Preview Changes: R15 2021 vs Carlton (27/6 @ 4pm @ Marvel)

Result?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

When it comes down to it, with us 5 pts down with 3 minutes to go, you will definitely want the four points. ;)
Salient point. Literally every time the ball is bounced I can't help but want them to win every game.

Even last week in the rain after being 36 points down my brain was saying "Oh well, at least the draft pick will be better", but in my heart I couldn't help but feel, "Its only 6 goals, just have to peg them back 2-3 this quarter and give ourselves a shot"

I can’t see us winning this. We’ve long struggled against the Blues even when we’re entrenched in the 8 and they’re trash, plus they’ve had the three-players-do-a-presser-on-a-Monday-morning thing.
Yup. We’ve scraped in some horrible wins when we should have belted the living suitcase out of them.

Their extra media thumb screwing will make it harder for us.

Playing them on their home ground EVERY ******* TIME we play them doesn’t help mind you.

No way they even get close if this was at AO.

Wait what? We've struggled against Carlton? We've won 6 of our last 7 games against them dating back to 2015, with an average winning margin of 35 points.

Mate if thats the definition of 'struggling against Carlton' then I wish we struggled against every team like that!
I went to most of those games and they were all a slugfest umpire-infested late break-away win shitfest of a game with Carlton threatening all the time - is how I recall them. I remember a couple of hideous close ones ...8 points? And ...5 points? (Very dodgy memory) - seem to ring a bell, along the way. It was a yearly thing to do - travel to Melbourne, watch a bloody frustrating Carlton Crows game and talk about how s**t it felt all the way home, win or lose.

Last edited:
Salient point. Literally every time the ball is bounced I can't help but want them to win every game.

Even last week in the rain after being 36 points down my brain was saying "Oh well, at least the draft pick will be better", but in my heart I couldn't help but feel, "Its only 6 goals, just have to peg them back 2-3 this quarter and give ourselves a shot"
Same!

half time I’m saying we’ve played so badly but were only 6 down hahahaha.

ONLY

6 goals down 😂

that’s only 3 goals a qtr to catch up.

But, we were right! 😂

I went to most of those games and they were all a slugfest umpire-infested late break-away win shitfest of a game with Carlton threatening all the time - is how I recall them. I remember a couple of hideous close ones ...8 points? And ...5 points? (Very dodgy memory) - seem to ring a bell, along the way. It was a yearly thing to do - travel to Melbourne, watch a bloody frustrating Carlton Crows game and talk about how sh*t it felt all the way home, win or lose.

We've belted Carlton 3 times in that period. R23 2018 by 105 points, R7 2018 by 55 points and R16 2016 by 60 points.

The other three matches we won were all by less then 3 goals.

There is no comfortable, boring 4-5 goal win against the Blues.

Wait what? We've struggled against Carlton? We've won 6 of our last 7 games against them dating back to 2015, with an average winning margin of 35 points.

Mate if thats the definition of 'struggling against Carlton' then I wish we struggled against every team like that!
Maybe he was talking about the 90's. We sucked against them back then.

We've belted Carlton 3 times in that period. R23 2018 by 105 points, R7 2018 by 55 points and R16 2016 by 60 points.

The other three matches we won were all by less then 3 goals.

There is no comfortable, boring 4-5 goal win against the Blues.
going back to 2012 (thank you footywire) and you can throw in two wins by 11 points and 9 points and two losses by 32 points and 5 points.
2011 loss by 6 points
2010 loss by 48 points

We've actually been seriously s**t against Carlton recent and further back. We managed to stink it up enough to let them get close and to beat us in games we should have been winning by 30-40plus. The few big wins were like a pressure valve release, the rest have been simply awful games.

Lemme just give you guys the heads up as to what Carltons gameplan is for this one.

Kick lots of goals
Don't worry about defending because we're going to kick lots of goals
????
Win

A complete change up to the rest of the season. See until now we've just said kick goals, but now it's kick LOTS of goals. So obvious, I don't know why we didn't try it earlier. Hope you're ready!

Last edited:
Lemme just give you guys the heads up as to what Carltons gameplan is for this one.

