Preview Changes: R16 vs Melbourne, Saturday July 2, 4.05pm ACST @ Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t disagree. I just wouldn’t run with him as the main ruck at this stage. Like his athleticism and aggression though

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Agreed.

TBH I actually wouldn't mind seeing him in a few different roles TBH. 2nd ruck more for sure, but also 3rd tall forward, and I wouldn't be against a sprinkle of contests as a big bodied mid. Maybe even send him to a powerful tall midfielder as a tagger.

Out of interest I just googled Patrick Cripps height/weight (as he is the gold standard for big bodied mids), and those 2 are quite similar.

Patrick Cripps 195cm 93kg (which I suspect is misleadingly light, i'm 189cm and 93kg and there's no way in hell that beast is my weight)
Nick Murray 194cm 98kg

Certainly not saying he is a like for like player as Patty Cripps, but he might have him for speed and explosiveness. And would be line-ball in terms of power and agility. Could be a fun magnet to throw around in the last 2 months. See what the big country lad can do with a license to go and wreck contests (or you know, more contests).

I actually don't understand why Jones was dropped (and subsequently hasn't made it back). I thought he had put his best body of work together this year. Obviously McAdam and Hammill out injured. I'd like to see Jones and Newchurch in.
Coaches said his role was to provide drive and run ball out of half back

Was only getting it 10-14x and locking down well but that wasn’t really his role

Does he just become the lock down defender or do we use him somewhere up the ground more or give him another chance across half back to provide some drive ?

Starting to wonder if we should bring Gollant back for McAdam this week to try and keep Lever honest. He matches up ok size wise, is a good leading player (which has caused issues for Jake in the past), and launches at everything.

If its between him and Newchurch i'd take Tariek because I feel like he's the form player and has earned it. But I wouldn't be against bringing both players in.

Will Hamill (concussion protocol)
Shane McAdam (ankle) test
Luke Pedlar (groin) test
Rory Sloane (knee) season
Paul Seedsman (concussion) season

Turner fit to play and Glenelg have given permission

SANFL TEAM GUESS

RACHELE MCASEY MCHENRY
MURPHY GOLLANT PEDLAR
COOK CROUCH DAVIS
SHARRAD FRAMPTON MCPHERSON
BROWN BORLASE HALL

STRACHAN
TAYLOR
TURNER

I/C NAKERVIS BOYLE WRIGHT MCKENZIE

AFL TEAM GUESS

EMER - HIMMELBERG

FOGARTY THILTHORPE ROWE
KEAYS WALKER NEWCHURCH
SOLIGO HATELY DAWSON
LAIRD WORRELL HINGE
JONES BUTTS SMITH

O'BRIEN
BERRY
SCHOENBERG

I/C MURRAY (BACK UP RUCK) MILERA SHOLL DOEDEE PARNELL
They need to make Davis the sub.. every week until they delist him at seasons end..

And hope they get no injuries so they dont have to sub him on..

Using a tall forward like Himmelberg as a sub is dumb.. only works out if you lose one of your other tall forwards..

It needs to be a utility or midfielder type for sub..

Another 6 coaches votes this week for Stengle
Its so *ing dissapointing.. the lad is quickly becoming one of the best small forwards in the comp..

Will probably be AA this year.

Which is great for him and geelong..

but man it sucks for us crows supporters who thought the club should never have treated the kid the way they did.

Its so f*n dissapointing.. the lad is quickly becoming one of the best small forwards in the comp..

but man it sucks for us crows supporters who thought the club should never have treated the kid the way they did.
So how many more chances should he have had? 1; 3 or maybe another 5?

He got done for drink driving.. hapoy for them to rake him over the coals for that stupid act.

But dabbling in a bit of recreational cocaine use.. pfft.. they shouldnt have even reprimanded him for that..

He'll be right at Geelong as long as Eddie's there to check in on him for his tenure there.
I think he’ll be right beyond Eddie’s time too, provided they’re in each other’s company for an extended period of time, rather than just a year like at the Crows

Losing Eddie was a lot more of an off-field blow than on-field, for us

Its so f*n dissapointing.. the lad is quickly becoming one of the best small forwards in the comp..

I always thought Stengle looked a decent player but I don't see the club had a lot of choice, you have to be a fair moron to make so many dumb decisions off field in such a short period of time. If the club slaps him across the wrist all it does is further enables him & sets a bad standard for everyone else to do dumb s**t.

It's a shame he couldn't get it together but perhaps for his sake what happened with us may have been the kick in the ass he needed to realise it can all disappear that there isn't unlimited chances.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He wasn't even best 22 when we got rid of him. had shown nothing special apart from a few glimpses. Good Riddance

We've got Rowey the ducker and Ned the spud though. That's worth at least 10 goals a year.

I agreed when we got rid of him at the time but disagreed with those that thought Rowe was a better option anyway so we aren't losing much.

Stengle was always going to be good and get better. It just wasn't going to be with us.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

No more. But when banished to Sanfl they could have put a reasonable timeframe ie mid season, to rejoin squad to teams get back on AFL path. My memory isn’t great but how many players actually have been sacked from their clubs for indiscretions in the last 10 years? Sure there are some but can’t recall

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

They’re 21 yo . First step is to be able to defend . Next step add layers to that which they are

Let’s see in another 40 games
I get what you're saying, but I don't believe in this system of development for any player. I don't think linear development progression as you describe is the most effective, in sport, work or life.

Everything is an integrated system and I think you need to practice the whole right from the beginning so its clear right from the outset how it all fits together. You improve that integrated holistic style as you gain more experience.

If you can't grasp that from the beginning, you can still improve but it will be incremental.

And his quality was fairly obvious. I don’t mind that people don’t notice that, but rejoicing in his departure is a bit annoying. This is a kid banned by the AFL for a few games that our club demanded it be extended to a season. And those that rejoiced in his departure would be the first to state that the AFL unfairly punishes our players. It’s nonsensical.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back