Preview Changes: R11 vs Geelong, Saturday May 28, 1.15pm ACST @ Kardinia Park

Remove this Banner Ad

Mate Strachan was nabbed out of the Bendigo Football League where he was playing for South Bendigo after playing a few games for the Bombers VFL as a top up and then a couple of games for Port Melbourne after that.
What relevance has that got to anything now?

It wasn't just a standard good game though, it was as dominant a performance at SANFL level as you'll ever see against a good team, regardless of position. Of course that will make the coaches take notice. I still think both are playing together this week anyway.
That I can stomach, Strachan doesn’t deserve to be dropped on his performances.

Last year he played vs the 2 best rucks of the last 10 years and did well.
How do you expect someone to go when they don’t get a decent crack at it?
Rob was the same when he was in the 2’s we didn’t gim him a decent go until Sam Jacob’s left basically.
I’m happy for him to get more games , I’ve said all along 3 at min in a row to see if he can improve or grab a spot

I’d say he’s been serviceable at best , didn’t provide much support to Murray deep in defence but he might have had good reasons for that ( Ryder )

Be good if he was a bit more built in upper body re strength battles in ruck given he’s not 18-19

I’m happy for him to get more games , I’ve said all along 3 at min in a row to see if he can improve or grab a spot

I’d say he’s been serviceable at best , didn’t provide much support to Murray deep in defence but he might have had good reasons for that ( Ryder )

Be good if he was a bit more built in upper body re strength battles in ruck given he’s not 18-19
Given it was only his 5th afl game I’d say he’s tracking quite well.
No one can expect him to dominate a game (probably never will) ROB doesn’t even do that.

Brown.

We've got Jones and Hamill as small defenders.
Hinge has been below average since his recall also but agree Brown should be first out.

Given it was only his 5th afl game I’d say he’s tracking quite well.
No one can expect him to dominate a game (probably never will) ROB doesn’t even do that.
He’s going ok , not great , not completely out of place either

Certainly hasn’t demanded a spot but that’s not surprising given his lack of experience

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What relevance has that got to anything now?
Everything , ROB is our first choice ruckman until we get someone better, that player is not Strachan, he's good back up and that would be his role at all AFL clubs IMO..mature back up.
Who knows maybe we look at several of the ATHLETIC young rucks that missed out in last year's draft in the MSD....2 that come straight to mind are Max Ramsden and Toby Murray.

Last edited:
Everything , ROB is our first choice ruckman until we get someone better, that player is not Strachan, he's good back up and that would be his role at all AFL clubs IMO..mature back up.
Who knows maybe we look at several of the ATHLETIC young rucks that missed out in last year's draft on the MSD....2 that come straight to mind are Max Ramsden and Toby Murray.
Yeah let’s judge someone after 5 AFL games.
We absolutely need to draft a ruckman, but we can’t let ROB coast through currently.

Last edited:
So what happens if ROB's form stinks again? The coaches have basically told Strachan he's not good enough to hold his spot. We need another ruck on our list.
A young athletic ruck to develop, even the mob down the road get that...drafted Sam Hayes to develop under Lycett and drafted athletic ruck/forward Dante Visentini last year.

We absolutely need to draft a ruckman, but if you think ROB is going to cut it for the next 4-5 years until they are ready I think you’re in for a surprise.
In current form he won't, but Strachan is even less of a chance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back