Preview Changes: R14 vs Gold Coast, Sunday June 19, 2.50pm ACST @ Metricon Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

These 40 point losses to the good sides are becoming awfully routine. We play a good quarter or even a good half, but we're in no serious danger of winning.
It's almost like the top sides are just cruising against a bottom side and then they decide to step it up a gear.
They bang on 4-5 goals in a quarter for Nicksy to say after the game, we were able to stay with them for 3 quarters

What does hold shape mean? Does he mean he’s stays on the wing and doesn’t roam? If so that would be one of the most bizarre defence of a coaches decision ever.

I do like how he edited his post where he commented about posters knowing more than coaches.
He does know we are bottom 4 on the ladder doesn't he ?

No, the nature of the position proves my point. You’re not seriously suggesting a defender is going to have the same inside 50s as someone on the wing? Besides you used his inside 50s to justify his role in defence when a majority of those inside 50s he was playing a different position.
Of course not, but you're acting like him kicking the ball inside 50 is the only way he can be damaging and create goals. They have the issue of you move Dawson out then you've got another position to cover, it doesn't necessarily mean Dawson is then getting the ball on the wing pumping it inside 50 more often when suddenly we can't move the ball out our back half. He had 7 I50's against the Lions and we scored 66, he had 6 against the Cats and we scored 55. It's not a magical cure for our scoring woes and he's playing there because we have a backline that continually struggles to move the ball. Jones and Hinge both struggle to find the ball enough to be damaging there, Hamill too.

The bigger problem isn't Dawson in defence, it's further up the field where we rely on Laird and Keays from stoppages to send the ball inside 50, as well as Murphy/Rowe/McHenry at half forward. It's why they've brought Milera back, and why Tex is so important outside of just his goal kicking.

The bigger problem isn't Dawson in defence, it's further up the field where we rely on Laird and Keays from stoppages to send the ball inside 50, as well as Murphy/Rowe/McHenry at half forward. It's why they've brought Milera back, and why Tex is so important outside of just his goal kicking.
Isn’t that the whole point of moving Dawson up the field?????

Isn’t that the whole point of moving Dawson up the field?????
And as I said, then we'd likely struggle to move the ball out of the back 50 and the ball gets locked in there. They had the idea of not kicking it as much but trying to create run and carry across half back to move it by hand, but they have shown it's not something they've been able to consistently implement, if at all lately. We cost ourselves no matter where we play him because we lack quality players like him in general. At the moment with him back we get enough I50 ball to be in games, so they're taking it and hoping they can find the right mix up forward to start converting it.

And as I said, then we'd likely struggle to move the ball out of the back 50 and the ball gets locked in there. They had the idea of not kicking it as much but trying to create run and carry across half back to move it by hand, but they have shown it's not something they've been able to consistently implement, if at all. We cost ourselves no matter where we play him because we lack quality players like him in general. At the moment with him back we get enough I50 ball to be in games, so they're taking it and hoping they can find the right mix up forward to start converting it.
I don’t think we would.
What other teams player their best attacking player on the last line?

Last edited:
What does hold shape mean? Does he mean he’s stays on the wing and doesn’t roam? If so that would be one of the most bizarre defence of a coaches decision ever.

I do like how he edited his post where he commented about posters knowing more than coaches.

Hold shape sounds like an AFC excuse. “Look, our fans wouldn’t understand, but old mate is performing a non-statistical role and his main KPI is how well he holds shape. And he does it better than anyone in the comp”

Last edited:
Being behind the ball means he can actually use his game sense to get into intercept position and get to a lot more contests.

Putting him on a wing means he has to hold shape and will end up influencing the game less, as he's more reactive to what teammates are doing.
I get what you are saying, but shouldn't Doedee be doing that?

Dawson on a wing essentially is midfield as he can run in and be a receiver from a clearance and kick deep into our forward line.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Coaches don’t have to know more than supporters. They have to know more than other coaches

And at the rate coaches get turned over around the league, it’s pretty clear most don’t.

So they are very far from all-seeing oracles of footy righteousness

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can someone please explain to me why Rowe keeps getting selected whilst others are dropped? I really don’t get it . What is Rowe offering that I’m missing?

Can someone please explain to me why Rowe keeps getting selected whilst others are dropped? I really don’t get it . What is Rowe offering that I’m missing?

I quite like him, still improving, gets it enough and actually has a crack at doing something with it. Probably just needs to up his scoring output a bit, but I don't see him as a problem at the moment.

He's been decent at hitting short targets going inside 50. Like most of our smalls though, we push them so far up field at times it's hard to even call them small forwards. Rowe especially since he's not the quickest guy getting back down the field.

His finishing has been pretty disappointing though, he doesn't get enough opportunities that he can blow some of the easier chances he's been getting and missing.

I quite like him, still improving, gets it enough and actually has a crack at doing something with it. Probably just needs to up his scoring output a bit, but I don't see him as a problem at the moment.
This is part of the problem. We are accepting mediocre. He doesn’t make any team in the top 8 and never would. He is not part of the long term so why are we investing games into him ?

Of course not, but you're acting like him kicking the ball inside 50 is the only way he can be damaging and create goals. They have the issue of you move Dawson out then you've got another position to cover, it doesn't necessarily mean Dawson is then getting the ball on the wing pumping it inside 50 more often when suddenly we can't move the ball out our back half. He had 7 I50's against the Lions and we scored 66, he had 6 against the Cats and we scored 55. It's not a magical cure for our scoring woes and he's playing there because we have a backline that continually struggles to move the ball. Jones and Hinge both struggle to find the ball enough to be damaging there, Hamill too.

Normally respect your opinion but on this you seem all over the place. You highlighted how effective Dawsons been and reeled off a number of stats, one included inside 50s. But these were when he was starting on the wing, not in defence like he played against West Coast and again he’s been named in defence.

It’s not his fault we scored low in those games, he’s only one player and our small forwards suck and as you mentioned we have other players who suck delivering the ball, well removing Dawson as an option makes it worse. Against West Coast he had one score involvement, the preceding 3 games, 6,5 & 8.

Dawson playing in defence actually has to defend as well. Part of his game is manning up, what a waste. Then as it was against West Coast a number of kicks were under pressure. In defence we have Parnell, Smith and Hamill who provide run. Hinge is also a decent kick.

Playing Dawson in defence is a defeatist coaching move, designed to try and limit points against rather than score enough to win.

Which players are getting dropped instead of Rowe ....in a like for like role ?

I would be playing Cook ahead of Rowe for starters.
Not like for like though ....Cook needs to play on a Wing IMO .....definitely has future midfielder written on him ....although we haven't seen anything of his potential clearance work

You could argue Pedlar for Rowe .....trouble is, Pedlar isn't banging the door down yet

This is part of the problem. We are accepting mediocre. He doesn’t make any team in the top 8 and never would. He is not part of the long term so why are we investing games into him ?

I definitely am of the view that his ceiling is quite likely what we're seeing. I was always happy to see what we got after a couple of preseasons into his body though. I also agree that his impact right now is in the mediocre range, but I don't think he's too far away from moving out of it. An extra goal and goal assist per game and I think that's what most clubs would be very satisfied with from a small forward. And I'm generally reticent to rule lines ahead of our guys playing ahead of or behind our shockingly poor midfield.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back