Preview Changes & Preview vs Geelong Cats

May 27, 2002
Torquay
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bulldogs
So I live in Torquay and before that a family beach house in Torquay so I have been to probably 15 games at Kardina park in the last 25 so years and can remember only 3 wins.
Chris Grant was moved from CHB to CHF and kicked 3 second half goals. Not sure which year, think around 97/97
Kym Koster played a blinder and kicked the winning goal. Note sure which year think around 97/98
Brad Johnson kicked 4 and we won quite easy 2003. I don't remember winning since and each year I go with hope. A few times recently have been close.

I've always stood up behind the rows of seats, initially half forward and then behind the goals. I've never had any trouble there. Would even say the Cats v Dogs supporter can have a bit of "outer banter" without it escalating. Probably because they always beat us!
Gee in the 2 first wins listed above the bulldog faithful were loud and we got big "BULLDOGS" chants goings.

This year I'm going to Queensland so will miss the first Geelong game in years.

Any of the Stat guys no our official record down there, is my memory of 3 wins in 20 so years correct?

Braybrook Son

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 4, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The last time I went to Geelong, was in the 90s. Grant took a screamer in the goal square and kicked the winning goal. I think we won by a couple of goals. Haven’t been back since, and probably won’t as our record down there is one of the worst in the league and I would say we’ve traveled down there the most out of any team in the last 30 years!

May 27, 2002
Torquay
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bulldogs
The last time I went to Geelong, was in the 90s. Grant took a screamer in the goal square and kicked the winning goal. I think we won by a couple of goals. Haven’t been back since, and probably won’t as our record down there is one of the worst in the league and I would say we’ve traveled down there the most out of any team in the last 30 years!
But did you enjoy that win like no other!!! Bit like beating Carlton in the Princess Park days when they were a strong club and sticking it up Elliot!!

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
R14 1985 was a good win, although if Gnats had kicked straight we would have struggled, but Bamblett was on fire late in the game, Beaser kicked 7 and Royal and Purser played blinders.
1985 was also notable for away wins at KP and Vic Park in the same year two grounds where historically we struggled to win at all.
Also, Beasley then kicked 12 against Melbourne the following week in R15 as part of our greatest ever winning margin - and only got 1 Brownlow vote!
R18 he backed up with 12 more against Tiggers - this time 3 Brownlow votes.
R21 we beat Pies at Vic Park as well... (then inexplicably lost to lowly Aints at Moorabbin in R22 after leading for 3 quarters, where I believe players just switched off en masse in the last quarter to let them kick 7 goals virtually unanswered, and I also believe contributed to our abysmal performance in the QF the next week).

Proffessor

Club Legend
Jan 21, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Although I thought Lachie Young had his best game so far on the weekend, if anyone makes way for English (or anyone else for that matter) it should be him. He can go back to the VFL after a positive performance, continue to develop and come back stronger at a later date.

Roberts performed reasonably well, and deserves to hold his place in the side above Young.

Yojimbo

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 14, 2012
The "Elephant" in the room.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The volume Best 22 (After eight games, in order)

Bontempelli, Macrae, Hunter, Suckling, Daniel, Dunkley, Johannisen, Liberatore,
English, Wallis, Lloyd, Crozier, McLean, Trengove, Hayes, Naughton, Duryea,
B.Smith, Dickson, La.Young, Richards, Williams.

Followed by: (In order)

Gowers, Wood, Schache, Le.Young, Cordy, Roberts.

Don't ask me to explain, just bathe in the greatness.

Sep 27, 2011
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
New York Yankees
Although I thought Lachie Young had his best game so far on the weekend, if anyone makes way for English (or anyone else for that matter) it should be him. He can go back to the VFL after a positive performance, continue to develop and come back stronger at a later date.

Roberts performed reasonably well, and deserves to hold his place in the side above Young.
I think Geelongs mobility up forward sees us retaining Young over Roberts if in fact one has to go for English. That said they could both be dropped if Williams gets a call up as well.

Any of the Stat guys no our official record down there, is my memory of 3 wins in 20 so years correct?
Wish granted:

Here's some records:
1557893129322.png

* These winning sequences were interspersed with some games at Waverley Park - they are excluded from the sequence shown here.

That lowest score at WO in 1965 was in fact our lowest score ever, anywhere, since 1925 (VFL/AFL era). From memory Graham Ion kicked the solitary goal. Sad to see that our accuracy hasn't improved much in the 50-odd years since!

And here's every game ever played v Geelong (thanks to AFL Tables for the raw data). Hope you can read it!
1557893260893.png

Last edited:

Dazb86

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I feel like our indigenous guernsey should be one of the easiest ones to make in the league but we continually make it look terrible haha.

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I feel like our indigenous guernsey should be one of the easiest ones to make in the league but we continually make it look terrible haha.

This one is absolutely horrible, burn it!

I haven’t minded most of them but that design is all over the joint.

Makes the Thor jumper look like a masterpiece

Back