Preview Changes: R19 vs The Port Western Hawkdog Power

Remove this Banner Ad

Gtowncrow

Cheated out of Finals
Jul 6, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
Defenders to pressure up forward doesn’t work unless they’re sitting on an opposition player. If you don’t have good forward craft and your focus isn’t on winning the ball then you’re not going to be where the contest is and be in a position to provide meaningful defensive pressure.
The contest will be near Tex. Guaranteed! No need to go searching anywhere else.
Hamill wouldn't be required to win the ball necessarily as we have forwards who should do that. His role is to try and retain the ball in our attack for longer than it usually stays there for. At least long enough for our mids to arrive and we can organise a stoppage. There must be a place for a defensive forward in a team that concedes as many end to end highlights for the opposition.

Jarman3

Premiership Player
Oct 22, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Mackay's been consistent, he's incredibly consistent. But that bar is so low it doesn't mean much at all.

He obviously meets all the KPIs required, which means the issue are the what's being asked of him rather than him.

It's just really strange that it's only Rd 19 of what is probably his final season that he's now on the outer.

Mackay's final season?

Oh, my dear, sweet, innocent child... :p

Aug 21, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
Mackay isn't in the side for what he brings on the field. His output has been terrible for the past 4 years, and he has put in some really poor games and never been dropped. He has a bad record at the B&F.

No, Mackay is in the side for what he brings off field. He sets the standard on the training track, he knows the gameplan, he is a great bloke, he has the experience of what it's like to be an AFL player for over 200 games.

We have a very young side. We want all those off field components in our players. We want "experience" to complement our youth.

However, we've just been smashed two weeks in a row.

I hope what we've realized - and I believe this explains why Mackay has been dropped now despite no change in form - is that playing all our experience and rewarding these off field criteria doesn't necessarily improve us on game day. I think we thought that getting all these guys back (Walker, Murphy, Lynch, Crouch soon) in addition to all the other experience (Kelly, Mackay, Smith, Seedsman, etc.) would see us improve on the field.

"We just needed Walker back. We just needed a fit Lynch. We just needed Murphy back. We just need all our experience back and the improvement will come"

It hasn't, in fact we've been worse now with the most experience we've played in weeks than at the start of the season. So this assumption that experience is the answer can no longer be used as a justification to play off-field-only players like Mackay ahead of fit, acceptable form players like Sholl who are much younger

Experience is handy in a rebuild, but there's one thing all those senior players don't have that the kids do - something to prove.

Lynch, Tex, Seed, Laird, Sloane.. all these guys, they've done the hard yards, they've had long and good careers. Played in finals, a grand final. They are in the second half of their career. Generally acclaimed as very good footballers.

Not saying they're phoning it in but Sholl, Schoenberg, Berry all these guys are going to give that little extra because they've yet to get these accolades and they desperately want to. And that's why we need to heavily invest in these guys as a rule rather than an exception.

chrisso crow

All Australian
Jul 27, 2020
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
NA Roosters
Relax people

RT clearly being rested, no point killing him when we’re not making finals

So Berg stays as a marking forward, I’m sure they’re hoping he rediscovers his late 2020 form but otherwise playing for his future

Frampton, Nicks has said he’s got a few weeks to show what he’s got in a new position down back after a decent SANFL game there. Yes, only one but with players out it’s worth a look. Clearly playing for his future

Rowe out, he needs a refresh, get involved more, another pre-season to see if he can move up a level

Mad Dog…what can we say, once in a while they drop him. Based on past experiences it won’t be for long, but small mercies people, small mercies…

Final 6 weeks of the year to see how much people want a spot next year and see what they can do

For a few, the last train is leaving the station

Bravo. Finally someone gets it. I think too many people on here have trouble looking at the big picture.

