Preview Changes: R19 vs Dees, Sunday July 23rd 2:50pm ACST @ MCG

How many unforced changes will we make?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it?

It’s more like let’s not waste games on someone who is going to get delisted.

A false statement seems more like “this whole thread is like we never play kids”
Come on Froggy. You have seen the number of posts that suggest the kids aren't getting a fair go.

None of us have a clue how close anyone is to actual selection. But based on evidence, Hately is not likely to get selected and it's not a stretch to think that the club has moved past him.

Borlase may have had 2 opportunities this year. But in the scheme of things 2 games to a player that looks like 4th spud up isn't make or break.

Parnell and Worrell have been given gigs.

Cook has been selected, and may make it.

I just don't see where all the anger comes from. Not you in particular, because I rate you as a poster. But there is a bunch of vitirol directed at the club.

In the context of a 2020 bottom out and entirely new staff in the middle of COVID woth ****ed and unjustifiable up AFL sanctions and 2 years of AFL media bashing the club, I don't see how we can realistically be ahead of where we are with development.

5 1st to 3rd year players in the best 22.
A bunch of 4th year players in best 22.
Signed up all the young prospects to decent deals (So if they want out we have good trafe currency). This reverses a much complaineed about trend.
Recruited in 2 A grade players in Dawson and Rankine.
Got an increasing number wins yeear on year...

I just don't see that there is much more that can be done. A game here or there is splitting hairs.

Not saying everything is perfect.and I have posted a number of times that subbing Soligo out in the Pies game was a major clanger. And predetermined thinkimg like this, I have always been critical of.

I reckon Soligo or Berry should have been an in for this game and Sloane out or sub

None of the big picture problems like match fitness or recruiting for our midfield deficiencies are going to be fixed in season. 1 more preseason for the youngsters and good drafting/recruiting is what we need.

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Come on Froggy. You have seen the number of posts that suggest the kids aren't getting a fair go.

None of us have a clue how close anyone is to actual selection. But based on evidence, Hately is not likely to get selected and it's not a stretch to think that the club has moved past him.

Borlase may have had 2 opportunities this year. But in the scheme of things 2 games to a player that looks like 4th spud up isn't make or break.

I just don't see where all the anger comes from. Not you in particular, because I rate you as a poster. But there is a bunch of vitirol directed at the club.

In the context of a 2020 bottom out and entirely new staff in the middle of COVID woth ****ed and unjustifiable up AFL sanctions and 2 years of AFL media bashing the club, I don't see how we can realistically be ahead of where we are with development.

Signed up all the young prospects to decent deals (So if they want out we have good trafe currency). This reverses a much complaineed about trend.

I just don't see that there is much more that can be done. A game here or there is splitting hairs.

Not saying everything is perfect.and I have posted a number of times that subbing Soligo out in the Pies game was a major clanger. And predetermined thinkimg like this, I have always been critical of.

I reckon Soligo or Berry should have been an in for this game and Sloane out or sub

None of the big picture problems like match fitness or recruiting for our midfield deficiencies are going to be fixed in season. 1 more preseason for the youngsters and good drafting/recruiting is what we need.

Post of the season so far and 100% correct.

' we never play kids' - opportunity arises and we bring in a 28 yr old forward to replace a defender.

And you think that's ok.

Says more about you than us who rightly point out opportunities
Like I said...... That selection will neither make nor break any player's career. Nor hinder the development of kids.

The #1 indicator for playing finals is games played together. The #1 premiership indicator is finals played together. Arguing about 1 or 2 games when players like Rach Soligo, MM, Rankine, Fog, TT, Pedlar, Murray, Butts (our future) have actually played a decent number of games together this year seems like a waste of time. However, "no one at the club know what they are doing, selectors have nfi and kids aren't getting games".

Like I said...... That selection will neither make nor break any player's career. Nor hinder the development of kids.
Well I guess that makes it ok. It's actually not the selection. It's the thinking behind it. It's flawed.
The #1 indicator for playing finals is games played together. The #1 premiership indicator is finals played together. Arguing about 1 or 2 games when players like Rach Soligo, MM, Rankine, Fog, TT, Pedlar, Murray, Butts (our future) have actually played a decent number of games together this year seems like a waste of time. However, "no one at the club know what they are doing, selectors have nfi and kids aren't getting games".

The #1 indicator of success is structure.

By not playing Borlase (for example) is we change from 2 tall structure to a 1 .

We then shuffle Jones back. When he was playing well on the wing. We then move Murphy back to fit in McAdam.

And you wonder why players are confused

The anger comes from brain dead decisions.

Sure - Its brilliant that Nicks has invested lots of games into our really young talent like TT, Rachele, Soligo, Max, Pedlar etc.

