Preview Changes: R16 vs Melbourne, Saturday July 2, 4.05pm ACST @ Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

I posted this in another thread but it belongs here:
SANFL update/result, for next week's selection:
Aliens have abducted the Mrouch that was dropped and replaced him with a functioning doppelganger who had 42 disposals, kicked a goal, along with laying six tackles, 10 clearances and seven inside 50s :oops: .

Too bad that Matt Crouch doesn't play AFL.

Get ready for a Frampton recall if any of our KPDs have a shocker; he put on a marking-and-defensive masterclass yesterday:
"Billy Frampton displayed his marking ability from the outset, intercepting South Adelaide’s forward entries to finish with a season-high 14 marks.
Frampton led the way down back with Godden labelling it the best performance he had seen from the key defender.
“Aerially he was outstanding, he just read the ball really well but he also defended strongly,” Godden said.
“He won his one-on-one contests and that’s probably the best I’ve seen him defend as a genuine defender.” (AFC website)"
If he plays melbourne will isolate fritsch on him and fritsch will kick 8 on him. Clubs wont let him be an intercept, they will play through his man and work a favorable match up

Out: false hope that we are improving
In: the reality we are still playing the wrong 22

Hopefully Cook, Newchurch, Gollant come in - and we retain Jones in the 22. I'm not gonna try and guess what will actually happen - but am pretty sure it will include a quote like "We wanted to add some experience to the squad - seeing we are playing the league leaders".

If he plays melbourne will isolate fritsch on him and fritsch will kick 8 on him. Clubs wont let him be an intercept, they will play through his man and work a favorable match up
I was not advocating for Frampton's return, no thanks, but the Crows' selectors "work" in mysterious ways.
After a high-possession, strong-marking Frampton game, they might be tempted to recall him in which case the disaster you spelled out is a possibility. Frampton is not a lockdown, one-on-one defender.
Likewise, they might think that Crouch did all the right things in his 42-possession game (+ a goal, + six tackles, + 10 clearances and 7 inside 50s ie all things he doesn't do at AFL level) and bring him back. Nicks almost had tears in his eyes when he talked about how important Crouch is to the AFL side = will bring him back, asap, ignoring how well the mids performed against NM without Crouch.

I hope not, but it is the Nicks way.

Newchurch in please.
Newchurch has potential, a little x factor but not elite at SANFL level, I don't see consistency. Matty Wright has scored more than Newchurch for the crows.
Jimmy Rowe was a Ken Farmer medalist when picked up. Stengle was similar quality and for his poor life choices would still be at the AFC. Tareck is nowhere near his level at this time. To play him against Melbourne is asking him to fail.

I was not advocating for Frampton's return, no thanks, but the Crows' selectors "work" in mysterious ways.
After a high-possession, strong-marking Frampton game, they might be tempted to recall him in which case the disaster you spelled out is a possibility. Frampton is not a lockdown, one-on-one defender.
Likewise, they might think that Crouch did all the right things in his 42-possession game (+ a goal, + six tackles, + 10 clearances and 7 inside 50s ie all things he doesn't do at AFL level) and bring him back. Nicks almost had tears in his eyes when he talked about how important Crouch is to the AFL side = will bring him back, asap, ignoring how well the mids performed against NM without Crouch.

I hope not, but it is the Nicks way.
You know, thinking on it, If Frampton could try and hone his craft as a back up ruck he could be quite effective as he can intercept mark and he is rather mobile - but is just not a natural 1 V 1 defender. If he could also watch those few short clips of what Murray did on ball and act almost as a large mid when the ball hits the ground, there is a place for him but only as that back up ruck imo. He is just a liability in defense at AFL level when teams work him out and play through his man

You know, thinking on it, If Frampton could try and hone his craft as a back up ruck he could be quite effective as he can intercept mark and he is rather mobile - but is just not a natural 1 V 1 defender. If he could also watch those few short clips of what Murray did on ball and act almost as a large mid when the ball hits the ground, there is a place for him but only as that back up ruck imo. He is just a liability in defense at AFL level when teams work him out and play through his man
Why not?
He ain't a forward, nor a one-on-one defender. If they're not going to delist him, they might as well try to teach him some ruck craft and let him roam, and when he's not rucking get him off the ground to minimise the damage.

Newchurch has potential, a little x factor but not elite at SANFL level, I don't see consistency. Matty Wright has scored more than Newchurch for the crows.
Jimmy Rowe was a Ken Farmer medalist when picked up. Stengle was similar quality and for his poor life choices would still be at the AFC. Tareck is nowhere near his level at this time. To play him against Melbourne is asking him to fail.
Agree. The time to try Newchurch was yesterday vs NM. A first game against Melbourne will cruch* him.
(* I left the typo, because it's a blend of 'crush' and 'crunch' :sneaky: )

Add Milera to Ned and Rachele list.

Jones and Gollant for the two injured boys, if Thilthorpe is up then Gollant misses.
Newchurch replaces McHenry
Leave Rachele
Milera isn't adding anything so could possibly bring in Pedlar
I’m playing Milera

He’s adding some goals with his score assists just needs to build now

(Log in to remove this ad.)

they wont drop Ned this week. They will want his pressure against Melbourne.

When the club talks about culture they mean getting rid of Stengle. Elite off-field standards, behaviour, discipline.

When I think of culture I see the following:
Ned struggling with injury, goes into the game with knee strapped hoping to get through
Doesn't get through, tweaks his knee again, more strapping, soldiers on. Has a poor game, understandably.

