Preview Changes: R17 vs Hawthorn @ Marvel

Remove this Banner Ad

Milera out
Did you actually watch the game?
That was his best game this season and by a fair margin and the improvement in composure and skills was very noticeable against a high class opposition.

Yes . All the time. In any sport you care to mention.

Using Murphy as "the standard" is misguided and sets an unbelievably low bar for his potential and talent. If Josh is a major piece of our future premiership side (we all hope he will be) then he is best compared with players who are comparable. He's had yet another stinker today. Dropping him to the SANFL will help him greatly until he can start finding the ball more. At the moment, he not gaining or learning anything just chasing and not often catching) the play.

Improvement requires practice irrespective of what you do or the talent you have. Mastering any skill requires repetition. Five disposals today practices very little indeed. Furthermore, he's practiced very little lately as he can't get near it.

I like the guy but it's now obvious he is struggling and flogging him each week as we are is mismanagement. Other than some Saturday night (lubricated) vitriol, there is no "magic" that's going to happen by persisting blindly. We all like the mythical 50 game scenario and I admit, experience is a critical factor . However, how many more games like we're currently seeing before Josh's experience actually becomes negative?

As good as he might be someday, it's time to hit the training track and SANFL.

What are the examples of SANFL practice producing elite players?

Rachele's and TT's facial expressions these days are dead giveaways. They are overwhelmed with zero confidence. They both need to be managed in the SANFL for the rest of the year. Bring in some new young'uns.

Cook was good in the SANFL today and should come in. The wings in the AFL should be from Dawson, Cook, Hinge and Soligo: noone else.

Rachele's and TT's facial expressions these days are dead giveaways. They are overwhelmed with zero confidence. They both need to be managed in the SANFL for the rest of the year. Bring in some new young'uns.

Cook was good in the SANFL today and should come in. The wings in the AFL should be from Dawson, Cook, Hinge and Soligo: noone else.

TT showed earlier this year that there is absolutely nothing for him to gain at SANFL level. He stays and has the rest of the year to figure things out. To be fair, he looked on the way to it as he clunked a couple of nice marks.

Rachele is probably due a rest, however, I'd push him on for one more week. Hawks is a genuine 50/50 game.

What are the examples of SANFL practice producing elite players?
I'm happy to nominate every player in the AFL. I can't think of a single player who hasn't spent time in the reserves especially when young and new. Even the great G Abblett jnr played about 15 reserves games in his first season. Jimmy Bartell too actually. Their Browlow medals prove they had talent but it seems their coaches recognised they needed some "practice" before playing at senior level.

I'm happy to nominate every player in the AFL. I can't think of a single player who hasn't spent time in the reserves especially when young and new. Even the great G Abblett jnr played about 15 reserves games in his first season. Jimmy Bartell too actually. Their Browlow medals prove they had talent but it seems their coaches recognised they needed some "practice" before playing at senior level.
I'm pretty sure Sam Walsh never played VFL for Carlton

99.9% of players play reserves at some point. Sam Walsh is just a pure gun. Although Carlton should have picked Rozee according to Kornes.
Speaking of Rozee I don't think he has played SANFL for Port ever either

2nd one is a cracking article.

Judd played the 1 game and that was it lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In
Cook Gollant Newchurch Worrell/Frampton

Out
Hately Thilthorpe Murphy Smith

Parnell Butts Doedee
Worrell/Frampton Murray Hinge
Cook Laird Dawson
Milera Walker Rachele
Newchurch Fogarty Gollant

ROB Berry Soligo

Keays Jones Rowe Schoenberg

Last edited:
And it was the repetition at low competition that made the elites you conclude?

Sending guys to a lower quality league to "help" their development is a myth.
Depends on the role.

I woukd argue games in lower leagues help KPPs and Rucks, plus pure mids.

Allow them to Kearney how to control their opponents and the game.

But for small forward, nope. They need to develop at the higher level as the game for them is different at the lower levels.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I reckon Hinge will be suspended for the dangerous tackle, which is a shame because that was likely his best game. Perfect opportunity to get Worrell in.

Tex might struggle to get up once that cork cools down. If needed - Gollant or a long shot, McAsey?

If Rachele has been playing as sore as Roo admitted, for god's sake rest him and play Newchurch.

Murphy out is the obvious one. If we want a pressure forward, McHenry in. Or maybe try a Cook type in that role.

Otherwise back the rest of them in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back