Jinglebells32

All Australian
Jul 2, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Woodville West Torrens, Flinders Pk
Frampton to replace Murray and they're giving Berg another week and Thilthorpe an extra week off. That isn't beyond logic, especially considering Thilthorpe's year and arrival with a groin complaint that hampered preseason somewhat. What I'd definitely argue as stupid, but not a selection issue, is when Billy returned about 3 weeks ago, why did we continue to 2nd ruck Thilthorpe.

In any case, we haven't rushed Crouch back, we've dropped Mackay, Berry stays even though he's consigned to a forward role and Schoey gets to continue to get midfield minutes. I'm very happy with this week's selection. Probably the best selection result possible.
Thilthorpe for Himmelberg was the only improvement for me if he's fit.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
So Mackay is dropped, which is great. But what was it about his performance last week that caused his omission? He's been identically mediocre for the past two months (actually 6yrs)

It was either him, Hamill, McPherson or Sholl and they've finally made the right call. Let's hope it's not a one game dropping and he's not rushed back replacing whoever has the lesser performance out of Hamill, McPherson and Sholl this week. If Sloane goes forward to replace Rowe and spend some time in the stoppages then this week will be complete.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
I recall a couple of years back when DMac got dropped, supposedly because of form, then brought back in the week after. Despite the fact that our SANFL team had the bye that week, so he hadn't actually had a game there to show any improvement in his form.

Must have trained the goddamn house down that week.

It's happened twice. Once following a game at the Gabba when Gallucci debuted and Mackay was the travelling emergency and decision was reversed week after. And then again after a game at the Cattery where he travelled again and I think Seed may have copped it in the neck the following week to get the little master back in having not played.

Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
What if, now just stay with me here, what if...Frampton comes in, has 25 disposals and develops in to a very solid CHB?
Would be pretty bloody handy wouldn't it?
Would it be the greatest career turn around ever? Complete delist pile, throw a ridiculous last chance to him and Bang it works??

Meanwhile it would also give the club a chance to try both McAsey and Murray as forwards, which would be great given both played the vast majority of their junior careers as forwards.

Chances it happens. Not great.
But....

Apsaalooke

Premiership Player
Sep 23, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Ozark Mountain Daredevils
What if, now just stay with me here, what if...Frampton comes in, has 25 disposals and develops in to a very solid CHB?
Would it be the greatest career turn around ever? Complete delist pile, throw a ridiculous last chance to him and Bang it works??

Meanwhile it would also give the club a chance to try both McAsey and Murray as forwards, which would be great given both played the vast majority of their junior careers as forwards.

But....

So Frampton plays like crap when we were trying to win, and could well ruin our chance to get Horne by playing well when we're trying to lose.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

dude316

Club Legend
Apr 26, 2009
The Armada Room
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
C618CABB-DA4B-45EF-9E8F-9DDD4DD27249.jpeg
Frampton is just a tall Mackay

Faaarrk

Maybe later
Jul 27, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide

But....

Bock was similar, useless as a forward but brilliant back.
I don't frampton back, mentioned he should be given a run there about 6 weeks ago. He actually had some speed, tackles and doesn't give up. He just can't mark for s**t. His arms are too tense. As long g as he spoils for our midfield to cle...yeah ok I see the weak link now :(

Brett Cummings

Premiership Player
Sep 13, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
matthew nicks: "we understand the frustration"

im not frustrated at all mate. keep losing please.

Crowbots are dead

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
I don't frampton back, mentioned he should be given a run there about 6 weeks ago. He actually had some speed, tackles and doesn't give up. He just can't mark for sh*t. His arms are too tense. As long g as he spoils for our midfield to cle...yeah ok I see the weak link now :(
Bock was still massively >>> than frampton up forward. He still managed to kick goals . He kicked 29 in 2007. Frampton is a way worse footballer imo

thebirdman 24

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
I don't frampton back, mentioned he should be given a run there about 6 weeks ago. He actually had some speed, tackles and doesn't give up. He just can't mark for sh*t. His arms are too tense. As long g as he spoils for our midfield to cle...yeah ok I see the weak link now :(
I've seen give up in many contests and not apply any pressure up forward. I cant see the experiment succeeding. Bock was a fairly solid but underwhelming forward. Frampton is a dead set spud up forward.

