Preview Changes: R11 vs Geelong, Saturday May 28, 1.15pm ACST @ Kardinia Park

LeftyLuke

Cancelled
Mar 29, 2022
AFL Club
Adelaide
Bring in Cook, Pedlar, Newchurch and Parnell and leave them there for the rest of the friggin year. Nicks is so worried about short term results and not getting them anyway. We’ve seen enough of the players that aren’t going to make it. Time to put faith in the players who will take us forward. Heck, throw Taylor in there too.
If Roo had any brains he would be instructing Nicks to do this.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Strachan had a HTA % of 26.3% last night, which is about what ROB was averaging in his last 3 games (season average of 31.3%), but the bigger difference is Strachan only won 30.6% of the hitouts, where ROB usually hangs around the 40% mark (season average of 42.8%). He's got a bit of improvement to do there, but it could also be a good sign given that his HTA rate was better than both Ryder and Marshall last night, even though they won more of the taps. If he can increase the number of hits he wins to the same rate that ROB was getting and have his HTA % increase at the same rate, then he'd be producing some really good ruck work for us. He attacks the game offensively a bit more aggresively than ROB too, had a few very nice handballs that opened up play. Kicking is a bit wonky, but he'll take a bit of time to adjust to the speed of the game too, so hopefully they persist with him, no matter how well ROB did in the 2's on Friday.

Butts is the obvious in this week, Rachele will be managed I imagine. Then it's a matter of if we bring in some size with Cook or Pedlar, or if Scholl gets bumped up from medical sub for some more run. My initial guess is it'll be something like

IN: Scholl / Butts
OUT: Rachele / Hinge

What they do with Fogarty and ROB will be interesting to see (straight swap?)

Is there a hitout to disadvantage stat? What infuriates me about ROB is how often he dominates his opponent but taps it to the advantage of oppo mids. Raw hit outs are meaningless and hit outs to advantage are only half the story.

Mar 23, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
When Thilthorpe has 7 possessions and 0.1 in a dismal loss at Kardinia Park next week and Himmelberg kicks 4 in the SANFL do we swap them back again?

Why shouldn't we do that?

Ooooh you're not thinking long term success are you? tch tch tch.

No place for you on the selection committee!
Screen Shot 2022-05-22 at 11.10.45 am.png

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
I can say this much - Rachele was definitely banged up during the week. He had scans on a sore spot and was given the all clear to play. The plan is to rest him this week and give him (with the bye) two weeks break.
It makes sense.

Except, it was clear he should not have played last night. He was obviously sore and has lost his zip and spark.

It's just so typical of our club. Run people into the ground and then wonder why they aren't performing.

Last night was the PERFECT opportunity to give Newchurch a go.

Our thinking is just so dumb at times.

Newchurch gets to do the Davis by debuting at the cattery in a beating where no permanent forward gets double digit touches and then feel the wrath of the selectors. If Sportsbet offered even money I’d be all over it.

Oct 16, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
It’s time to try two rucks. Strauchnie and ROB can give us some real ruck power. Strauchnie was good and ROB played well on the weekend they come in for fog who just does not do enough

I think Rochelle may need a rest and i think he may be injured. It’s time to bring in newchurch to see what he has to offer. Some pace and goal kicking ability. If it’s not newchurch it could be Milera

Butts needs to come back in to give our defence more balance. I would take one out of Murphy or McHenry to allow this change for a better balanced side. These two have to go because they simply cannot kick goals when it is their time. They cost us games again and again

I want us to bring in Parnell and cook ASAP as they are good ball users and decision makers

I'm not big on debuting Newchurch at Kardinia Park. With the way we shaft young players, he'll get stuck in our F50 when we kick 6 goals for the match and he barely gets a touch and then we drop him. Any confidence he has built this season will be plundered.

ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
As bad as people think this is. Hinge may be the only option as an out if they plan to Play 2 genuine tall defenders,
Hinge Played 3rd defender behind Murray and Doedee,
If we are going to bring in Height, we should improve the 3rd defender role, get someone who can run an intercept better, and move the ball better.
and that is Doedee, which means Hinge is in the spotlight as he cannot play 2nd tall defender

The other defensive running roles you would be looking at, are Dawson, Smith, Hamil, Jones, Millera, before Hinge.
Then there is, small defender Brown, You don't want Hamil to play the Brown role as he just starting to find his way in that running defender role, let him develop. Same with Jones. You don't want Hinge to play the Brown Role, not that great on smalls, Hinge vs Stengle will not be a good fit,
So unless they are going to bring in a Cook, Parnell, or even Murthy, Brown stays.

As for the tall defenders, Butts is a Must, but Butts and Murray make a stagnant backline relying on the runners only for all the ball movement, if we are going to that then It's time to look at it Butts and either Worrel or McAsey. give them 3 games together.

