Votes: 4 8.9%
  • OUT: Stengle

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • IN: Ootiib C

Votes: 5 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

On another note, did anyone else enjoy Milera lowering his eyes and delivering the ball lace out to Tex on the lead? We need much more of this and less throw it on the boot and hack it forward
Gallucci is also good at this. He and Milera our best exponents of the forward entry to advantage. He should have a mortgage on Dougie's HFF spot rotating through the mids.

Enough of playing these guys in all sorts of positions from week to week as jacks of all trades, masters of none. Time to settle them into defined roles and let them master them. We know where their talents lie now.

Yep, agree with lots of the discussions. We don't really know what we are doing when it comes to developing a list that can win a flag. We are pretty good at winning h/a games. Not bad in finals. Awful at putting it all together for a flag.

Why we refuse to try some of these young guns in the positions they excel at I will never know.

I'd rather we lost a few more irrelevant games because we were experimenting OR our players were still learning their roles.

But no. Alas. We will go with our method which has delivered three fifths of bugger all over the last 20 years.

Sent using Tapatalk App on Android.

Absolutely, bloke seems to find the ball a lot easier in the middle, tackles well, is a great user of the ball and makes ELITE decisions in clutch moments. I think we should actually play him on the wing, and move Atkins to HFF. Atkins does his beset work forward of centre and is a great shot for goal on the run. Move Atkins to HFF where his defensive responsibilities are minimised and he can excel in the attack only role. Play Gooch on the wing.

Some other thought on topics in here:
- Agree with comments of Knight to go back to tagging. He seems to be at his best, and contributes the most to the team as a whole when he's given a defensive role as his primary objective, and hurts players going the other way when he can. He's also one of our only players that's a niggling, jammy little b*astard, perfect for the role. Has the tank and the aggression for it, and it seems to help him stay involved in games rather than in no-mans land.
We have a shot forward line terrible structure and very little link up play, Knight can't survive there in this current environment.
- In saying that though, someone like Murphy seems to play a lot better up the ground. Stays involved in the play more and is a genuine threat from outside 50. He's not a smart, creative, opportunist small forward like a Betts/Stengle. He's a bullock-ing work horse. Whether or not we can fit him in our forward 6-7 with Lynch, Knight, Atkins/Gooch as 'up the ground candidates is another question'.
- When tagged Sloane should also be going to FF a lot more than what he does. Very few taggers will be able to go with him in the air + on the ground. Moves to half back have also been successful for him. We have the midfield coverage, so why not act on this quicker than what we do?

Overall it's frustrating that we don't seem to every really experiment (although they arent really) or more so play players to their strength. We seem hell-bent on abiding by this structure the coaches have come up with (news flash guys, it's f***ing sh*t house). As I've said previously, we've seen someone like Geelong year after year bring in players and play them in roles that 1. Benefit the team overall 2. Help the individual.

Why we refuse to play Gooch in the midfield more or use Knight as a tagger just has me bewildered sometimes.

The big problem with that whole paragraph is Atkins lack of defensive work is going to be more exposed at half forward flank then wing seeing you are required to tackle more there then wing. Defensive pressure in the forward line is critical afterall.

If you want to hide poor defensive work, wing and half back flank are the best spots for it. Both of those positions don't require a good defensive game as they are all about offensive output.

Last edited:
Absolutely, bloke seems to find the ball a lot easier in the middle, tackles well, is a great user of the ball and makes ELITE decisions in clutch moments. I think we should actually play him on the wing, and move Atkins to HFF. Atkins does his beset work forward of centre and is a great shot for goal on the run. Move Atkins to HFF where his defensive responsibilities are minimised and he can excel in the attack only role. Play Gooch on the wing.
Gaucc is worth a try on the wing. However, considering Atkins is the only wing we have ATM actually getting the ball, I'd put Gaucc on the other wing and leave Rat there. Assuming we have someone else on the other wing, whoever it has been lately, they can play on the HF line instead

Gaucc is worth a try on the wing. However, considering Atkins is the only wing we have ATM actually getting the ball, I'd put Gaucc on the other wing and leave Rat there. Assuming we have someone else on the other wing, whoever it has been lately, they can play on the HF line instead
I do think he’s a genuine midfielder.

I reckon he was 5-6 possessions short of a really complete midfield performance on Sat. Some of his centre clearances were brilliant. And he was very hard at it in the clinches with 9 tackles.

