Preview Changes: R19 vs Dees, Sunday July 23rd 2:50pm ACST @ MCG

How many unforced changes will we make?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

All these extra games?
We aren’t asking for heaps.
So Borlase, you are happy for us to delist or contract him without knowing if he has got what it takes for AFL?

I think the point is he clearly isn’t a starting 18 KPD. And the reason I “know” that - if he was good enough he would have demanded selection - and when we delist him he would have multiple offers from other clubs because they would have seen something they really liked that we missed
This very rarely happens. Good players make themselves impossible not to pick

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I think the point is he clearly isn’t a starting 18 KPD. And the reason I “know” that - if he was good enough he would have demanded selection - and when we delist him he would have multiple offers from other clubs because they would have seen something they really liked that we missed
This very rarely happens. Good players make themselves impossible not to pick

Where are these posts stating he’s a starting 18 KPD?

Where are these posts stating he’s a starting 18 KPD?

None. My point is he hasn’t shown enough that he has moved up the queue to get a game. He hasn’t shown he is a starter. Your argument that we should give him a game to see if he has it. Others - and I suspect 18 lots of other professionals - are judging it isn’t worthwhile as he hasn’t got it. Yes we could give him a game but they have no confidence he is up to the task so they choose not to - and most probably all 17 other clubs will agree with that call when we delist him and they don’t pick him up

What constitutes playing the kids? Is it just giving everyone on the list a go in the AFL team to see how they go? Our team is still pretty young, and the changes this week are no net change to the squad age. Aside from Crouch, the ins are all young (23, 22, 21 and 21).

I feel like sometimes people use 'kids' to mean 'the player I want selected'. Parnell is only 21 but never seems to count as a 'kid' now that he's played ~15 games, whereas Nankervis is 20 and does.
The issue is that even at this point in the season Nicks is electing known quantities in Crouch, Sloane, McHenry over unknown quantities at risk of being delisted like Borlase, Hately and Newchurch. I’m not claiming any of them are AFL quality but I’m just as confident that none of the former three should be in our best 22 come next season. The risk v reward of fielding any of the unknown quantities vastly outweighs playing it safe with mediocre known quantities.

Bugger that. I’ve had enough down the bottom. I want wins now. Down the bottom for 3 years. Now time to start working up the ladder.
I want a decent mid out of the draft that the coaches have no choice but to play him in the middle.

Pick 5 is starting to look achievable.
Bugger that. I’ve had enough down the bottom. I want wins now. Down the bottom for 3 years. Now time to start working up the ladder.
I want wins too and to play finals this year. But if we are not to make September, another high pick won’t hurt. We need elite talent and the easiest way is to draft early. Another top pick may be what we need to build a premiership contender .. not for one year, but for many years!

The issue is that even at this point in the season Nicks is electing known quantities in Crouch, Sloane, McHenry over unknown quantities at risk of being delisted like Borlase, Hately and Newchurch. I’m not claiming any of them are AFL quality but I’m just as confident that none of the former three should be in our best 22 come next season. The risk v reward of fielding any of the unknown quantities vastly outweighs playing it safe with mediocre known quantities.
This is my point... Borlase and Hately are in danger of delisting. If the club has stamped their cards already why give them a game, just so fans get to see them. There is no point doing this.

The club gave MM 17 games. Those they rate are playing and those who need development are in the rotation.

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

This is my point... Borlase and Hately are in danger of delisting. If the club has stamped their cards already why give them a game, just so fans get to see them. There is no point doing this.

The club gave MM 17 games. Those they rate are playing and those who need development are in the rotation.

How are Crouch’s cards not stamped over Hately’s though? In the past two seasons Crouch has shown at best average performances, I’d be keeping Hately on the list over Crouch at this point.

I admire your blind belief but it is so flawed by firstly playing Crouch this week do you think he is part of our future, and secondly your whole argument suggests Hately, Nankervis, Newchurch, Borlase, Strachan are delists because they haven’t been given a run of games. Young kids develop differently and our management of them has been extremely poor by giving far too many games to Murphy, McHenry, scholl , Keays and ‘Sloane this year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What constitutes playing the kids? Is it just giving everyone on the list a go in the AFL team to see how they go? Our team is still pretty young, and the changes this week are no net change to the squad age. Aside from Crouch, the ins are all young (23, 22, 21 and 21).

I feel like sometimes people use 'kids' to mean 'the player I want selected'. Parnell is only 21 but never seems to count as a 'kid' now that he's played ~15 games, whereas Nankervis is 20 and does.
Some people would prefer to play the ones that have never played at all over the ones that have and perform better in sanfl

Also they think 18 and 19 yo take priority , unless it’s Strachan or McAdam at 27 and 28 yo

22-24 seems the no go zone 😆 , not sure how that works

It seems a few teams with young midfielders are experiencing the same problems as us .......the scenario outlined by Brad Scott mimics what we & St Kilda are facing

You could mount the same questions re rotations ......but as Brad says, it wasn't an issue two weeks ago .....but it's noticable they've hit a wall

Listen from 1 min 15 sec

I admire your blind belief but it is so flawed by firstly playing Crouch this week do you think he is part of our future, and secondly your whole argument suggests Hately, Nankervis, Newchurch, Borlase, Strachan are delists because they haven’t been given a run of games. Young kids develop differently and our management of them has been extremely poor by giving far too many games to Murphy, McHenry, scholl , Keays and ‘Sloane this year
I think Hately is in the gun for a delist for sure. Borlase maybe.

I know development isn't linear and isn't that the whole argument? Nankervis may not be ready. And he's not going to get a game just because some punter posters on BF want to see a player at AFL level.

My entire point is that those they rate are playing. A bunch of people are suggesting we are averse to playing kids. But that's a load of horse manure because if it were true, MM wouldn't have 17 games. And 3 kids would not be ins this week. We have been regularly playing 8 or 9 sub 50 gamers.

It's always " Out: In:" and invariably it never happens and people take it personally and call for coaches to be sacked.

I don't think Parnell is quite AFL ready, but my gauge is he'll soon go past Sholl and be the boards new favourote whipping boy. I'm not sure Cook is ready, but he's had games so clearly the coaches see potential. The others everyone else brings up are either on the way out, not quite ready or break glass. Really want to see Berry get back in the 22 as well.

The selectors also have to put the best team they can on the ground. Because if there is a pattern of not doing this we will get pinged for tanking faster than McClure can type "$500k fine and 2 draft picks"

Clearly Strachan is only ever getting a game if ROB is injured. We really are only going to drop ROB if we trade in a better ruck. But its been interesting that ROBs ruck work has been good when pur midfield play well..... Maybe its not his ruck work, but our mids that get beaten.

So players we've decided to delist at season's end shouldn't be given matches?

That would be quite a shift in policy for us

Clearly Strachan is only ever getting a game if ROB is injured. We really are only going to drop ROB if we trade in a better ruck. But its been interesting that ROBs ruck work has been good when pur midfield play well..... Maybe its not his ruck work, but our mids that get beaten.
How is that selection integrity?
What’s in it for the sanfl players to strive for?
In the last couple of years we’ve had Strachan winning the sanfl Bnf and Rob stinking it up for stretches.
And if we don’t rate them what in the hell os list management doing not bringing in someone else.

Last edited:
Back