Preview Changes: R15 vs North Melbourne, Sunday June 26, 12.40pm ACST in Tasmania

Remove this Banner Ad

In fact, some teams are going "ruckless", eg PA. This is interesting:
It can work.

If the loss in not having a Ruck are gained elsewhere.

For Port they weren't, as they lost against Richmond. They robbed their forward line to cover Ruck.

Worked for Sydney with Goodes as he was a tall mid anyway. Yes he could play forward, but they didn't need him there. And his talent wasted up forward anyway.

The equivalent would be SPP playing lead Ruck and keep the forward structure.

And then they played Treakle as soon as they could. Be interesting to see if Hayes is back.

I do like the concept though. And think Thilthorpe's Ruckwork will be more as an elite mid who Rucks (and can kick goals) rather than pure Ruckman.

If Tilthorpe was 191 odd cm we would all be excited about him as an elite mid with his skillset. I think he can do that at 200cm plus.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

My issue with ROB and the other 3 starting mids is not that they don’t give everything or have strengths, it’s 3 problems.

1. All 4 are slow and have below average disposal, which kills the development of our forwards, and hurts our defense on turnover.
2. Not one of them can play anywhere else, so that if they are in the team then they have to play full time mid, hurting the development of our young mids.
3. We drafted a guy with pick 1 who‘s strengths are clearly more as an athletic ruckman than as a key forward, and he can’t play that role while we have ROB.
If we drafted Thilthorpe as a ruckman we paid too much draft collateral and if that's the case Logan McDonald should have been the pick.

And Cook on the other wing. Drop Rowe. Rowe is "busy " but zero hurt factor.

McHenry out for Gollant. Gollant is a natural leading forward, our best one.

With Sog and Rachele we don't need Rowe and McHenry. Playing four of these guys, with Murphy as sub is too many.

Sog and Rachele far classier and capable of playing the dual forward/mid role

As is Shane McAdam. Who also plays this role.

From what I saw from Pedlar as a forward last week in the sanfl I'm pretty sure they will bring him in. I think the changes will be Gollant, Pedlar, Schoenberg, Hinge, Jones for Thilthorpe, Murphy, Crouch, Hamill, Parnell.

Last edited:

I hope you are right.

Burgessvand his group are the best performers at our club. Very few, any?, soft tissue issues this year. We are a very fit side.

Shane McAdam is the poster child for this group. Our most improved player this year. Looks trimmer and doing more work up and down the ground. Which ultimately helps his forward craft.

Our recent results would suggest otherwise - Bris 9 goals to 2 after half time, St K 8 goals to 3 last qtr, Geelong 4 goals to 1 LQ, GC 8 goals to 4 LQ. Whilst some of this can be attributed to us dropping our heads a little - it looks to me that we struggle to run out games.

From what I saw from Pedlar as a forward last week in the sanfl I'm pretty sure they will bring him in. I think the changes will be Gollant, Pedlar, Schoenberg, Hinge, Jones for Thilthorpe, Murphy, Crouch, Hamill, Parnell.
Why Parnell? I thought he's been very good.

Why Parnell? I thought he's been very good.
I think so as well and would play him. I just think Nick's will drop him like he has for a few players after two games. He hasn't done anything wrong but they are spinning the magnets. The selectors always overreact to sanfl midfield form so I think by playing Jones they will justify it that he can go into the midfield as well.

Tilthorpe is not ready to be lead Ruck. No 20 year old is. Until he is he needs to play the Ruck/KPF role. Like Luke Jackson's development. Just don't expect big goal hauls from him, and appreciate his Ruck and midfield work more as supporters.

Ruck is his future.
Club has always referred to Thilthorpe as a Key Fwd .....he's an average ruckman ....he can potentially be a great FWD in the vein of Tom Lynch

My issue with ROB and the other 3 starting mids is not that they don’t give everything or have strengths, it’s 3 problems.

1. All 4 are slow and have below average disposal, which kills the development of our forwards, and hurts our defense on turnover.
2. Not one of them can play anywhere else, so that if they are in the team then they have to play full time mid, hurting the development of our young mids.
3. We drafted a guy with pick 1 who‘s strengths are clearly more as an athletic ruckman than as a key forward, and he can’t play that role while we have ROB.
On point #3 - why the hell aren’t we giving TT large chunks of time in the ruck? I know you can’t run the kid into the ground but 3 minute bursts at the end of a quarter when he is already tired is just dumb developme t.

