Out: Walker, Kelly

B: Brown, Hartigan, Doedee
HB: Milera, Keath, Laird
C: Seedsman, Mrouch, Gibbs
HF: Lynch, McGovern, Gallucci
F: Betts, Jenkins, Fogarty
R: Jacobs, Sloane, Knight
I: Cheney, Greenwood, Atkins, Murphy
It's either Gov or Fog IMO. Not both. I'm tempted to go with Gov actually even though he's had a long time off just cause he seems to play better when he's the main marking forward.

Now weve got a fee ppl back, I'm curious to see if we will bring injured players straight back in as much or.give them runs in the twos first.

Not sure why there is so little love for CEY, played two games in the twos now, can play inside in the center for us, contested beast to release sloaney to be a bit more outside. Also can go forward and present as a reasonable.size target.

It's either Gov or Fog IMO. Not both. I'm tempted to go with Gov actually even though he's had a long time off just cause he seems to play better when he's the main marking forward.
My reasoning is Gibbs was wasted up forward & better off on Kelly's wing... meaning we bring in 2 forwards.

The other alternative is to bring in Polholke.

I can't see Kelly being dropped. My one change would be Gov for Tex. If he is ready. If not then maybe Fog. I have changed my stance since seeing him play Sunday. And he is replacing Tex so.we are not losing too much speed.

That is the one change I can see happening.

Keep Talia out for another week. We beat Geelong without him.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Now weve got a fee ppl back, I'm curious to see if we will bring injured players straight back in as much or.give them runs in the twos first.

Not sure why there is so little love for CEY, played two games in the twos now, can play inside in the center for us, contested beast to release sloaney to be a bit more outside. Also can go forward and present as a reasonable.size target.
You've got a good point I reckon.

We were poor in contested ball last week, conversely Brisbane are smashing it...danger signs.

Bolster the inside mids with CEY, Gibbs/Sloane/Knight more outside rotation, Kelly dropped.

Conversely, I wonder how Greenwood is travelling...is he tiring? Hopefully not but he may need a freshen up at some stage.

I can't see Kelly being dropped.

Sadly I agree but i ask myself why?!

He's been poor most of the season, offers nothing offensively, his work on the wing is making us almost miss Mackay (not quite) and Cheney has taken his spot in the backlines.

Sadly I agree but i ask myself why?!

He's been poor most of the season, offers nothing offensively, his work on the wing is making us almost miss Mackay (not quite) and Cheney has taken his spot in the backlines.

He's also been doing his best impersonation of Fumble-lina at the moment, and is killing any bit of momentum we had going forward on attacks.

Needs to be dropped ASAP. He's the weakest chain in the link by a long way.

There is no love for CEY because Matt Crouch and Greenwood are fit (which stops CEY from getting an inside spot). Not only that but 3 slow inside only players is a recipes for disaster.

Cam only gets games when one of those two are injured.

There is no love for CEY because Matt Crouch and Greenwood are fit (which stops CEY from getting an inside spot). Not only that but 3 slow inside only players is a recipes for disaster.

Cam only gets games when one of those two are injured.
Look at Port to see how ineffective having more than two one paced pure inside mids work in a team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gov & Fog???
WTF it’s back to the same structure that we know doesn’t work. Too big and too slow. And yes I know Gov is not slow, but that 4 tall structure is one we need to avoid.
Whilst I don’t agree with those changes for this week, I do think we can play 4 tall forwards if one of those is Gov. Especially if one of the others is Lynch.

I don’t think we can play JJ, Tex, Lynch, Fog.

Out - Tex, In- McGovern

This is a no brainer. If McLovin is able to play in the Twos, he can play in the Ones. Yes, he will be lacking a run but he is still likely to at least match the output from The Fog. It also means he is better prepared for the Melbourne game.

If they want to manage McLovins game time then my second choice is Keath (see below)

Out - Keath, In- Talia

If DT isn’t available then Alex remains as a tall defender.

Out - Kelly, In - ?????

We have been rotating eight players through the back six, with Kelly spending quite a bit of time on the wing. With the successful return of The Rat (one game doesn’t make a plague) then it makes no sense to me for us to retain Kelly.

We have a NEED for SPEED.

