Preview Changes: R15 vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

A lot up the air due to the extra weeks off, but I am working on the basis that Jenkins, Murphy + Kelly all miss through injury, Douglas won't be but should be dropped if you ask me - I just don't think he is in our best 22 anymore. (same goes for Hartigan)

Jenkins will be a huge out for a while, but those games given to Himmelberg early in the year will be invaluable and give him and the club confidence he can come straight back in. Fogarty deserves to get a gig too, seeing as we've been playing him in the SANFL down back, I'd give him a go in place of Hartigan - he has been hot/cold all year and his cold is downright awful. Scares me every time he goes near the ball if I'm honest. Hartigan stays in if Talia doesn't get up, We need one of them on Hawkins. (Talia obviously the preference)
Jones comes in for Douglas - rotates mid/wing, McHenry comes in for Murphy - I know Stengle has been better, but the surf coast is McHenry's hometown, his debut has been beckoning for a month - why not roll him out and just instruct him to run all day and tackle everything! I worry that if Stengle comes in and the ball doesn't find it down there enough his confidence will take a kicking, but I'd be more than happy if he got the call up. With Lynch coming back in it's just a bit of reshuffle position wise to cover Kelly.

All of this being said, we've played extremely well the past fortnight (in most part) so unlikely we will be making 5 changes. But I do think the Cats away from home is a game expected to lose so a bit of a free hit.

Combination of Smith, Seedsman, McHenry, Jones, Milera could just be the pacey weapon we need to shake the cats.

OUT: Jenkins(inj.), Murphy(inj.), Kelly(inj.), Douglas(om), Hartigan(om).

IN: Himmelberg, Fogarty, Jones, McHenry, Lynch.

My team VS the cats:

FB: Laird / Talia / Brown
HB: Smith / Fogarty / Keath
C: Atkins / Ellis-Yolmen / Jones
HF: Sloane / Walker / Lynch
FF: Betts / Himmelberg / McHenry
FOLL: O'Brien / MCrouch / BCrouch

INT: Seedsman / Milera / Galucci / Greenwood
Pardon???

Hartigan smashed it against GWS and was FARRRRRRR from our worst against Richmond, even after getting the knee in the back of the head from Lynch. He's in great form. Stays.

A lot up the air due to the extra weeks off, but I am working on the basis that Jenkins, Murphy + Kelly all miss through injury, Douglas won't be but should be dropped if you ask me - I just don't think he is in our best 22 anymore. (same goes for Hartigan)

Jenkins will be a huge out for a while, but those games given to Himmelberg early in the year will be invaluable and give him and the club confidence he can come straight back in. Fogarty deserves to get a gig too, seeing as we've been playing him in the SANFL down back, I'd give him a go in place of Hartigan - he has been hot/cold all year and his cold is downright awful. Scares me every time he goes near the ball if I'm honest. Hartigan stays in if Talia doesn't get up, We need one of them on Hawkins. (Talia obviously the preference)
Jones comes in for Douglas - rotates mid/wing, McHenry comes in for Murphy - I know Stengle has been better, but the surf coast is McHenry's hometown, his debut has been beckoning for a month - why not roll him out and just instruct him to run all day and tackle everything! I worry that if Stengle comes in and the ball doesn't find it down there enough his confidence will take a kicking, but I'd be more than happy if he got the call up. With Lynch coming back in it's just a bit of reshuffle position wise to cover Kelly.

All of this being said, we've played extremely well the past fortnight (in most part) so unlikely we will be making 5 changes. But I do think the Cats away from home is a game expected to lose so a bit of a free hit.

Combination of Smith, Seedsman, McHenry, Jones, Milera could just be the pacey weapon we need to shake the cats.

My team VS the cats:

You said it we will not be making 5 changes

Nope.

We will likely lose either way, but they'll destroy Port.
Hopefully they destroy Port by so much they will get lax (unlikely)... but if Port upset them, they will look to demolish us.

anyone else think Port getting up at home versus Geelong improves our chances of beating them following week? Geelong coming off a loss seems better than facing them after an away win.
I'm willing to give it a try without it

My team VS the cats:

Where do I even start with this.

First of all, why on earth would Murphy miss a game with injury 15 days after he lost a couple of teeth? He’s not injured. He wouldn’t have even been in danger of missing this week if we had a game. They’re teeth for crying out loud, not arms.

Secondly, Fogarty is playing poor footy in the forward line at SANFL level over the past 3-4 weeks, so you want to bring him in to play centre half back against the best team in the AFL? Righto. I mean in fairness, prior to returning to the forward line a few weeks ago, Fog was playing poor SANFL footy in defense too, so maybe that qualifies 🥴

Thirdly, you want to drop Hartigan, who is blatantly outperforming Talia most weeks, and is a key cog in what has been one of the best defenses in the AFL this year? Hmmm

Next, you want to bring in McHenry, who didn’t play on the weekend and won’t be playing this coming weekend due to various ailments? Prior to that, his form had tailed off due to soreness. I see

Also, you’re assuming Kelly will miss with injury, but Talia will be fine, despite them both suffering corkies in the same game and not returning. Why?

Lastly, you want to make 5 changes to a team that has won 3 on the trot and is sitting in 4th. Gee whiz.