And Cook on the other wing. Drop Rowe. Rowe is "busy " but zero hurt factor.

McHenry out for Gollant. Gollant is a natural leading forward, our best one.

With Sog and Rachele we don't need Rowe and McHenry. Playing four of these guys, with Murphy as sub is too many.

Sog and Rachele far classier and capable of playing the dual forward/mid role

As is Shane McAdam. Who also plays this role.

Rowe is one of the few players in the team that can actually hit a target. I like seeing him as that roaming HFF that can connect on the wing and deliver to Tex or fog at half forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Club has always referred to Thilthorpe as a Key Fwd .....he's an average ruckman ....he can potentially be a great FWD in the vein of Tom Lynch
I wouldn’t be surprised if he develops into a 50/50 ruck/fwd, in the Rowan Marshall mould

Still think we need one more genuine KPF that’s super capable of taking contested grabs, and is able to find multiple avenues to goal. Probably via trade or FA in the next few offseasons

We all have opinions I suppose, however Lynch averages 2 goals a game (same as Josh Jenkins), while Grundy and Gawn at their best totally dominate games. There seems to be a view that a key forward is fine to take at pick 1 but that a ruckman would be a reach. I feel that this is the type of traditional thinking that has been around for ever (from when forwards kicked 100 goals) but doesnt stand up to analysis. The same kind of thinking that our club obviously has about playing your most experienced players in the middle regardless of their shortcomings and the potential of younger players coming through.

as I said I think Tillthorpe was potentially worth pick 1 as a ruckman, but was well behind McDonald as a developing Key Forward.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he develops into a 50/50 ruck/fwd, in the Rowan Marshall mould

Still think we need one more genuine KPF that’s super capable of taking contested grabs, and is able to find multiple avenues to goal. Probably via trade or FA in the next few offseasons
Kane Baldwin is coming off missing 3 years of junior footy, but could be a high ceiling forward that would cost bugger all.

Rowe is one of the few players in the team that can actually hit a target. I like seeing him as that roaming HFF that can connect on the wing and deliver to Tex or fog at half forward.

Agreed out of all the little spuds we have playing that role he is the best spud, he actually has a football brain at least.

I like Jimmy Rowe and agree he can hit a target. But by problem with this is we didn't recruit Rowe to be the roaming high half forward to hit up key forwards. We recruited him to be a opportunistic goal sneak who is dangerous around the feet of the KPF. By definition him being up the ground and the one kicking it into forwards means he's not in position to do his primary role (which at 0.77 goals per game career, and 3.6 from his last 7 matches, he's clearly not doing well).

What compounds that is he's not really even hitting up targets in our F50. He's going at less then 0.5 goal assists from his 2 inside 50's per game career. But in the last month he's gone I50 11 times (which is slightly above average for him), but only clocked 1 goal assist.

I personally think he's due for a reset mentally. Go back to the SANFL and stay close to goals so he can kick a few bags. Get goal hungry to the point of selfishness if he has too. Because right now i'd probably pick Matthew Wright over him as a goalsneak if we could!

Kane Baldwin is coming off missing 3 years of junior footy, but could be a high ceiling forward that would cost bugger all.
Interesting thought. Could be a nice bargain buy with greater upside than a Himmelberg type, who we can then delist

If thilthorpe injured good week to play two rucks. Let’s try it and see if it works. If you keep doing the same thing except the same result. Strauchnie is one of the better contested marks at the club
cant play pigeon foot(ROB) up fwd though.

Our recent results would suggest otherwise - Bris 9 goals to 2 after half time, St K 8 goals to 3 last qtr, Geelong 4 goals to 1 LQ, GC 8 goals to 4 LQ. Whilst some of this can be attributed to us dropping our heads a little - it looks to me that we struggle to run out games.
I think it is more mental and the natural slowdown attributed to having a younger side playing older teams. Older teams can lift in the second half. Our guys can't match that yet.

Gold Coast game was pure mental. Whole team dropped their bundle after seeing the onfield crack the sads about a 50m penalty.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back