Preview Changes: R16 vs Melbourne, Saturday July 2, 4.05pm ACST @ Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Isn't pressure the only reason Murphy gets a game?
I don't think it's that because Newchurch would put more pressure on with his speed. I think it's purely how many games Murphy has played and the club is scared about our average games per player going below a certain limit.

Last edited:
I mean, Murphy is only 23.

He has been played out of position in my opinion. Playing him as a small forward doesn't play to his strengths.
He has now played 69 games.
The coaches have stuck by him for a long time. And showed a lot of faith in him.
The coaches have given him basically another year of football compared to a player like Fog.
He hasn't improved and he doesn't have enough strengths to make it
Do we have to wait until he is 26 to work this out ?

We're a young team tomorrow whether we go with Murphy or Newchurch. We'll lose either way too.

This is the type of call that prolongs and defeats a rebuild. Eventually we'll rule a line through the likes of Murphy, how ever many seasons it takes, and will have to replace them with kids on zero games

In a few years: Look how young our team is... what do you expect?

He has now played 69 games.
The coaches have stuck by him for a long time. And showed a lot of faith in him.
The coaches have given him basically another year of football compared to a player like Fog.
He hasn't improved and he doesn't have enough strengths to make it
Do we have to wait until he is 26 to work this out ?
They gave Mackay over 200 so I can see Murphy getting to 150

Last edited:
We are the youngest and least experienced team because of list management decisions made at the end of each year. Not because of week to week selection.

We'll be young and inexperienced regardless of what we do. What matters is who the coaches are selecting, which youth are we prioritising, are we getting better?

We already know, you keep telling us every week
Unfortunately there are many slow learners in this thread. For 15 selections in a row the usual suspects have gone on and on and on….. about selecting old/experienced players.

The FACT is we played fewer old/experienced players than any AFL team this year. Same story in 2020 and 2021.

Are our KIDS any good? Too early to tell.

Should we be playing different KIDS? Possibly, my preference was to play Newchurch this week instead of Murphy but I am not convinced Newchurch is ready to step up.

Similar story with Parnell. I expect him to struggle against Melbourne but I am happy to play him instead of Luke Brown.

Thilthorpe and Rachele are currently struggling but I am happy for them to be retained.

Last edited:
We will have the youngest/least experienced team for the 15th time in 16 rounds (we had a bye in round 13 😁).

This week we have three 100+ game players and seven players with 25 or less games.

Since the start of 2020 the only players to debut are Berry, Butts, Cook, Gollant, Hamill, McPherson, McAdam, McHenry, Pedlar, Parnell, Rachele, Soligo, Thilthorpe, Strachan, Murray, Rowe, Schoenberg, Sholl and Worrell (plus Hinge added to his 2 game career at Brisbane).

Would you like to know how this compares to the other 17 teams?

But, but, but we recalled a 23 year old instead of playing Newchurch. Grab the Pitchforks and Torches!!!!!!
Do you agree with Murphy over Newchurch?

Unfortunately there are many slow learners in this thread. For 15 selections in a row the usual suspects have gone on and on and on….. about selecting old/experienced players.

The FACT is we played fewer old/experienced players than any AFL team
Is it possible for us to pick more experienced players than other teams, or was that decision made for us at list management before the season?

If it's list management and we have no choice, why bother making the point about week to week selection?

We are the youngest and least experienced team because of list management decisions made at the end of each year. Not because of week to week selection.
Wrong... we are the youngest & least experienced because of both list management AND weekly selections.
We'll be young and inexperienced regardless of what we do. What matters is who the coaches are selecting, which youth are we prioritising, are we getting better?
Let's see... Brown & Crouch are currently in the magoos - so the obvious answers right now would be Parnell & Hately.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wrong... we are the youngest & least experienced because of both list management AND weekly selections.

Let's see... Brown & Crouch are currently in the magoos - so the obvious answers right now would be Parnell & Hately.
They went with Crouch as long as they possibly could until the public pressure and our results meant they could not possibly continue with him.

I’ll give Brown, despite being poor this year they could have brought him back in.

So kudos to the coaches for not picking ONE senior player they could have.

Even if we picked those players we'd still be the youngest and most inexperienced team against almost all sides in the league

The FACT is we played fewer old/experienced players than any AFL team
How does our list compare for old/experienced players to other teams. That’s more relevant.

So if Laird misses Matt is absolutely the right player to take his place as the 1st possession player whether you like it or not.
This 👆.

I mentioned it last week. Matt effectively lost his job to Laird last year. We've tried shoehorning both players into the midfield but it's totally unbalancing and strangles the ball movement. However if Laird is out then Matt is the logical next man up

So if Laird misses Matt is absolutely the right player to take his place as the 1st possession player whether you like it or not.
No he isn't, it means playing Hately in the centre square and bringing in a Sholl for the wing or Newchurch to play half forward and Soligo back to wing.

Even if we picked those players we'd still be the youngest and most inexperienced team against almost all sides in the league
You asked which youth are we prioritising, so stop trying to shift the goal posts.

Yes, we'd probably still be the youngest & least experienced team with those players included - but we've made a conscious choice to omit them, selecting (prioritising) youngsters in their place. Doing so guarantees that we'll be the youngest & least experienced.

You asked which youth are we prioritising, so stop trying to shift the goal posts.

Yes, we'd probably still be the youngest & least experienced team with those players included - but we've made a conscious choice to omit them, selecting (prioritising) youngsters in their place. Doing so guarantees that we'll be the youngest & least experienced.

It was a non-question, a statement about what actually matters at week to week selection at the moment.

I mean we also recruited a big bodied mid with a questionable kick to play wing this season... Soooo
Tonight Show Reaction GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Solid changes, really.

Thilthorpe and Jones in and had the sense to ignore Crouchs 42 disp/1 goal game to retain Shoenberg. We also retained a very quiet Parnell instead of bringing Brown back.

Newchurch not getting a debut is probably the only negative, but that just seems like a matter of time until it occurs now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back