Option one; In- Gibson. He is not quick but he has similar endurance to Jake and knows how to play on the wing.

Option two; In - CEY. He can spend time forward as well as spurts on the ball. Once again he is not quick but we could use Gallucci more in the midfield and also use Sloane and Gibbs on the wings when resting the Rat and The Seed.

Option three; In - Poholke. Refer to comments for CEY

Option four; In - Wilson. Refer to comments re Poholke

If only we had a quick run and carry player who could play on the wing :rolleyes:.

Just looked a little deeper into the Brisbane stats and they seem to do a relatively good job at holding key forwards in check. Where they seem to let guys get off the leash is the bigger bodied, resting mid type.

Dusty: 6 Goals
Hogan: 5 goals (not a resting mid but runs like one)
De Geoy: 5 Goals
Bont: 4 Goals
O'Meara: 4 Goals
Stringer: 3 Goals
Zeibell: 3 goals
Gunstan: 3 Goals (although he's not that big)

With this in mind maybe its not a bad idea to put more emphasis on playing Sloane and/or Gibbs out of the goalsquare a bit this week. See if we can exploit that a bit!

EDIT: CEY also would fit that bill. But his lack of pace might be an issue

Last edited:
When CEY got injured early last year, it was just as he was showing form and strength. This year he returned ripped and his tackling and hard work inside have been very good. I was a big fan, but he's lost me.
I don't know if it's attitude or laziness (maybe both) but his two-way running is dismal. Once the ball is out, he loses interest and focus; his defensive pressure around the ground in tracking other mids is woeful, which I just do not understand. He's fit and built like a brick shithouse. Why doesn't he chase? o_O

Afterthought: could be The Hass Effect ie he fears doing a hammie. :D

Out: Tex, Hartigan, Kelly
In: McGovern, Talia, Poholke/Gibson

We are playing Kelly on a wing. Terrible selection and coaching. Bring in either Poholke or gibson.

Brown Talia Doedee
Laird Keath Cheney
Seedsman Gibbs Atkins
Lynch McGovern Murphy
Betts Jenkins Galluci
Jacobs M.Crouch Sloane
Greenwood Milera Knight Poholke/Gibson.

Probably prefer Gibson as Beams or Zorko might get off the leash and cut us up. Poholke plays his best footy at afl level right now as a strong marking half forward which to be honest we dont really need with Lynch and gov back.

Out - Tex, In- McGovern

This is a no brainer. If McLovin is able to play in the Twos, he can play in the Ones. Yes, he will be lacking a run but he is still likely to at least match the output from The Fog. It also means he is better prepared for the Melbourne game.

If they want to manage McLovins game time then my second choice is Keath (see below)

Out - Keath, In- Talia

If DT isn’t available then Alex remains as a tall defender.

Out - Kelly, In - ?????

We have been rotating eight players through the back six, with Kelly spending quite a bit of time on the wing. With the successful return of The Rat (one game doesn’t make a plague) then it makes no sense to me for us to retain Kelly.

We have a NEED for SPEED.

Option one; In- Gibson. He is not quick but he has similar endurance to Jake and knows how to play on the wing.

Option two; In - CEY. He can spend time forward as well as spurts on the ball. Once again he is not quick but we could use Gallucci more in the midfield and also use Sloane and Gibbs on the wings when resting the Rat and The Seed.

Option three; In - Poholke. Refer to comments for CEY

Option four; In - Wilson. Refer to comments re Poholke

If only we had a quick run and carry player who could play on the wing :rolleyes:.

http://www.afc.com.au/video/2018-07-18/jake-kelly-50-afl-games

When CEY got injured early last year, it was just as he was showing form and strength. This year he returned ripped and his tackling and hard work inside have been very good. I was a big fan, but he's lost me.
I don't know if it's attitude or laziness (maybe both) but his two-way running is dismal. Once the ball is out, he loses interest and focus; his defensive pressure around the ground in tracking other mids is woeful, which I just do not understand. He's fit and built like a brick shithouse. Why doesn't he chase? o_O

Afterthought: could be The Hass Effect ie he fears doing a hammie. :D
This isnt new. I remember seeing it often from the stands in 2015. Its just part of his game. Ultimately its going to cost him a permanent spot in an afl side, which is a shame.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back