Preview Changes & Preview vs Geelong Cats

So, as hinted, English hasn't come up. Too valuable an asset to risk if he's still "sore", but I wonder if the club is telling us the whole story? I'm just concerned there may be something structural or a soft tissue injury that they're keeping quiet about.

Congrats to Fletcher Roberts who retains his spot.

Rhylee West on the emergency list is a sign that he's not too far away from a call-up, but is he genuinely ahead of players like Webb or is it just that he brings a point of difference (ie physicality, tackling)?

Ratugolea rested by Geelong but they've brought in first-gamer Fort who is even taller (and no stranger to the Bulldogs).

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
No English this weeks hurts.

I predicted Hayes to be a honeychurch like pest that won’t f**k off and will be constantly selected. And I’m not wrong. He is ****.
Hes twice the player Honey was and hes genuinely good depth if injuries hit but * theres about 6 similar blokes at footscray right now id prefer.

Spewing no English, hurts us massively but it is what it is no point risking him.

Needed another tall forward and Schache was really good in the VFL and should have never been dropped in the first place. No idea what Williams has to do, could be such a weapon off either half back or half forward yet weve wasted him on a tall for a couple of weeks then thrown him in the VFL to rot.

Dale and Lip could have been nice additions for Hayes.

But all in all still a good team with winning form. So not too unhappy, just feel theres still plenty of room for improvement in the selections.

Ash1337

Club Legend
Apr 11, 2009
Albany
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I suspect Stewart will be a late out for cats.

The call of Hayes being like Honeychurch is so stupid so is the call for not dropping Schache. Hayes has way better composure and disposal also pace and footy brain. He's just not the tackling chaser that Honey was. Schache hasn't really done much in VFL either from reports.

I Reckon Roberts will be fine on Hawkins.

Doggy

Brownlow Medallist
May 20, 2006
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I suspect Stewart will be a late out for cats.

The call of Hayes being like Honeychurch is so stupid so is the call for not dropping Schache. Hayes has way better composure and disposal also pace and footy brain. He's just not the tackling chaser that Honey was. Schache hasn't really done much in VFL either from reports.

Eh? Stewart will play .. if anyone won't it's Atkins

Had a chuckle at the Bulldog app which shows the teams. I know they won't line up like that (and don't even play like that any more) but they have Roberts on Dahlhaus and Daniel on Hawkins.

I watched the VFL last week and Bailey Williams did everything that could of been asked of him and more. What ever happened to rewarding VFL form, try him forward or fess up.
Lipinski would be wondering why he signed an extension.
I know some people are fed up with Hayes and/or Gowers but they are in a side that is winning important games at the moment. MC obviously thinks they've been doing enough of the small things to retain their spot. Watching live and on the replays I can see both of them involved in setting up goals, but usually all we remember are the occasional howler or missed easy shot at goal.

In recent years we've had so many injuries, sometimes combined with a string of poor team performances, that anyone with a skerrick of VFL form could get a game. We all acknowledged as much last year - Lynch for instance was lucky to have debuted. We have to be grateful we have a modest injury list compared to previous years. That means some good players are going to miss out each week. It's a good thing. "No Change" is something we haven't seen enough of in recent years.

These blokes like Williams, Lippi and Lew Young are just going to have to be patient. We are only one bad loss away from 2-3 changes. Maybe more than 2-3 changes if there are injuries to senior players as well.

People have pointed out admiringly in the past that teams like Hawthorn and West Coast sometimes take 2-3 years developing their younger players and honing their craft in the state league before they say "OK, you're ready for a regular game in the seniors now". However when we do that sort of thing it's interpreted as Bevo playing favourites or being biased against a particular player.

I'll be hoping there's once again no need for them to get a senior call up next week, but I'm sure they'll get a chance soon enough.

Nov 29, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Memphis Grizzlies
I feel like I'm watching a different Hayes than everyone else. He's no star but he runs both ways, sets up a goal or two a game and sometimes kicks one of his own. He plays his role very consistently across four quarters, and for all the class of Dale and Lipinski they are very inconsistent players and can go missing for huge parts of the game, not to mention they're not as good defensively as Hayes. They'll get their chance eventually but Hayes as been nowhere near as bad as some people are saying and doesn't deserve to be dropped.

Yojimbo

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 14, 2012
The "Elephant" in the room.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I know some people are fed up with Hayes and/or Gowers but they are in a side that is winning important games at the moment. MC obviously thinks they've been doing enough of the small things to retain their spot. Watching live and on the replays I can see both of them involved in setting up goals, but usually all we remember are the occasional howler or missed easy shot at goal.

In recent years we've had so many injuries, sometimes combined with a string of poor team performances, that anyone with a skerrick of VFL form could get a game. We all acknowledged as much last year - Lynch for instance was lucky to have debuted. We have to be grateful we have a modest injury list compared to previous years. That means some good players are going to miss out each week. It's a good thing. "No Change" is something we haven't seen enough of in recent years.

These blokes like Williams, Lippi and Lew Young are just going to have to be patient. We are only one bad loss away from 2-3 changes. Maybe more than 2-3 changes if there are injuries to senior players as well.

People have pointed out admiringly in the past that teams like Hawthorn and West Coast sometimes take 2-3 years developing their younger players and honing their craft in the state league before they say "OK, you're ready for a regular game in the seniors now". However when we do that sort of thing it's interpreted as Bevo playing favourites or being biased against a particular player.

I'll be hoping there's once again no need for them to get a senior call up next week, but I'm sure they'll get a chance soon enough.
I love ya dog-watch, but we are four and four and our history of developing players in the twos well it's not a long list.
The sad thing for us is if most of our players get dropped back to the VFL they are going to be there a while. I don't
care who plays from week to week, but Williams game was outstanding and he is no Jarryd Roughead in terms of age.

Yojimbo

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 14, 2012
The "Elephant" in the room.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I feel like I'm watching a different Hayes than everyone else. He's no star but he runs both ways, sets up a goal or two a game and sometimes kicks one of his own. He plays his role very consistently across four quarters, and for all the class of Dale and Lipinski they are very inconsistent players and can go missing for huge parts of the game, not to mention they're not as good defensively as Hayes. They'll get their chance eventually but Hayes as been nowhere near as bad as some people are saying and doesn't deserve to be dropped.
With you, Hayes has been far from the worst, I guess you can only play 22 players.

I love ya dog-watch, but we are four and four and our history of developing players in the twos well it's not a long list.
The sad thing for us is if most of our players get dropped back to the VFL they are going to be there a while. I don't
care who plays from week to week, but Williams game was outstanding and he is no Jarryd Roughead in terms of age.
I do rate him higher than Lipinski or Lewis Young or Dale and wouldn't have been unhappy to see him get a game.

Just gotta bang a bit louder on that door. And for a bit longer too.

On that note ...

Knock Knock
Who's there?
Bailey.
What? BAILEY WHO?
Naah, no ballyhoo, Bev. Just wondering when I might get a game.
P*** off and try again next week son.

Back