The reality is that Lynch and Himmelberg are coming in for Jenkins and a yet to be determined player (depends on fitness tests and such but I think most fans would like it to be Douglas).

I’ll be pretty surprised if a 3rd change takes place, but if it does, nobody outside of Jones (injection of pace if a small picks up an injury or illness), Gibbs (if he’s ticked all the boxes) or Otten (if Talia doesn’t get up) are any hope in hell of playing.

4 or more changes is just silly.

Dont they usually have Ratugolea of TommaHawk helping out?
Has been Ratugolea, but he’s in doubt for our game with injury. Not overly sure who will fill that role if he’s unavailable. Darcy Fort, Zac Smith, Ryan Abbott or just roll with Hawkins pinch-hitting in there.
Hmmm I wonder if we could cope with Lynch as our 2nd ruck this game if they don't have a decent option themselves?

Hmmm I wonder if we could cope with Lynch as our 2nd ruck this game if they don't have a decent option themselves?

Lynch is far too important to chuck in there for me.

If we were to not select Himmelberg, it would be Hartigan rucking.

We’re selecting Himmelberg.

With Lynch coming off a soft tissue injury not sure if rucking would be great for him. Rat and Hawk would be just too physically strong for Lynch too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need to load up our forward line with markers this week to combat the Geelong defenders aerial strength. Plus we need defensive pressure.

I would be stationing Greenwood up forward this week. Aerial threat and good defensive pressure.

Himmelberg has to come in to give us a target to kick to, when you don’t have targets against Geelong you kick it in aimlessly and to smalls who get slaughtered.

Tex, Himmelberg, Lynch and Greenwood provide a reasonable mix.

Has been Ratugolea, but he’s in doubt for our game with injury. Not overly sure who will fill that role if he’s unavailable. Darcy Fort, Zac Smith, Ryan Abbott or just roll with Hawkins pinch-hitting in there.
Blicavs has done it previously.

We would be better off using Hartigan who has done it before.

Would be crazy using Lynch coming back from injury imo.

Agree their 2nd ruck looks thin maybe keath harto lynch could all ruck if need be, it may mean one change lynch for JJ

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
Their 2nd ruck is not thin & they have a quality 3rd ruckman who has led their rucks at times.

WARNING!!!!!
This will be an unpopular post.
I want Sauce in next week with ROB.
I think it's also a distinct possibility. At the moment I don't have too much faith in the Berg.
Also Gibbs in for Douglas.

We need to load up our forward line with markers this week to combat the Geelong defenders aerial strength. Plus we need defensive pressure.

I would be stationing Greenwood up forward this week. Aerial threat and good defensive pressure.

Himmelberg has to come in to give us a target to kick to, when you don’t have targets against Geelong you kick it in aimlessly and to smalls who get slaughtered.

Tex, Himmelberg, Lynch and Greenwood provide a reasonable mix.
Why not dirty ball football?

Geelong, weather, cold, rain. Keep the ball low or on the ground, let our little men attack the ball while the 2 talls decoy

Just a thought

Why not dirty ball football?

Geelong, weather, cold, rain. Keep the ball low or on the ground, let our little men attack the ball while the 2 talls decoy

Just a thought
If I could trust us of keeping the ball low or on the ground then maybe, but when have we ever managed that? When we get under pressure we bomb high.

Where do I even start with this.

First of all, why on earth would Murphy miss a game with injury 15 days after he lost a couple of teeth? He’s not injured. He wouldn’t have even been in danger of missing this week if we had a game. They’re teeth for crying out loud, not arms.

Secondly, Fogarty is playing poor footy in the forward line at SANFL level over the past 3-4 weeks, so you want to bring him in to play centre half back against the best team in the AFL? Righto. I mean in fairness, prior to returning to the forward line a few weeks ago, Fog was playing poor SANFL footy in defense too, so maybe that qualifies 🥴

Thirdly, you want to drop Hartigan, who is blatantly outperforming Talia most weeks, and is a key cog in what has been one of the best defenses in the AFL this year? Hmmm

Next, you want to bring in McHenry, who didn’t play on the weekend and won’t be playing this coming weekend due to various ailments? Prior to that, his form had tailed off due to soreness. I see

Also, you’re assuming Kelly will miss with injury, but Talia will be fine, despite them both suffering corkies in the same game and not returning. Why?

Lastly, you want to make 5 changes to a team that has won 3 on the trot and is sitting in 4th. Gee whiz.

The reality is that Lynch and Himmelberg are coming in for Jenkins and a yet to be determined player (depends on fitness tests and such but I think most fans would like it to be Douglas).

I’ll be pretty surprised if a 3rd change takes place, but if it does, nobody outside of Jones (injection of pace if a small picks up an injury or illness), Gibbs (if he’s ticked all the boxes) or Otten (if Talia doesn’t get up) are any hope in hell of playing.

4 or more changes is just silly.

Agreed across the board here, though I wonder if they'll consider going in small?
Don does love his plug and play structure so smart money on Himmelberg, but against Geelong I'd be tempted to leave him out in favor of Gibbs as a tagger through the middle where he wasnt bad a couple weeks back, with one of the tall defenders as the ruck chop out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back