Better wing than not in the side I guess but I’m hoping they push him as a mid soon

Anything to improve our forward 50 entries. Definitely looked like Milera had an impact in this area, a midfielder that's able to evade then find lower the eyes and skill to actually hit a team mate to advantage. I don't know whether it's team balance, speed or whatever but our normal plan of blindly bombing it in under pressure isn't going to win games against decent oppo.

Both Milera and Smith looked good coming out of the middle and with pinpoint kicking

Plus it was a nice change to see them get after oppo mids with some real speed

(Log in to remove this ad.)

id love to see fog come in and play a high half forward. He would make a good target coming out of defence and the penetration in his kick would be great from the wing into our forward line, then keep tex back deep as a lead up forward.

Although we would be SLOW and let Essendon’s back line run around like port supporter with their parole ankle bracelets removed!
The trouble with that idea is that the high half forward role is Tex's best position. He has this uncanny knack of kicking straight through the middle from outside 50 but 35-40 I'm always worried. I can't wait for Fog to play as well but realistically he can only replace Tex.

What i would do..
B. Brown Talia Kelly
Hb. Laird Keath Smith
C. Atkins Sloane Knight
Hf. Greenwood Walker Murphy
F. Betts Jenkins Stengle
R. Obrien Milera M.Crouch
Int. Fogarty, Jones, Seedsman, B. Crouch.

In. Fogarty, Jones
Out. Hartigan, Mackay.

A pregame thread where folk are talking about the actual game and not just sooking about the opposition is refreshing.

I don't mind you guys, but that will change once I hear the home crowd cheers.
Hurley is out but Ambrose should be back and Heppel looks likely to return which will bolster our mids that were pretty impressive.
Should be a cracker.

A pregame thread where folk are talking about the actual game and not just sooking about the opposition is refreshing.

I don't mind you guys, but that will change once I hear the home crowd cheers.
Hurley is out but Ambrose should be back and Heppel looks likely to return which will bolster our mids that were pretty impressive.
Should be a cracker.
We sook about our own team here!

We really missed a trick not playing McHenry when he was in ripping form. Sliding doors. Then he got injured in the twos and missed games through sanfl byes etc. Ballsed his management up completely.

We just don't have enough speed in our 22 to be competitive at the pointy end this year

I do think he’s a genuine midfielder.

Better wing than not in the side I guess but I’m hoping they push him as a mid soon
Both Milera and Smith looked good coming out of the middle and with pinpoint kicking

Plus it was a nice change to see them get after oppo mids with some real speed

Interesting that it has become obvious the reason DMac was brought in was to push Smith into a fwd/midfield role.

What would be the better option...

Smith (HBF) + Gooch (fwd-mid)
Dmac (HBF) + Smith (fwd-mid)

Also, if they do persist with the latter (which I dont mind, i like smith around the ball as I think he is quite good in congestion as well as his obvious outside weapons), it brings back the possibility of rolling Gibbs on a HBF in place of Dmac

We really missed a trick not playing McHenry when he was in ripping form. Sliding doors. Then he got injured in the twos and missed games through sanfl byes etc. Ballsed his management up completely.

We just don't have enough speed in our 22 to be competitive at the pointy end this year
Playing Douglas ahead of him in the JLT was a stupid move

It’s actually refreshing to have a game coming up where you don’t have any negative feelings towards the opposition.

Particularly love the way Sloane goes about it and think Eddie is one of the legit gentlemen of the league.

Hopefully it’s a great game on Friday (and injury free too) 👍🏼
I’m looking forward to seeing Shaun McKernan, was always a fan and believed he could make it. Very happy that he’s scratched out a career.

Don’t want him playing too well though!

Interesting that it has become obvious the reason DMac was brought in was to push Smith into a fwd/midfield role.

What would be the better option...

Smith (HBF) + Gooch (fwd-mid)
Dmac (HBF) + Smith (fwd-mid)

Also, if they do persist with the latter (which I dont mind, i like smith around the ball as I think he is quite good in congestion as well as his obvious outside weapons), it brings back the possibility of rolling Gibbs on a HBF in place of Dmac
Or roll Brouch to HB or HF and allow Gooch/Jobea into the middle

No reason Brad couldn’t start in the middle with Rory out of the square.

I’d give Clarke something to think about by putting Rory on the wing at times. Keep the role moving, don’t get him comfortable

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Stoppages are the easiest places to tag. Get him gut running on a wing. Standing stationary with your opponent next to you is very difficult to break without elite speed.

Back