Nicks is going all out on Frampton since he brought him across.

I hope I'm wrong and Nicks is onto something but I doubt it.

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jack is Back

Premiership Player
Apr 17, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
I am no fan of Billy but I wandered down to the freezing, windy Roosterdome last Saturday and I can not recall a better performance by a Crows defender in the SANFL. Contrary to the story in Troll Land that he wandered around picking up the easy possessions like an unregistered dog, he was more like one man trying to stop a Rooster Tsunami.

The other 13 AFL listed players?
Defenders
Worrell; did some nice things but makes crucial mistakes
Borlase; Not ready, may never be ready
Davis; Seen more intensity in a two day old kitten
Parnell; sadly copped a shoulder injury
Forwards
McAsey; Good attack on the ball, a couple of good moments
McAdam; Made Davis look like a bull terrier
Gollant; Struggled to stay upright in the wind.
Newchurch; refer to Borlase
Midfield
Strachan; Another strong performance
Cook; had a few nice touches but needs to do more.
Our inside mids were destroyed by Andrew Moore and Campbell Coombe. Mrouch was very underdone, played restricted minutes but had 8 clearances and plenty of the ball. Hately, Pedlar and O’ Connor combined for a total of 7 clearances and zero influence on the game.

So….. I can’t argue with the usual Trolls, lets replace Sloane, Keays and Laird with Pedlar, Hately and O’ Connor, #tankingforHorne

Aug 17, 2009
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
See Oconnor listed on our emergency list .
Just see him as one of few clear players to delist with many with contracts, and apart from being a tall mid who what I have seen lacking any real AFL skills .
Struggle to see what Nicks etc seeing and if retain how they will make room for draftees etc.
Who would have thought that Hately would be so average so far.

bigman

Premiership Player
Mar 29, 2004
All Parts
AFL Club
Adelaide
We're up against the Melbourne vs Bulldogs game on Saturday night. Surprised the broadcasters allowed two blockbusters head to head
I am no fan of Billy but I wandered down to the freezing, windy Roosterdome last Saturday and I can not recall a better performance by a Crows defender in the SANFL. Contrary to the story in Troll Land that he wandered around picking up the easy possessions like an unregistered dog, he was more like one man trying to stop a Rooster Tsunami.

The other 13 AFL listed players?
Defenders
Worrell; did some nice things but makes crucial mistakes
Borlase; Not ready, may never be ready
Davis; Seen more intensity in a two day old kitten
Parnell; sadly copped a shoulder injury
Forwards
McAsey; Good attack on the ball, a couple of good moments
McAdam; Made Davis look like a bull terrier
Gollant; Struggled to stay upright in the wind.
Newchurch; refer to Borlase
Midfield
Strachan; Another strong performance
Cook; had a few nice touches but needs to do more.
Our inside mids were destroyed by Andrew Moore and Campbell Coombe. Mrouch was very underdone, played restricted minutes but had 8 clearances and plenty of the ball. Hately, Pedlar and O’ Connor combined for a total of 7 clearances and zero influence on the game.

So….. I can’t argue with the usual Trolls, lets replace Sloane, Keays and Laird with Pedlar, Hately and O’ Connor, #tankingforHorne
i cannot argue with much of what you said Jack. I was there too

See Oconnor listed on our emergency list .
Just see him as one of few clear players to delist with many with contracts, and apart from being a tall mid who what I have seen lacking any real AFL skills .
Struggle to see what Nicks etc seeing and if retain how they will make room for draftees etc.
Who would have thought that Hately would be so average so far.

Nicks in his press conference said that Hately is still struggling with a groin injury.

Wonder if it will turn into a surgery thing like Seedsman and Crouch x2 in recent years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back