Preview Changes: R11 vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

If we play as well as we know yhose names on paper can play we are a punchers chance.

About a 20% chance.

I think what also is being crucially missed here is the short turnaround for the Pies.

Lets not forget they traveled, from QLD to Perth, to Syd to Adelaide. If ever there was time for it take its tell it surely has to be now. The Pies then back this up flying to QLD to play the Dees in a few days time.

Murphy: 8.6 disp/0.5 goals/3.4 score involvements/3.6 tackles/1.5 tackles inside 50 (ranked 17th in the league per game).
Crocker: 8.2 disp/0.8 goals/3.6 score involvements/2.6 tackles/1.4 tackles inside 50 (ranked 20th in the league per game).
:think:
17th/20th in the league per game? Is that right? Not "in the team"?
(Every week there are 22 x 18 players = 396 total. 17th/20th would put both players in the League's Top 10 and they most clearly are not)

I look forward to the "AFL" media's extraordinarily biased and un-nuanced account of whatever we do as a side this week. Their flip-flopping from absolutely loving Bernie Vince's work on Dangerfield a few years back to pearl-clutching the sh*t out of themselves over the attention on Gawn is full-on box office slop. Mitch Cleary among many, many others. And Bernie's work on Danger was in a whole other stratosphere.
I saw the footage on Ch.9 yesterday, showing what some of the Crows did to Gawn 40/60/80 metres off the ball. Dirty tactic, not in the spirit of the game, any game; unnecessary. Smacked of Toby Greene-level dirty play.
I didn't like it, at all.

(Every week there are 22 x 18 players = 396 total. 17th/20th would put both players in the League's Top 10 and they most clearly are not)
Nah. For tackles inside 50 they’re equal 16th and 20th in the league respectively. Crazier still is McAdam is 4th in the whole league for this stat. So somehow we have 3 of the top 20 defensive forwards in the game (as measured by tackles inside 50). Make of that what you will...

Does Keays go to Sidebottom or Adams? Both are likely to rack up career best numbers against us.
Sidebottom .. typically Collingwood struggle when he isn't getting the ball, even with Pendlebury and Treloar playing

Nah. For tackles inside 50 they’re equal 16th and 20th in the league respectively. Crazier still is McAdam is 4th in the whole league for this stat. So somehow we have 3 of the top 20 defensive forwards in the game (as measured by tackles inside 50). Make of that what you will...
If only we had a small forward who could make the most of all these loose balls as a result of all that pressure!

The cynic in me assumes this is because our delivery is so bad going forward that we never get a clean disposal, so it gives us a lot of opportunity to tackle opposition players who we kick it to.

I think what also is being crucially missed here is the short turnaround for the Pies.

Lets not forget they traveled, from QLD to Perth, to Syd to Adelaide. If ever there was time for it take its tell it surely has to be now. The Pies then back this up flying to QLD to play the Dees in a few days time.

I found Nicks' press conference interesting. Basically implied Grundy would be getting the same treatment as Gawn this week. I wonder if he was sending Collingwood a message, hoping they may decide it's better to rest him.

For tackles in forward 50, they are rated at 17th and 20th respectively out of everyone in the league.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McHenry should focus on getting a kick and keeping his spot.
Agree, but it wasn't just McHenry.
If Gawn has the ball and can get crunched to the moon with a fair hip-and-shoulder, great, do it eg Doedee's tackle a coupla weeks ago. I want the Crows to be known for and feared because of fair toughness and brilliance.
Gawn was playing injured and physically harassed well off the ball several times by Crows players. Totally unfair. I don't know who was behind it but I hope it wasn't Nicks.

I saw the footage on Ch.9 yesterday, showing what some of the Crows did to Gawn 40/60/80 metres off the ball. Dirty tactic, not in the spirit of the game, any game; unnecessary. Smacked of Toby Greene-level dirty play.
I didn't like it, at all.

All for it and there are no medals for playing in the spirit of the game.

Hawks were an incredibly dirty side (gut punches, purposely dropping knees into players etc), and yet they have 4 premierships medals to their name. As long as it's all grey area and not straight up illegal its fine by me. It isn't Disney where the fair and just group who plays to the spirit of the game overcome those who are willing to get their hands dirty.

Last edited:
OK thanks, wow, surprising.

It seems like it's a hard stat to really accumulate on, with the leader only averaging 2.6 tackles inside 50 a game. Probably also speaks volumes to how terrible our ball movement is.

Lol..you got me at 'they traveled'..it must be such a weird feeling for them as collingwood dont travel unless it is to the mcg carpark

If Gawn has the ball and can get crunched to the moon with a fair hip-and-shoulder, great, do it eg Doedee's tackle a coupla weeks ago. I want the Crows to be known for and feared because of fair toughness and brilliance.
Gawn was playing injured and physically harassed well off the ball several times by Crows players. Totally unfair. I don't know who was behind it but I hope it wasn't Nicks.

i completely disagree with this. Unsociable football is the only way to win a flag, and I honestly don’t care what the players do on the field, as long as we get the win. I would be happy if our players were on rotation through suspension if it means ultimate prize at the end of the year.

I guess it makes up for their lack of ability

Gawn went into the match sore...you step over the line...hysterical Kornes is getting worse than Rooch.
I agree that McHenry needs to focus on getting a kick and contributing instead of being an annoying happy dog.

i completely disagree with this. Unsociable football is the only way to win a flag, and I honestly don’t care what the players do on the field, as long as we get the win. I would be happy if our players were on rotation through suspension if it means ultimate prize at the end of the year.
Let’s just target the players that make this game great and turn it into unsociable footy, that’s what we want to see, not the great players in full flight

All for it and there are no medals for playing in the spirit of the game.

Hawks were an incredibly dirty side (gut punches, purposely dropping knees into players etc), and yet they have 4 premierships medals to their name. As long as it's all grey area and not straight up illegal its fine by me. It isn't Disney where the fair and just group who plays to the spirit of the game overcome those who are willing to get their hands dirty.
Brownlow

Let’s just target the players that make this game great and turn it into unsociable footy, that’s what we want to see, not the great players in full flight

Frankly, I want to see Adelaide win a premiership and I really don't care how we manage it providing it is legal. We have no responsibility to making the game viewable for fans, that's up to the AFL rules committee. The clubs job is to win flags.

If they're so great, they'll find a way to survive or thrive. Otherwise, bad luck, thanks for playing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back