Preview Changes: R10 2019 v West Coast - NOW WITH POLL!

Will the match committee opt for Jenkins or Himmelberg this week?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

To be fair, Dougie was more influential than the stats imply........ now do it for a month and then consider bringing him into the Ones. Jordan Butts looks great but was outmarked on a couple of occasions by a 19 year old rookie, not ready yet imho.

Despite the usual suspects moaning and groaning in unison, our selections and team placements have given our KIDS a chance to shine. Chayce started on the wing against the Lions and then spent the second half in the guts. Gallucci played most of his TOG in the second half on the wing with a couple of spurts in the guts.

Stengle is very unlucky but both Eddie and Smurph are near the top of the small forwards for goals + goal assists.
It is a close callthis week between The BERG and JJ. personally I would like to see The NED this week.

It gets annoying hearing Bickley in particular talking down our young players every chance he gets. He constantly talks down the likes of Berg and Fog and always backs the senior player, even if their form is poor. He would have been a shocking coach.

I'd like to see Stengle come in, but doubt they want three small forwards who can't roll through the midfield.
I doubt it would happen but Lachie Murphy played almost exclusively midfield/on the ball for the Northern Knights and won their B & F in 2016 playing only 10 TAC Cup games with school footy commitments at Ivanhoe Grammar. Lachie's looked pretty good in the SANFL when he's been given minutes in the midfield winning the inside ball and dishing it out to the runners but I guess we then lose his forward pressure.

http://nthknights.com.au/lachlan-murphy-wins-brent-harvey-best-fairest/

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader...t/news-story/1fa441f1784e34267ce413c30a2f50ec

ONE of the smallest players on the Northern Knights list stood tallest at the TAC Cup club’s awards night on Saturday.
Inside midfielder Lachlan Murphy was crowned the 2016 Brent Harvey best-and-fairest on the back of a sterling season.
The 173cm former Diamond Creek junior averaged 27 disposals and almost six tackles from 10 TAC Cup games while juggling school football commitments with Ivanhoe Grammar.
“He rarely gets beaten in a one-on-one contest, in fact he probably wins a lot of 70-30 ball. He marks well above his head, he’s strong around the stoppages with clearances and he’s a goalkicker.
“So he really ticks a lot of boxes. He is height challenged against other opponents but he continually finds a way.”
A member of the Knights’ leadership group, Murphy polled 84 votes to win the award from fellow midfielder Luke Bunker (78 votes) and rebounding defender Mason Blakey (75 votes).

“Lachie’s had doors shut in his face all year, with things like missing Vic Metro,” Northern Knights coach Andrew Shakespeare said.
“And playing school footy he hasn’t had that consistency. But every time he’s stepped out on the field he’s got better with each performance.

Plenty of rain about this weekend. Would it be worthwhile going small and dropping Himmelberg for Ned and leaving Jenkins out as well? Surely one of our bigger mids could pinch-hit in the ruck?

I can see why Berg looked buggered. On the Afl app, match day tracker, he covered the equal most distance in the team (14.4 Km). The other person is Atkins.

Atkins also covered more ground at high speed than any other player (3.1 km).

Food for thought. ;)
Atkins running around getting no possessions for 3 1/2 quarters. FMD.

Plenty of rain about this weekend. Would it be worthwhile going small and dropping Himmelberg for Ned and leaving Jenkins out as well? Surely one of our bigger mids could pinch-hit in the ruck?
I would bring in McAdam, McHenry, Stengle, Knight Jenkins.

Lynch Walker McHenry
Stengle Greenwood/Jenkins Mcadam.

Betts rested.
Gallucci dropped
Murphy dropped
Himmelberg dropped

Could also bring in Knight to tag Yeo. Would drop either one of Gibbs, CEY orAtkins for Knight. Team needs fresh legs and inform players. What a great way to debutant 2 indigenous players in indigenous round.

Last edited:
He was also talking as though Douglas was a lock to come in. Dougie had a paltry 13 disposals in the SANFL. Even our top up players get more of the ball than that.
You using the stats to make a decision on Douglas.

Yes, Douglas did not do enough on Sat, but I would not use the stats to determine that. As the Stats also highlight he was the best Crow for Clearances, In a side that was smashed in clearances. And don't forget Pykes comments re winning more clearances.
Most of the Crows stats were low in SANFL, the best was Seeds on 23 followed by JJ and Butts on 22, Pohokle re stats was the best Midfielder on 19. Douglas was 13.

Douglas is a chance.

Hickey and Vardy are beatable if you have a good ruck combination to combat them failing that West Coasts midfield will tear us apart if we allow those two to dominate.
The Crows cannot afford to run a substandard ruck against them they need 2 tall capable of running the game out,
ROB has 7 days to overcome a twisted ankle, And if he does he will be lucky to play 80% game time, Add to that The Crows do not have a Fit Ruck that will play more than 80% game time. (Jacobs was the last ruck to do that and that was a few years ago)
That means you want a half decent ruck to cover the 20% otherwise we will lose the game. in the middle again.