Knows that whilst a regular this season his spot is currently a little tenuous. Murphy outside the team, Newchurch building, Cook and Pedlar in the wings.

But as it stands it's his spot now. Ownership is 9/10ths the law. If he vacates it even for a week or two there's a risk that his replacement will go well. So he will fight to retain his spot at all costs. Whether it's the best thing for the team or the club or his teammates is irrelevant.

It's my spot and I'm not giving it up.

Mine! Mine! Mine!

veruca-salt-charlie-and-the-chocolate-factory.jpg

Not a stab at Ned. He's just following the leaders. This is more a part of our DNA than anything Nicks speaks about. Our coaches enable this. They don't overrule. Heck, some lived this mantra when they were at the club.

A club with a good culture (next man up...?) would use this as an opportunity to blood Newchurch and would do it without thinking.

When the club talks about culture they mean getting rid of Stengle. Elite off-field standards, behaviour, discipline.

Ned struggling with injury, goes into the game with knee strapped hoping to get through
Doesn't get through, tweaks his knee again, more strapping, soldiers on. Has a poor game, understandably.

Knows that whilst a regular this season his spot is currently a little tenuous. Murphy outside the team, Newchurch building, Cook and Pedlar in the wings.

But as it stands it's his spot now. Ownership is 9/10ths the law. If he vacates it even for a week or two there's a risk that his replacement will go well. So he will fight to retain his spot at all costs. Whether it's the best thing for the team or the club or his teammates is irrelevant.

Mine! Mine! Mine!

Not a stab at Ned. He's just following the leaders. This is more a part of our DNA than anything Nicks speaks about. Our coaches enable this. They don't overrule. Heck, some lived this mantra when they were at the club.

A club with a good culture (next man up...?) would use this as an opportunity to blood Newchurch and would do it without thinking.
Wouldn't the final say be down to Darren Burgess as to player's fitness and ability to perform?

You think the coaching group should overrule Burgess if he says the player is fit to play?

Wouldn't the final say be down to Darren Burgess as to player's fitness and ability to perform?

You think the coaching group should overrule Burgess if he says the player is fit to play?
There's not two categories:
  • Fit
  • Not fit

There's every shade of grey in between.

Burgess will say where he's at and what he's capable of doing in his opinion. The player/coaches will then do what they will with that info.

Mine! Mine! Mine!

100% agree. Thats where Ned needs to back himself in and say at 100% ill get my spot back easily.

but he and he club would rather sub par performances than trying the unknown.

For me:

Ned out - Newchurch in
Hamill out - McPherson in
McAdam out - Tilly in.

Jones stays as sub.
Why on Earth would Jones stay as sub? Straight swap for Hamill. Was playing well before he was dropped and has played well since.
What a bizarre decision.

Why on Earth would Jones stay as sub? Straight swap for Hamill. Was playing well before he was dropped and has played well since.
What a bizarre decision.

Was terrible against the Saints and Cats which lead him to being dropped.

I am happy for him to come in for Hamill. And have McPherson be the sub.

I just think the club likes McPherson long term and will look to get him into the side.

Was terrible against the Saints and Cats which lead him to being dropped.

I am happy for him to come in for Hamill. And have McPherson be the sub.

I just think the club likes McPherson long term and will look to get him into the side.
I was kind of hoping McPherson’s papers were stamped

Maybe one more shot . Contract status ?

Also I wish Chayce played the same as he does as the sub when he plays a full game , seems to unleash the shackles and I’m convinced it’s more mental than anything with him

I was kind of hoping McPherson’s papers were stamped

Maybe one more shot . Contract status ?

Also I wish Chayce played the same as he does as the sub when he plays a full game , seems to unleash the shackles and I’m convinced it’s more mental than anything with him

Contracted until the end of 2023. Played 9 games in 2020 and 18 last year. Was in the best 22 round 1 before he got hurt....

I think the club rate him so will get him back in the side before too long.

Contracted until the end of 2023. Played 9 games in 2020 and 18 last year. Was in the best 22 round 1 before he got hurt....

I think the club rate him so will get him back in the side before too long.
Yep he was shocking in round 1

Maybe gets his chance with Hamill out and Parnell struggling

Mine! Mine! Mine!

To me (with no medical experience or any sort of information to suggest) it looks similar to an injury I had in the past - bone bruising on the knee. Can be 100% fine in a game but then if you cop a knock it can be extremely painful and limit your movement for the next day or so. Mine took around 9 months to heal but it depends on severity etc. I copped mine from a hyperextension, wonder what triggered this injury for him? Does anyone recall him picking this up (I haven't been able to watch all of the games the last few weeks)?

Agree. The time to try Newchurch was yesterday vs NM. A first game against Melbourne will cruch* him.
(* I left the typo, because it's a blend of 'crush' and 'crunch' :sneaky: )
I think you will find that they have no other choice but to play Newchurch with McAdam injured. Let's be honest we aren't beating Melbourne and getting a game into newchurch which is long overdue won't hurt his development. Playing Rachele hardly getting a touch over a player kicking goals in the SANFL doesn't make any sense regardless of the McAdam injury. Nick's talks a big game about giving players opportunities and it's time to back up his words. Cook, Gollant, Newchurch, Pedlar are the exact type of players we should be getting games into this year, not Murphy, McHenry, Rowe along with some other list cloggers.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back