has great middle-distance endurance. The guy is timeless.

Don't mind Petty in to play forward. I think its unlikely that both Tomlinson and Smith replicate their Pies games, and it is more likely than not that one of them makes way sooner rather than later. Petty in means one of Spargo and Chandler needs to be dropped. Spargo was subbed, but his disposal by foot becomes more valuable if we roll with three talls. Chandler spraying them by foot like the old days, but he definitely works harder than Spargo.
One of Chandler or Spargo will go surely. Chandler looks more likely to have shots on goal, but his errors have been horrendous last month or so. Against the Cats, that could be very costly. But Spargo has been invisible really. Tough call, but i reckon Spargo will be dropped, but wouldn't be surprised if he comes in for Chandler the following week if Chandler plays another poor game. Our small forwards really need to lift. Koz been awful as well.

Possibly the most obsolete sporting term ever. Unless you’re 8 points clear on top in round 23 what game is not ever ‘must win’?

Simple. Cold, Icy wet -weather conditions, are just the worst case for someone nursing an Achilles injury.
Achilles/calf or vica-verca, its a no-go in freezing conditions.

We want him firing come September. Not on crutches.

He needs to play a summer sport if we are going to treat him like 1 billion dollar pitcher in baseball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back