Whats not great is that we are investing important AFL games into players that don't have a future with us.

Its not a game here and there.

Rowe - 17 games - delisted.
Ben Davis - 5 games - delisted
Matt Crouch - 13 games - Likely delisted after being dropped 5 times.
Doedee - 4 games - Delayed surgery so he could play
Murphy - 16 games this year and dropped (still uncontracted for 2024).

By my count thats 55 games that could have been given to players with a future.

Plus situations where we went in small (Richmond/Essendon) games and didn't blood Borlase or Keane.

Max has looked awesome all season except last round... come on.

Grasping at straws in a discussion about giving kids ago then suggesting ripping a kid out earlier....

Not at all. Max has been sensational. My point is he could have had a refresher from the Weagles game and had a two week break over the buy. His stats over the second half of the season started to fall away which suggests he was running on empty. Its not clasping at straws to argue he should have had a match rest earlier. Would have rested him and come straight back in with no Sanfl.

What’s a pass mark for him? 15 touches 3-4 marks 3-4 tackles?
He has to actually do something now he is given the chance - I really liked him when he first came in but has seemed really soft watching his Sanfl efforts

No one expects him to get another game with a 10 touch effort do they? he isn’t a first year rookie

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Does he? Why? Players with experience and comfort at the level aren't subject to such performance demands. If you've earned the call up, and as long as your effort and intensity is there, you've earned a block of games. Your selection philosophy does align with the club though, so well done there :thumbsu::thumbsu:, it's certainly delivered us outstanding results over the couple of decades.

Murphy, a 90-gamer, wasn't dropped on the back of a 7 touch effort or 4 touch effort.

Sloane, a 250-gamer, wasn't dropped on the back of a 12 touch effort or a 14 touch effort.

Keays, a 100-gamer, wasn't dropped on the back of three successive 12 touch efforts.

Sholl, a 50-gamer, wasn't dropped on the back of a 11 touch effort or two 12 touch efforts.

Milera, a 90-gamer, wasn't dropped on the back of 11 and 13 touches in successive weeks.

But Cook, a 10-gamer, should definitely be dropped if he only gets 10 touches?

rabidcrow , this is why you and the rest of the selection apologists are card carrying jokes. Honestly, you've no idea outside of mindlessly aligning yourself with existing club strategies, despite yielding nothing but a premiership drought spanning 25 years. 'but, but, but, senior players can be crap because the coaches say they bring other attributes that really do matter'.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is knowing what needs to be done and actually being able to stomach it on a week to week basis. I struggle with this. Ultimately though it shouldn't matter if fans are cracking the shits. The club needs to be above that. They literally told everyone they have a 5 year plan and now they seem to be going hell for leather trying to secure a mid-table finish with selection policies that resemble Don Pyke circa 2019.

What's ironic is that supporters, like me, who want to prioritise development over winning games and complain about our moronic selection philosophy, are often labelled the "ones who complained about never bottoming out, but don't have the stomach for it". I'm complaining because our selection strategy hasn't changed one bit between contending phase and rebuilding phase. And the worst form of rebuild, and what I feared the most, was driving to get back into the 8 as quickly as possible rather than wear the pain required to genuinely develop a multi year contending group.

And here we effing are, one of the worst couple of midfields in the comp, 75% is Sloane, Keays and Laird (and Crab the choice backup), competing for a spot in the bottom part of the 8, totally reliant on krud experience, continuity and tiny injury list. So staring at multiple pick 10s over the next few years and never genuinely threatening.

I agree we have some work to do on the midfield .....just have to hope the midfield talent we have in the SANFL can develop; Berry, Schoenberg, Dowling, and Bond ....even getting a 3rd year Rachelle & Pedlar into the midfield next year, is enough to make a huge difference

I'll correct you though .....we HAVE done a rebuild ....not doing a rebuild
Of course we have to make 3 list changes every year ...so we'll keep adding to the list annually

Although not popular .....I continue to support the continuity & connection philosophy this year .....you need to get that real connection going, and it doesn't happen in 1 year, it happens over multiple years

So this desire by posters, to continually be swinging changes .....to have a look at new blood .....is counter-productive to the big picture

how long have you been saying that? Continuity of mediocrity is the answer is it Neil?