As for Crouch if he comes in it should only be for a direct swap with Keays or Laird, we cannot afford to have Have Keays, Laird and Crouch together it stops any development of the Kids, the future,

Forwards, one ruck, two ruck either way Fogarty needs to go back to the SANFL and learn to cover the ground, so it either 2 rucks or Gollant.
We have an abundance of Small forward, and small forward Mids, we need that 3rd mobile tall forward type player.

Aug 20, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Hammarby IF, Toronto Raptors
Fog, Tex and TT combined for 22 disposals. That’s a good day out for Tex alone when he’s in good nick. 3 marking forwards is a stupid strategy that gets us nowhere. None of them deserve a game based on their own output, Fog obviously the first in line. But the problem remains if we replace him with another tall target.

The philosophy of 3 talls causes more problems than 1 being a passenger each week.

Bit harsh to say Tex doesn't deserve a game based on his output. Had a quiet week but he's kicked 18 goals in 7 games this year.

WAG

The People's Captain
Mar 3, 2010
In the trenches.
AFL Club
Adelaide
Fog, Tex and TT combined for 22 disposals. That’s a good day out for Tex alone when he’s in good nick. 3 marking forwards is a stupid strategy that gets us nowhere. None of them deserve a game based on their own output, Fog obviously the first in line. But the problem remains if we replace him with another tall target.

The philosophy of 3 talls causes more problems than 1 being a passenger each week.
Oh, I totally agree (apart from Tex). I wasn't meaning to insinuate that Worrell/McAsey replace Fog/Berg like for like, but rather give them an opportunity in the Best 22 in some capacity. Let's actually see what they can do, as we already have a large sample of what the others mentioned cannot.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
Out
Rachele and Strachan out and one of Murphy, McHenry, Rowe.

In
Butts, O'Brien and Milera. Crouch is a no, Pedlar isn't AFL fit, Schoey is still struggling and Parenll and Taylor too light. If not Milera then maybe Macpherson shifting Hinge or Smith more up forward
McPherson was pretty ordinary in the SANFL, Davis way more impressive and attacking.

Pedlar I think comes in for Rachele if he's not right to go.
Pedlar looked the fittest he's ever looked actually and was still running strongly late in the game on Friday.

I think he's about to reward us for our patience if Friday's game is an indication.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
McPherson was pretty ordinary in the SANFL, Davis way more impressive and attacking.

Pedlar I think comes in for Rachele if he'd not right to go.
Pedlar looked the fittest he's ever looked actually and was still running strongly late in the game on Friday.

I think he's about to reward is for our patience if Friday's game is an indication.
It was great to see Pedlar stay in the whole game on Friday. We’ve seen one quarter bursts of what he has to offer but he sustained the effort over all four quarters on Friday.

Am genuinely excited to see him grow from here.

CrowBloke

Solum stulti se excusant!
May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
One of our smaller defenders has to make way for Butts, it's either Brown, Hinge or Jones and I choose Brown.
I agree, provided they have a word to Jones about kicking to the opposition, while backing him in.

However, Brown is a barnacle on the hull of the back 6, and is just as slow. Brown must train the house down or has inherited Mackay's incriminating evidence as a parting gesture. I'll be happily surprised if he's dropped for Butts.

CrowBloke

May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
In :
Cook, Taylor, Gollant, Himmelberg, Butts, Frampton

Out:

Rachele Fogarty Murray Brown Sholl Rowe

Jones Butts Doedee
Smith Frampton Hinge
Cook Laird Dawson
Soligo Walker McAdam
Murphy Himmelberg Gollant

Strachan Keays Berry

Taylor Hately McHenry Hamill

OK, Fogarty out for Gollant, Butts for Brown, Rachele (rested),
BUT
you'd bring back Frampton, who is hopeless 1-on-1 against strong leading/marking forwards (Geelong have two, with mids who know how to supply them).
Frampton?? :oops: :eek:

What's Rowe done, to get dropped?

OK, Fogarty out for Gollant, Butts for Brown, Rachele (rested),
BUT
you'd bring back Frampton, who is hopeless 1-on-1 against strong leading/marking forwards (Geelong have two, with mids who know how to supply them).
Frampton?? :oops: :eek:

What's Rowe done, to get dropped?

Bad haircut

CrowBloke

May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
Giving ROB 5 years was dumb.
Not from ROB's pov. He and his manager are chortling all the way to the Bank.
cha-ching-money.gif

The AFC likes to give senior players at their peak big contracts, maybe hoping that they'll either sustain their form or even get better! Anything, to retain them. (eg: Sloane)
But from a peak, it's only downhill.

Back