Kick lots of goals
Don't worry about defending because we're going to kick lots goals
????
Win

A complete change up to the rest of the season. See until now we've just said kick goals, but now it's kick LOTS of goals. So obvious, I don't know why we didn't try it earlier. Hope you're ready!
Look, I can't lie, I had a quick peek at the Carlton V Adelaide game thread and to my total surprise I saw some starting to say they need to clear out the deadwood and hit the next few drafts hard. I thought to myself, what a great idea - why haven't Carlton tried this one before:carlton:

Look, I can't lie, I had a quick peek at the Carlton V Adelaide game thread and to my total surprise I saw some starting to say they need to clear out the deadwood and hit the next few drafts hard. I thought to myself, what a great idea - why haven't Carlton tried this one before:carlton:
You'll find just as many people assuring you that Dow and SPS aren't sh*t and will come good if you just play them in the midfield. Then also say we need to get guys in who compete after another embarrassing loss. It's an endless cycle.

We have to play the guys who have proven to not be very good, they'll give us something! Loss, criticise the team for being bad. Assure you those guys will still be good if given the chance. Fail again and get criticised again. No those guys were given a chance but the wrong kind of chance, it's not fair on them, give them another chance and they'll come good. Repeat for 20 years.

I wonder why we're stuck in mediocrity?

You'll find just as many people assuring you that Dow and SPS aren't sh*t and will come good if you just play them in the midfield. Then also say we need to get guys in who compete after another embarrassing loss. It's an endless cycle.

We have to play the guys who have proven to not be very good, they'll give us something! Loss, criticise the team for being bad. Assure you those guys will still be good if given the chance. Fail again and get criticised again. No those guys were given a chance but the wrong kind of chance, it's not fair on them, give them another chance and they'll come good. Repeat for 20 years.

I wonder why we're stuck in mediocrity?
Well I think I have the answer to all that. What Carlton really need is a master list manager. An ace at negotiation, someone who can see a bargain at another club a man that is not afraid to slam a laptop or set the price for a contracted player. It just so happens that this very person is not already taken by another club and could be the panacea to Carlton's ails. Who better to fix a broken list:arrowdown:

1624331141824.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember going to the MCG to watch Adelaide versus Carlton when Chris Judd did his knee, on the southern wing in a contest with Patrick Dangerfield if memory serves!

Point is, game was putrid, Crows were very poor and just managed a small win but Carlton were worse by any measure, had every chance to win and just couldn't do a thing right, and we just kept doing stupid things to keep Carlton in the game, death by a thousand cuts, every Carlton game seems to be like this, I don't think this weekend will be any exception.

It would be most refreshing if it was! Let's hope.

For a bit of mid week sport how about a little prediction game.

After this game what's everyone's prediction on the gap between McKay and Tex goalkicking tallies, will it;

a) Widen
b) Remain the same
c) decrease
d) be completely eradicated

For me its c) but only by a goal. McKay: 3 to Tex's: 4

Well I think I have the answer to all that. What Carlton really need is a master list manager. An ace at negotiation, someone who can see a bargain at another club a man that is not afraid to slam a laptop or set the price for a contracted player. It just so happens that this very person is not already taken by another club and could be the panacea to Carlton's ails. Who better to fix a broken list:arrowdown:

View attachment 1161039
I still rate his ability to trade. He was excellent at trading picks around and increasing our draft hand.

Who he selected with those picks, however...

Looks like Brown is in.

Brown for MacPherson

Scholl, for Hamill. Hamill is struggling, I think he needs to play some SANFL games to get some touch.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
I wouldn't hate sending Hamill back for a fortnight. Give him a license to break some lines and get the dash back in his game that made him so exciting to watch in 2020. Have barely seen it this year, and it without it, he's a touch 1 dimensional.

Id like to think we wont struggle this week but with the blow torch being applied to the Blues, you watch us let this one slip.

Id like to think we wont struggle this week but with the blow torch being applied to the Blues, you watch us let this one slip.

If all it takes is the blowtorch to be applied, then we would have won every last quarter this year. ;)

I don't buy this view. We're not going to be "scared" of them, or alter our play, just because we'll know they've been revved up. Of course,
we may well let this one slip, but that will be for other reasons.

Are Carlton a team that is known for its ability to perform under pressure? I seem to remember them playing the bottom team last year in the 2nd to last round and when they still had a chance at their first finals appearance in 8 seasons... And blowing it!

Back