Last edited:
He was also talking as though Douglas was a lock to come in. Dougie had a paltry 13 disposals in the SANFL. Even our top up players get more of the ball than that.
Thankfully Hart doesn't have final say on selection. Pyke does. I watched the game. Douglas is no chance. Seedsman did some good stuff but looks a run short in the sanfl.

Thankfully Hart doesn't have final say on selection. Pyke does. I watched the game. Douglas is no chance. Seedsman did some good stuff but looks a run short in the sanfl.
Players like Seedsman and even Douglas only need a game or two to run the cobwebs out,
Also, Seedsman improved as the game went on and looked at times to be the most dominant player for the Crows, He was clean and his knee look good, If he pulls up OK I would play him this week against West Coast.
Douglas, when he went into the middle, was one of the better-contested players for the Crows, He also added a bit of toughness when Port got a run on. Albeit I don't believe he did enough, We need to remember, Both Douglas and Seedsman had limited time on the ball and spent some time on the bench.
Seedsman and Douglas will be selected on how they go on the training track this week, Not 1 game in the SANFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Changes
Matt if Fit for Gallucci,
JJ for Himmelberg
Seeds in for Atkins (Form) maybe Kelly (for mix only) there are some rumours about Smith as well.
Possible injuries,
ROB then Hunter is all we have but ROB should be OK which put more pressure on the JJ for Himmelberg change.
Hartigan looks OK, But if not then it Otten,
Keath if injured then its Butts he can play that intercept role and defend. also has some height.

As for the others,
Stengle should be in the AFL but who does he replace, Murphy still in by a whisker but would not want too many bad games.

While Douglas and Milera are smokies.

Douglas should not be coming in under any circumstances, but I fear he will be in. 13 possessions in the SANFL means he needs at least a few more weeks - at least.

If i'm dropping players for Seed and Matt I think its Kelly and Rat that are on the block. Kelly retained his place after Brown was brought back in, which is commendable, but it feels like we are running with 1 too many lock down types, and in turn keeping out a midfielder unnecessarily. And Brown is clearly the better player if we need to pick 1 for that small to medium lock down defender role!

Rat's form has been up and down, and while there are things I like, its still not reliable enough. Plus for me Seed is our best wingman, with daylight in second place. So regardless of how Rat is performing Seed at his best is again a clear upgrade and should be getting the games!

Wasn't Hartigan getting set to come back on?

He reappeared from the rooms, had been patched up and they had a new guernsey for him to replace his blood spattered one.

Then a little bit later the boundary rider announced that actually he wasn't coming back

Delayed symptoms perhaps. Though I wonder if it was more a cautionary thing rather than him instantly failing the concussion test

If i'm dropping players for Seed and Matt I think its Kelly and Rat that are on the block. Kelly retained his place after Brown was brought back in, which is commendable, but it feels like we are running with 1 too many lock down types, and in turn keeping out a midfielder unnecessarily. And Brown is clearly the better player if we need to pick 1 for that small to medium lock down defender role!

Rat's form has been up and down, and while there are things I like, its still not reliable enough. Plus for me Seed is our best wingman, with daylight in second place. So regardless of how Rat is performing Seed at his best is again a clear upgrade and should be getting the games!
Yea I would be looking at Seeds for Kelly just to get that mix better,
If it's based on Form then its Atkins base on last week. Either way both should be looking over there shoulder with Milera coming back. As MacKay doing the right things so far.

With Matt it has to be Gallucci.

Douglas should not be coming in under any circumstances, but I fear he will be in. 13 possessions in the SANFL means he needs at least a few more weeks - at least.

If we're bringing in all of M. Crouch, Seedsman, Milera, Jenkins and Douglas there are going to be some mighty stiff players to be dropped. That's far too many unforced changes.

Yea I would be looking at Seeds for Kelly just to get that mix better,
If it's based on Form then its Atkins base on last week. Either way both should be looking over there shoulder with Milera coming back. As MacKay doing the right things so far.

With Matt it has to be Gallucci.
I'm thinking we need to hold our nerve on Gooch. Seems to be fast approaching whipping boy status in here, but for me I'm inclined to give him a big slab of games to get his form going. Contrary to popular opinion I think he offers plenty with his attacking style and speed. And now he's going through the midfield a bit more we may actually see it!

I'm thinking we need to hold our nerve on Gooch. Seems to be fast approaching whipping boy status in here, but for me I'm inclined to give him a big slab of games to get his form going. Contrary to popular opinion I think he offers plenty with his attacking style and speed. And now he's going through the midfield a bit more we may actually see it!
While I would like to as I would prefer Gooch on the wing, I cannot see them dropping Jones or Atkins for Matt, next in line for matt is Gibbs, Greenwood or CEY
While Seeds for Kelly will improve the team's structure.

Edit Milera may change that entirely. that would mean for Matt, Seeds and Milera, you will be looking at, Kelly, Atkins, Gooch, Jones, Gibbs, Greenwood, or CEY, the first 3 looks the most likely.

The longer the week gets the more I believe changes will be made not for Form but for improvement ie bring back Proven Players,
ie Matt, Seeds, Milera, and JJ, Cannot see more than 4 changes so that leave Douglas and Stengle out.
Assuming all players are fit,

Back