Preview Changes: R11 vs Geelong, Saturday May 28, 1.15pm ACST @ Kardinia Park

Remove this Banner Ad

I doubt he gets dropped after watching Nicks presser, and i am certain after watching the presser that Rachele will be managed next week as well.
Strachan was good. He just needs to not kick into risky areas and instead play the percentages. He kicked one across goals that resulted in a goal and another into the middle when he had a free player on the boundary line which caused a turnover through the middle. He needs to be instructed to not take unnecessary risks with his kcking. This can be easily taught as we need to remember he has only played only 3 or 4 games. Other than that he is much more skilled and athletic than ROB.

I wouldn't be surprised if they bring ROB back in though. Unfortunately we are lumbered with ROB for his contract while Strachan may look elsewhere for more opportunity. Giving ROB 5 years was dumb.

Last edited:
Strachan had a HTA % of 26.3% last night, which is about what ROB was averaging in his last 3 games (season average of 31.3%), but the bigger difference is Strachan only won 30.6% of the hitouts, where ROB usually hangs around the 40% mark (season average of 42.8%). He's got a bit of improvement to do there, but it could also be a good sign given that his HTA rate was better than both Ryder and Marshall last night, even though they won more of the taps. If he can increase the number of hits he wins to the same rate that ROB was getting and have his HTA % increase at the same rate, then he'd be producing some really good ruck work for us. He attacks the game offensively a bit more aggresively than ROB too, had a few very nice handballs that opened up play. Kicking is a bit wonky, but he'll take a bit of time to adjust to the speed of the game too, so hopefully they persist with him, no matter how well ROB did in the 2's on Friday.

Butts is the obvious in this week, Rachele will be managed I imagine. Then it's a matter of if we bring in some size with Cook or Pedlar, or if Scholl gets bumped up from medical sub for some more run. My initial guess is it'll be something like

IN: Scholl / Butts
OUT: Rachele / Hinge

What they do with Fogarty and ROB will be interesting to see (straight swap?)

The Fogarty experiment is well and truly done. But so is the Himmelberg experiment. And the Frampton experiment. And the (insert name here) experiment.

Surely it's time to give the big Fisch or Worrell an opportunity somewhere in the side?

I'm not sure what we're hoping to see from Fog in order to keep the guy in the side. I really like him, but I just can't see what role he's actually succeeding at. Not sure Gollant has done enough for a game, so he might get another week, or we might run two rucks.

Murphy seems the definitive version of "all effort, rough disposal". I'd feel bad, but he's probably out as well.

I think one of Hinge and Brown needs to go, for structural reasons. Rachelle needs a rest.

Personally, I think it's time for Milera. Butts is essential. I'd maybe even look at Crouch against Geelong, which I know makes me a pariah around here.

Is Rachele injured?

Out: Fog, Rachele
In: ROB, Cook
I can say this much - Rachele was definitely banged up during the week. He had scans on a sore spot and was given the all clear to play. The plan is to rest him this week and give him (with the bye) two weeks break.
It makes sense.

Except, it was clear he should not have played last night. He was obviously sore and has lost his zip and spark.

It's just so typical of our club. Run people into the ground and then wonder why they aren't performing.

Last night was the PERFECT opportunity to give Newchurch a go.

Our thinking is just so dumb at times.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can say this much - Rachele was definitely banged up during the week. He had scans on a sore spot and was given the all clear to play. The plan is to rest him this week and give him (with the bye) two weeks break.
It makes sense.

Except, it was clear he should not have played last night. He was obviously sore and has lost his zip and spark.

It's just so typical of our club. Run people into the ground and then wonder why they aren't performing.

Playing an injured first year player that needed a break a month ago. That's pure AFC.

Out:
Fogarty, Rachele (inj), Murphy, Brown, Sholl

In:
Gollant Newchurch Cook Butts Pedlar

Sub: Schoenberg

Last edited:
It makes sense.

Would you have given him three weeks off?

Or just a single week, then play, then off again?

Every single player in the AFL has some sore spots. I think it show resilience getting him up, then we can give him a decent rest for a fortnight. I trust Burgess on this, who wants players to work through little niggles

Out: Fogarty, Jones, Rachele
In: Cook, Butts, Newchurch

Fog for Cook is a bit of a * it pick for a week or two whilst Gollant rests up. That said, seeing we're an effort side at the moment with no structures whatsoever, we may as well double down on it and get games into Cook.

Jones for Butts is more I want a 2nd KPD and I'm pretty curious about how Hamills form will develop in the lead up to the bye. Would settle for Brown being axed here instead though.

Rachele for Newchurch is a much needed rest for Josh and gives Tariek a bit of a reward for his first half of the season.

Would you have given him three weeks off?

Or just a single week, then play, then off again?

Every single player in the AFL has some sore spots. I think it show resilience getting him up, then we can give him a decent rest for a fortnight. I trust Burgess on this, who wants players to work through little niggles
Not a first year player playing his 10th straight game coming off two years of very limited football due to covid restrictions. He hasn't been kicking goals so why keep playing him when you can clearly see he lost his zip weeks ago. Do they really not rate Newchurch that much to not play him when a first year player needs a break?

Last edited:
Bring in Cook, Pedlar, Newchurch and Parnell and leave them there for the rest of the friggin year. Nicks is so worried about short term results and not getting them anyway. We’ve seen enough of the players that aren’t going to make it. Time to put faith in the players who will take us forward. Heck, throw Taylor in there too.

The Fogarty experiment is well and truly done. But so is the Himmelberg experiment. And the Frampton experiment. And the (insert name here) experiment.

Surely it's time to give the big Fisch or Worrell an opportunity somewhere in the side?

Fog, Tex and TT combined for 22 disposals. That’s a good day out for Tex alone when he’s in good nick. 3 marking forwards is a stupid strategy that gets us nowhere. None of them deserve a game based on their own output, Fog obviously the first in line. But the problem remains if we replace him with another tall target.

The philosophy of 3 talls causes more problems than 1 being a passenger each week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back