Preview Changes: R17 vs Hawthorn @ Marvel

Remove this Banner Ad

Murphy to have played his last game tonight, was the wrong in by the selectors and as we expected did nothing. Will not advance this team, so no point gifting him games in future.

Jones was ineffective but don't want the obvious to replace him so just leave in.

Rachelle is bereft of confidence and not being done any favours playing seniors, off to the SANFL to find the ball.

You could easily argue to drop Murphy and let Rachele play his role, Enables him to get higher up the field and get more involved
Yes. Been advocating this for a few weeks, can't just put Rachele in a forward pocket and expect him to work magic all the time

Needs time spent up the ground to boost his confidence and increase his touches

You could easily argue to drop Murphy and let Rachele play his role, Enables him to get higher up the field and get more involved

You could then bring in Newchurch (or McAdam if available) to play deeper
Would be better than Rachele staying where he is at the moment. Worth a try.

Out: Murphy, Hately.
In: McAdam (Newchurch if not fit), Taylor.

Yup, I'm calling a different debut to the one you were expecting. Just a hunch on watching Taylors game and considering another 1st round draftee who really bolted this year.

I don't think Murray and Butts fit into the same team, because they play the same single position, and I think Butts is much the superior player.

I also think they aren't going to do anything about it.

There are some things I love about Murray, but it scares me the potential damage he's gonna cause one of our key backmen sooner or later.

They really have to work out this 3 man up for the same spoil crap they have going on. I'd be instructing them, that if it's a disputed airball and Murray is within spoiling range, to just step aside and leave the wrecking ball do his thing.

Is this your opinion or is there some proof you might like to cite? I couldn't disagree with your comment more strongly.
Just basic common sense. How does playing on weaker opponents make you better?

You rebuild a side by finding the players who will be part of your next tilt and putting games into them come hell or high water. Sometimes they will go through lean periods but that shouldn't bother you if your original assessment of their talent was on point. I think Rachele is the kind of player where you just have to hang on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SANFL 10th July V Sturt
In Jones, Rachele, Sholl McAdam McHenry
Out Davis, Turner Taylor

F Newchurch Himmelberg Nankervis
HF Gollant McAsey Wright
C Cook Jones Sholl
HB McPherson Frampton Worrell
B Brown Borlase Templeton
R Strachan Rachele Crouch
I Hall, Boyle, Mckenzie Sharrad

AFL10th July V Hawthorn
Out - Jones, Rachele,
In - Turner, Taylor
SUB - Davis

F Rowe Thithorpe Walker
HF Milera Fogarty Keays
C Turner Taylor Dawson
HB Hinge Murray Laird
B Smith Butts Doedee
R O'Brien Berry Soligo
I Murphy, Parnell, Schoenberg Hately

Last edited:
There are some things I love about Murray, but it scares me the potential damage he's gonna cause one of our key backmen sooner or later.

They really have to work out this 3 man up for the same spoil crap they have going on. I'd be instructing them, that if it's a disputed airball and Murray is within spoiling range, to just step aside and leave the wrecking ball do his thing.

The charitable way to describe Murray is "uncomplicated"

The more realistic way to describe him is as an oversized country footballer with AFL level fitness - good at using his size to run for big spoils, but not particularly clever, and while he really thumps his boot through the ball and gets a lot of distance, he lacks any kind of direction or finesse.

Butts is the better stopper, and is also a better user despite only being a step or two less limited than Talia in that regard.

Just basic common sense. How does playing on weaker opponents make you better?

You rebuild a side by finding the players who will be part of your next tilt and putting games into them come hell or high water. Sometimes they will go through lean periods but that shouldn't bother you if your original assessment of their talent was on point. I think Rachele is the kind of player where you just have to hang on.

Correct.

Underperforming senior players are the ones who should get dropped back to the two's, you need to persist with the younger players in a rebuild.

The charitable way to describe Murray is "uncomplicated"

The more realistic way to describe him is as an oversized country footballer with AFL level fitness - good at using his size to run for big spoils, but not particularly clever, and while he really thumps his boot through the ball and gets a lot of distance, he lacks any kind of direction or finesse.

Butts is the better stopper, and is also a better user despite only being a step or two less limited than Talia in that regard.

Yeah I don't think that's too far off the mark as he is currently being used.
I do think though, that if we can afford both Hartigan and Kelly the games we did, then we can find, if not invent a role for this kid, as I see his ceiling as being a fair bit higher( for some reason I'm not quite sure about yet).

Do extremely talented players often learn playing against weaker opposition?

He's playing an incredibly difficult role at AFL level in our team and while he's not going amazingly he clearly outperformed Murphy today
Yes . All the time. In any sport you care to mention.

Using Murphy as "the standard" is misguided and sets an unbelievably low bar for his potential and talent. If Josh is a major piece of our future premiership side (we all hope he will be) then he is best compared with players who are comparable. He's had yet another stinker today. Dropping him to the SANFL will help him greatly until he can start finding the ball more. At the moment, he not gaining or learning anything just chasing and not often catching) the play.

Improvement requires practice irrespective of what you do or the talent you have. Mastering any skill requires repetition. Five disposals today practices very little indeed. Furthermore, he's practiced very little lately as he can't get near it.

I like the guy but it's now obvious he is struggling and flogging him each week as we are is mismanagement. Other than some Saturday night (lubricated) vitriol, there is no "magic" that's going to happen by persisting blindly. We all like the mythical 50 game scenario and I admit, experience is a critical factor . However, how many more games like we're currently seeing before Josh's experience actually becomes negative?

As good as he might be someday, it's time to hit the training track and SANFL.

In - Out
Hamill - Murphy
McAdam - Rowe
Newchurch - Rachele
Cook - Schoenberg

B: Doedee, Butts, Hamill
HB: Jones, Murray, Parnell
C: Soligo, Keays, Dawson
HF: Thilthorpe, Walker, Milera
F: Newchurch, Fogarty, McAdam
R: O'Brien, Berry, Laird
I: Smith, Hately, Hinge, Cook

Hamill back allows Dawson to a wing, where he should be playing moat of the time.

Schoenberg out allows Hately to play as an inside mid (Schoey doesn't appear completely switched on).

Need to rebuild our small forwards as were a non-event today.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back