100+ points tomorrow would be awesome. But gut feel is that we'll be slowing the game down, moving sideways and then back and end up losing 12 goals to 5.
So you're barracking loudly for a 100 pt loss .....why do you even bother to follow the Club ....or do you just enjoy dumping on the Club at every opportunity

Yeah but McHenry and Crouch in 😥

If they played Ned in the stoppage rotation I could understand it. Hell, if they gave Murphy a few weeks in there before delisting him, I'd applaud it. But returning to Ned to play this stupid 'forward push up to just hang around the contest' role is pure stupidity and only morons would consider it strategically effective. But then we do play ROB as the precision outlet 15m on the defensive side of forward 50 stoppage when Tex rucks, so nearly anything is possible with geniuses that run our show. Can't wait for Nicks to get the arse so VB can ascend the throne.

Jeffcrowe and Mutineer

So sorry to hear your boy Murphy got dropped.

Don't worry - you can still keep your faith in Nicks selecting donkey's and support Matty Crouch this week (Or McHenry if you so choose).

I love how our club fills player's heads full of $hit. If you're failing at delivering football performance, it's ok, because if you have a games tally next to your name, guess what, you provide leadership. It's such a cop out, I fully expect dimwits like Nicks to be one arm hugging and one hand cupping balls when they affirm experienced poor performers with this rubbish.

I recall VB banging on about this in his last year when he was undeservedly recalled for his second last game. 'Daniel and I are the 2 leaders back there', mate, you were the single passenger back there, your 'leadership' was less than worthless, which is why even Pyke dropped you again 1 week later.

But according to the rainbow and lollipops brigade, single digit games played guys need come in and deliver football performance straight away. 75364337-E578-4936-BF45-A5FECED855C9.png

Looking at season 2023 from a list management side of things we have wasted so many opportunities;

as a club we got caught up in the hype of finals and put away any planning for the future to be better. we had so many chances to play Nankervis, Borlase, Cook, Hately, Newchurch, Schoenberg [consistently] to see if they were Up to it or should we delist/trade but no we stuck solid with McHenry, Sloane, Murphy, Scholl and Keays week after week.

opportunity missed.

The best bit about that is because of the lack of experience in that cohort, we just must extend Sloane and Murphy because of their invaluable experience. So we get to do this all over again next year for the exact same result.

We at most get 2 games at the MCG a year, so they are incredibly valuable for the young guys to gain experience.

Largely because of our terrible management, Soligo & Max are both going to miss this experience.

We are just incapable of planning or thinking ahead.

We have lost/drawn the last 7 games at the G and that dates back to mid-2017!

Even considering 2020, how the * does a side play just over one game a year at the G when you have Richmond, Hawthorn, Collingwood and Melbourne (plus we seem to play the majority of Carlton games there too) as their home ground.

Its bloody ridiculous.

Crouch in is ridiculous. No doubt he’ll get his 30 odd ineffectual touches but what is the point? He has no potential to improve or be traded and won’t be on AFL list in a few weeks no matter what he does.
I’m no fan of Hately but it would make much more sense to give him one more roll of the dice.

Crouch is proof of the selection strategy. Pure and simple, there is a games played/age floor and losing Laird on top of Dood drops us below it. They're petrified of anything resembling the unknown. They know exactky what Crouch brings, and even though know they've dropped him numerous times for delivering it, they find an enormous amount of comfort in just knowing. If it was another club, every poster on here would be laughing at how hopeless they and how they'll never win a flag with that philosophy. But half the posters in here have been conditioned to it and believe every other club does it too.

Last edited:
So he's competing with Murray or Butts?View attachment 1747097

Nah he plays as a KPD at SANFL level every week not as a medium defender/3rd tall. If he was to play the same role at AFL level he'd be lining up on the oppo's KPF's.

I seriously doubt he makes it at the level at his height and lack of pace but there have been several opportunities to find out

The thing to remember other clubs didn't rate either Borlase or Newchurch even good enough to use a late draft pick on, not even Port with Borlase who's father played 200 games or so for the Port magpies.

We basically took both as NGA rookies because nobody else wanted them.

I agree

There isnt much in the SANFL. Our midfield all year has been Crouch, Hately, Berry and Brown. Makes a dominant SANFL midfield but only Crouch and Berry have ever shown they can cut it at AFL. Berry has been injured so Crouch is next one up. No biggy. We have had several young player playing this year.

So you're barracking loudly for a 100 pt loss .....why do you even bother to follow the Club ....or do you just enjoy dumping on the Club at every opportunity

I want a premiership, which requires multiple years in and around the top 4. This coaching group won't deliver it, we need change and if getting hammered is the impetus, then it's hammerings I want. I'm not a happy clapper like you that just believes that everybody at our club is awesome and we can't do better. And nor am I content with winning every other week and maintaining a mathematical chance of making the 8. I'd rather finish last this year, get a gun mid, sack Nix and VB, delist Sloane, Smith and Murphy, wear another year of pain, grab another elite mid and THEN start striving for the 8.

Back