Preview Changes: R17 vs Essendon

If Tex is out injured who do you think will come in for him?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Fogarty can kicks goals but that's all.

We've been here before:
And does Tex become the player he is if Craig doesn't team him lessons about working hard and him needing to do more than just kick a couple of goals a game and do literally nothing else to contribute while his poor defensive efforts undo the goals he kicked anyway?

We had a guy called Lewis Johnston who though that's all he needed to do. Same pick in the draft as Fog, about the same height. He achieved SFA because of his attitude.

And does Tex become the player he is if Craig doesn't team him lessons about working hard and him needing to do more than just kick a couple of goals a game and do literally nothing else to contribute while his poor defensive efforts undo the goals he kicked anyway?

We had a guy called Lewis Johnston who though that's all he needed to do. Same pick in the draft as Fog, about the same height. He achieved SFA because of his attitude.
Yes

He was the youngest ever player to kick 50 SANFL goals, before any lessons had even started

He was a gimme for whoever coached him

Yes

He was the youngest ever player to kick 50 SANFL goals, before any lessons had even started

He was a gimme for whoever coached him
And he became an even better player because of the lessons Craig taught him.

"When he didn't play me early on I was like 'bloody hell, why isn't he playing me?'

"He said to me 'mate, your defensive pressure is pretty much non-existent.' I'd say 'yeah, but I'm kicking goals.' But now I'm so thankful for Neil's decisions and how he taught me."

And he became an even better player because of the lessons Craig taught him.
Yeah he says the right stuff. Lyons interview was good too. Classy. No player tips the bucket on former coaches.

His tackle numbers in his debut season (2009) weren't bettered until... 2017.

A Day in the Life ..... (of the AFC Selectors):

"We're sticking with no-goals-Frampton and bringing back Himmelberg".

Well, I just had to la-a-aff. (Beatles fans, come on down! :sneaky: )

Yeah he says the right stuff. Lyons interview was good too. Classy. No player tips the bucket on former coaches.

His tackle numbers in his debut season (2009) weren't bettered until... 2017.

“I wouldn’t say he was harder on me than others,” Walker said.

“He was just like that. He wanted the best out of everyone. That is what coaches are there for.” But it’s only with hindsight that Walker, who made his AFL debut in 2009, really appreciates Craig’s tough love.

“Probably not at the time,” he said.

“But now that we’re here, he taught me a lot of things, he was awesome to me.

“Most men are pretty stubborn. I was like that.

“When you’re a young kid you sort of think you have got everything under your hat and know what is going on.”
There he goes lying again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There he goes lying again.
He's saying diplomatic, respectful things

His tackle numbers actually regressed despite these career changing lessons

All that happened in real terms is that we changed coaches. Tex stopped being dropped to the SANFL, Dangerfield stopped being played out of the goalsquare etc

He's saying diplomatic, respectful things

His tackle numbers actually regressed despite these career changing lessons

All that happened in real terms is that we changed coaches. Tex stopped being dropped to the SANFL, Dangerfield stopped being played out of the goalsquare etc
There's more to defensive pressure than just tackle numbers.

I actually think this game will be interesting.

Having Walker around especially with the midfield we have is a double edge sword. Sure he's having a good season, but we don't have midfielders who can actually think through situations, well our prime midfielders can't, Shoenberg send Berry have shown that ability. What this means is that when they aren't blindly bombing, they are generally blindly kicking to Walker, even though there are better options and leads. This makes it very difficult for other forwards who lead all day and get ignored.

It will be very interesting to see what happens, but I think we may well see more balanced forward play.

In the long run though, the quicker we promote the next generation of midfielders the better.

What's the bet the efforts to tank backfire and we win it. AFC are absolutely capable of that kind of fail. For some crazy reason I am actually tipping us to win. I think the perception of Essendon form is just smoke and mirrors. The only form side they have beaten was WC in Perth, and since then WC have been exposed big time. I'm thinking we're a big chance to beat them at AO next weekend considering we have an extra 3 days break.

The only other game EH and Billy have played together without Walker was R17 against Carlton last year. Between them they kicked 3.2.

What's the bet the efforts to tank backfire and we win it. AFC are absolutely capable of that kind of fail. For some crazy reason I am actually tipping us to win. I think the perception of Essendon form is just smoke and mirrors. The only form side they have beaten was WC in Perth, and since then WC have been exposed big time. I'm thinking we're a big chance to beat them at AO next weekend considering we have an extra 3 days break.

The only other game EH and Billy have played together without Walker was R17 against Carlton last year. Between them they kicked 3.2.
There was no need to tank. We should have picked our best side with an eye to the future. That side would have been competitive and likely gone down by 4 to 5 goals. Tomorrow's side will get pumped while not getting games into all of the players we should be. A double fail and trying to be too smart for our own boots and backfiring in the process. You are underestimating Essendon. They are a good side on the right path that should emulate next year what the swans have done this year. You should change your tip if you care about picking a winner or have money on it. We may win the game but the odds are that Essendon would win this match 9 times out of 10 at home on their own deck.

Last edited:
Spoken like someone who's never had an Achilles injury, probably doesn't have a medical degree, and probably hasn't played competitive sport in his life!

If you did, you'd know that Achilles soreness can be played on, and played through in the right circumstances. As a matter of fact there's probably quite a few playing with soreness in other teams. It's highly likely his achilles is flaring up, and hasn't responded to periods of rest like they normally do. It's obviously deteriorated beyond the point of being able to be played on.

Players play with niggles and soreness, that's professional sport.

It's not the fact that we've been playing him a touch sore that grinds my gears, it's the fact that we didn't play him through the SANFL to provide at least level of gradual loading to his achilles. Screams of arrogance.

Thank you Doctor. I’m sure we’re all that bit more informed now 👍

Back