Preview Changes: R10 vs Melbourne - Crows drop Hamill but keep Mackay

Do you think D Mac will be selected in the 22 this week?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

D Mac's not playing wing though, he's playing HBF.

FWIW, Rahilly was on 5AA before and they asked him about Mackay vs Hamill, he said Hamill has been carrying an ankle issue and keeps re-injuring it. Could be (likely is) spin, but may provide some insight. Also waffled on about Mackay's leadership and run though, so probably been told what to say
Would love to know the specificleadership qualities he brings on field. He doesn't get much of the ball, has never been in the leadership group, don't see a lot of voice or direction on field.

If players on our list played every game from here out, these players are the only chances to hit 50 before 21

Riley Thilthorpe - 54 games
James Borlase - 51 games
Brayden Cook - 51 games
Tariek Newchurch - 51 games

Sam Berry won't make it. He'll only play up to 43 games before 21

The main problem with trying to hit 50 before 21 is that most players only have their 19th and 20th years to do so (22 games each) plus however many games they can play as an 18-year-old. So basically they need to play at least 6 games before they turn 19 and every single other game beyond 19

Some players are already 19 before the start of their first season (like Berry and Schoenberg) which makes it impossible for them
Sorry if my post was misleading. Bailey is 21 and 7 months. So the target age for your analysis should be 22.

mom not suggesting you end up with a heap of kids with 50 games at 21 as then you look like GCS and GWS circa 2011/12. But to have 1 player younger than 24 is a disgrace given our predicament the last few years.

Sorry if my post was misleading. Bailey is 21 and 7 months. So the target age for your analysis should be 22.

mom not suggesting you end up with a heap of kids with 50 games at 21 as then you look like GCS and GWS circa 2011/12. But to have 1 player younger than 24 is a disgrace given our predicament the last few years.

Okay let's extend it to 22. All the previously mentioned players get a nice 22 game boost

Riley Thilthorpe - 76 games
James Borlase - 73 games
Brayden Cook - 73 games
Tariek Newchurch - 73 games

Then we also get

Sam Berry - 65 games
Luke Pedlar - 65 games
Lachie Gollant - 56 games
Harry Schoenberg - 52 games
Will Hamill - 50 games

So in addition to Thilthorpe who will almost certainly get there, Berry is a strong chance and so is Pedlar if he can rack up a few games towards the end of the season.

Schoenberg is tight, he can only miss a few games from here. Hamill probably won't get there either as he can't miss another game

So realistically there's probably only 2-4 players that can hit 50 before 22. But we could have easily added a whole bunch of players if we had played them earlier

Okay let's extend it to 22. All the previously mentioned players get a nice 22 game boost

Riley Thilthorpe - 76 games
James Borlase - 73 games
Brayden Cook - 73 games
Tariek Newchurch - 73 games

Then we also get

Sam Berry - 65 games
Luke Pedlar - 65 games
Lachie Gollant - 56 games
Harry Schoenberg - 52 games
Will Hamill - 50 games

So in addition to Thilthorpe who will almost certainly get there, Berry is a strong chance and so is Pedlar if he can rack up a few games towards the end of the season.

Schoenberg is tight, he can only miss a few games from here. Hamill probably won't get there either as he can't miss another game

So realistically there's probably only 2-4 players that can hit 50 before 22
Did you take into consideration finals😜

So realistically there's probably only 2-4 players that can hit 50 before 22. But we could have easily added a whole bunch of players if we had played them earlier
yep. This is my whole point.

For example. In 2020 we put 35 games into Mackay, Hartigan, Gibbs, Poholke and Crocker.

Not every kid is going to make it or deserve games (eg Poholke was clearly done before last year).

So we could have atleast half of those 35 games going into kids in a season where we were always finishing last anyway.

Worrell is case in point. He should be up to 5 games this year atleast and why not blood him for a couple last year? You could have him close to 10 games and starting to settle at AFL level. Yet we haven’t debuted him yet.

The AFC have had no idea how to develop a list for 20+ years.

yep. This is my whole point.

For example. In 2020 we put 35 games into Mackay, Hartigan, Gibbs, Poholke and Crocker.

Not every kid is going to make it or deserve games (eg Poholke was clearly done before last year).

So we could have atleast half of those 35 games going into kids in a season where we were always finishing last anyway.

Worrell is case in point. He should be up to 5 games this year atleast and why not blood him for a couple last year? You could have him close to 10 games and starting to settle at AFL level. Yet we haven’t debuted him yet.

The AFC have had no idea how to develop a list for 20+ years.

Yeah it's even worse than you made it out to be. Check out this list I compiled earlier

And I'll make my point clearer with this comparison

Since 2016

Milera - 62 games
Doedee - 30 games
Gallucci - 27 games
Fogarty - 24 games
Jones - 23 games
McAsey - 10 games
McHenry - 8 games

Total - 184 games

Lyons - 20 games the year we trade him
Henderson - 9 games the year we delist him
Van Berlo - 3 games in his final year
Hampton - 12 games total
Menzel - 4 games total
Beech - 3 games total
Gibson - 5 games total
Cheney - 8 games in year we delist him
Douglas - 9 games in year we delist him
Greenwood - 14 games in year we trade him after refusing to match his contract demands
Keath - 18 games in year we trade him after refusing to match his contract demands
Ellis-Yolmen - 10 games in year we let him walk as a free agent
Jacobs - 5 games in year we let him walk
Otten - 3 games in his final year
Jenkins - 11 games in the year we trade him
Gibbs - 3 games in year he retires
Crocker - 7 games then delisted
Hartigan - 12 games in the year we let him walk as a FA
Brad Crouch - 12 games in the year we push him out the door
Atkins - 4 games in the year we him walk as a FA
Betts - 21 games in year we sent him to Carlton

Total - 193 games

We have spent more games on players that we immediately got rid of than we have on long term first round draft pick prospects, since 2016

Seems like serious resource mismanagement to spend more games on players we deem aren't good enough, than on players someone at our club has already deemed to be AFL quality

Hartigan and Greenwood are great examples. We knew we were getting rid of these players and likely knew we wouldn't be getting anything significant in the trade.

We proceeded to give them a combined 26 games in the years we moved them on

There is no such thing as journalism anymore.

It's either articles provided by the clubs for them, puff pieces or magazine styled editorials designed to upset groups. No such thing as actual research or investigation.
I liked your comment and I agree its sadly the truth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Calling it now... we'll WIN this week!

Maybe I'm still just giddy with excitement from our 30 point loss today when I thought we'd lose by 25 goals but the real Melbourne will surely emerge at some stage
Is this where we bump our posts from last Sunday Bernie L?

Back