Preview Changes: R10 2019 v West Coast - NOW WITH POLL!

Will the match committee opt for Jenkins or Himmelberg this week?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Crowhorse

Team Captain
Sep 22, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
If you talk about Gibbs’ skill and expertise vs his effort they are poles apart. I hope he can sort it out, but time is against him.

Shaz2012

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Great selections. I would have liked to see McHenry come in but looking at the emergencies in front of him it would have been a pretty big call. Still would have liked to see it but I am really happy that EH stays in. Didn’t see that coming at all.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
Are these selections a concession that the coaching staff don’t think we can win the premiership?

This is the closest thing we’ve seen to “backing in the kids” on a selection night in about two decades.
It does seem like that.

Godden said that after the North game they realised they had to change the game plan.

Maybe they realised some other things too.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
No Seedsman? Keep Mackay and Atkins?
FFS

Mackay named on bench for the first time this year. Meaningless in terms of minutes played, but there is a pecking order between starting 18, bench and emergencies. Both would want to perform over the next couple of weeks. Although, SANFL bye probably helps them with auto selection next week.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Great to see us persist with some younger players.

Only baffling one is Seedsman. If we didn't think he'd had enough footy lately... but Milera had?

Really though if Seedsman came in it would push out you know who which we know cannot happen as per our constitution

So we'll just leave it as Seedsman not included due to <reasons>

Only baffling one is Seedsman. If we didn't think he'd had enough footy lately... but Milera had?

Really though if Seedsman came in it would push out you know who which we know cannot happen as per our constitution

Seed has been out longer than Milera.

Perhaps we felt we couldn't risk them both.

ABAB

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide

Milera had a shoulder injury so he was able to keep up his fitness. Seedsman only started running a few weeks ago.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Godden on 5AA mentioning how we were beaten in the midfield and our lack of spread from the contest. Said Gibbs numbers were good in the first half, but "something had to give"
I wonder how many of our players have had 16 touches and two goals in a half before?

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Are these selections a concession that the coaching staff don’t think we can win the premiership?

This is the closest thing we’ve seen to “backing in the kids” on a selection night in about two decades.
I reckon they’ve worked out we can’t win the GF with the same team and have had to tweak it, if the moves come off then they would still give themselves a chance.

And the benefit is by making the moves early in the season Jones, Himmelberg and ROB will have played close to 20 games before we play finals, that depends on us keeping them in of course.

Jack is Back

Premiership Player
Apr 17, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
The selections suggest that a number of things have changed in our selection criteria this year.

1) Don’t play anyone who is only 90% fit regardless of their reputation. The SEED, Mrouch and possibly Dougie would have been selected last year.

2) Underperforming senior players have to demand their spot back with strong consistent performance.

3) We are prepared to back the KIDS. Yes, they will have poor matches but one poor performance is not instant dismissal. Unlike some posters, I had absolutely no doubt that Chayce would be retained and he will CONTINUE to play in the midfield. Moving Gallucci to the wing in the second half against Brisbane and Chayce from the wing into the guts improved our midfield

4) We have abandoned like-for-like selection. Gibbs is predominantly an inside mid, I thought he would be dropped if Mrouch was available but Milera for Gibbs is interesting. Will The Wayne be playing in the midfield? Will we play Smith, Milera and Gallucci on the wing?

5) It seems like Hartigan and Keath are fine since Andy Otten not named as an emergency.

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows

Milera's issue was a shoulder, that doesn't impede training like a knee with Seedsman

Grooster24

Club Legend
May 27, 2015
Dlusional
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Very, very strong word around Gibbs turned up way out of condition for pre-season training and finished with the tail enders in the 2km run...don't think that would have gone down too well with Pykey as opposed to many of the players returning P.B.'s for the run.

So you can take Gibbs outta Carlton but not take the Carlton out of Gibbs...

Last edited:

Squiba

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Godden on 5AA mentioning how we were beaten in the midfield and our lack of spread from the contest. Said Gibbs numbers were good in the first half, but "something had to give"

To me it looks like there is a clear goal to revamp the midfield mid, perhaps on Godden's behalf, but I imagine Puke would be in on it also. This would explain the retention of Gooch, immediate return of Milera and Jones being given a good run in the guts. We are looking at adding more spread and two way running around the ground to what is obviously a slow midfield group. Gibbs likely axed due to lack of intensity and potentially poor GPS numbers. If he had a big tank, he'd make a handy wingman.

Seed had a knee injury, Milera a shoulder. Milera has likely been running far far more than Seed, almost no loss of tank in that time and only losing in game touch.

Seed on the other hand, heavily managed minutes and running loads I imagine, likely to have soreness while building up to full load and I imagine the club would want to see him run out SANFL games without any complaints.

It's the right call imo.

Grooster24

Club Legend
May 27, 2015
Dlusional
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
I know there are a few Gallucci haters in here but pleased he gets one more chance. Thought he built into last week's game nicely. If he keeps on that trajectory he'll be useful to us

Don't think there's too many haters...just those that wish he offered more to his potential...

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
I wonder how many of our players have had 16 touches and two goals in a half before?
I'll give you the tip, none of that midfield have.

There has to be an underlying issue with Bryce. I've heard suggestions of a lack of defensive actions but if that's the case why is Atkins there ??

Back