Preview Changes: R2 2021 vs Sydney

Brown is a tricky one to replace.

Agree DMac isn't the best option but we really are light on for small defensive types. Do we move Laird back ?? Unlikely and he's not really a lockdown type either. Hamill is probably the closest thing to it but even he would require a role change and I'd loathe to do that to him. Doedee is also an option.

The number one question for replacing Luke Brown against Sydney should be this:

Who is best placed to stop Tom Papley? Or Errol Gulden?

The answer is not David Mackay because he is not a defensive player

What's most concerning is that we actually only have one injury to a small defender. It looks like we have lots of defenders out injured, but most of them are taller types. Talia, Hinge and Kelly are all your sort of 190cm+ types and normally I don't think anyone would suggest (say) Kelly come in for Brown.

Is our squad so dire that the genuine first-call backup to Luke Brown when injured is David Mackay? Who else are we developing in that position?

If both Brown and McPherson were injured, who is coming into the side?

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
The number one question for replacing Luke Brown against Sydney should be this:

Who is best placed to stop Tom Papley? Or Errol Gulden?

The answer is not David Mackay because he is not a defensive player
Wholeheartedly agree.

Which is why I think Doedee will shift onto Papley, Hamill to Gulden. Not ideal.

I can't see anyone not in the side already who has Browns skillset, even if he's slowing down.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
What's most concerning is that we actually only have one injury to a small defender. It looks like we have lots of defenders out injured, but most of them are taller types. Talia, Hinge and Kelly are all your sort of 190cm+ types and normally I don't think anyone would suggest (say) Kelly come in for Brown.

Is our squad so dire that the genuine first-call backup to Luke Brown when injured is David Mackay? Who else are we developing in that position?

This is what I'm saying.

We're in a position where we've got double ups for everyone else, obviously not the same quality of course

With Brown we have no one.

Wholeheartedly agree.

Which is why I think Doedee will shift onto Papley, Hamill to Gulden. Not ideal.

I can't see anyone not in the side already who has Browns skillset, even if he's slowing down.

Bingo.

And with those changes made, we would then have the flexibility to pick any number of 7th defender types

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
Wholeheartedly agree.

Murphy could play back.

Could also have McPherson play closer to goal.

I think this is what will happen.

McPherson closer to goal (on Papley I guess) and DMac push up to HB.

Not ideal.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Wholeheartedly agree.

Doedee needs to play on Heeney, who always towels us up.

Hamill or McPherson to Papley.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
Wholeheartedly agree.

Doedee has to get Heeney when he's forward, he's the Swans proven ace, great overhead, impactful and the best match up we have is Doedee.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Doedee has to get Heeney when he's forward, he's the Swans proven ace and great overhead and the best match up we have is Doedee.
Murray ??

Agree it's probably Doedee.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Murphy could play back.

Could also have McPherson play closer to goal.

I think this is what will happen.

McPherson closer to goal (on Papley I guess) and DMac push up to HB.

Not ideal.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Murphy could, but the forwardline worked so well last week you wouldn't wanna change it.

Carmo

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 15, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Suggests Murray is in the team. Possibly Ben Davis as well.

Who would be your choice to come in and replace Brown's in the small defender role? Worrell isn't exactly a like for like replacement. His chance was to come in and replace Kelly, but they have gone with Murray for that role. Jones could have been an option but I don't think he has played too much in the backlines? Davis would have been a good option but he is not ready yet. We are pretty bare in the small defender position atm.

My choice is already in the team. McPherson. Seemingly it's his natural progression as a footballer to end up as our back pocket.

I'd then use Worrell to replace McPherson. It's not ideal but Worrell has enough dare with how he moves the ball that it could be an interesting piece. It also gives us the flexibility to use Doedee in a more lockdown role.

I don't think there is a situation that we could find ourselves where I'd call selecting Mackay an acceptable move, outside of the medical sub. Outside of avoiding going into a match with only 21 players.

Last edited:
Doedee needs to play on Heeney, who always towels us up.

Hamill or McPherson to Papley.
I would prefer Hamill as has the extra pace & better suited to follow Papley up ground.

McPherson could take Heeney too... freeing up Doedee.

Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Glenelg, tigers

maybe if we hadve ****ed mookay off two seasons ago and told him to retire we’d have already filled that void in the list with a like for like ”brown“ type player for if and when Brown does get injured..

but no, this club, and some of its supporters still cling to mookay as if he’s some sort of veteran club champion that has to be kept on the list...

not one other AFL club in the comp would still have mookay clogging up their list.

how many young players have we not drafted over the last three years just to keep mookay?.. how many of our young players in the past four seasons have we shuffled around and played out of their normal position, and stunted their development, just so we could squeeze mookay into the side.

at the end of last year when mookay was re-signed YET AGAIN, his little fan club on here swore that to us all that he’d play nothing but SANFL and scoffed at anyone that dared to suggest he’d play AFL games let alone early in the season... yet here we are at round 2 and the mookay is back.

you watch.. he’ll get his 17 average touches, have his usual below average game and hold his spot in the side.

you can scoff at that as much as you like Vader.. and you can call me a mookay “hater” as much as you like.. but the last three years of team selection backs me up..

mookay represents everything that has been wrong with this club in the past 3-4 years, its conservatism and its inability to move on from its 2017 failure by clinging to its veterans from that year and continuing to play them instead of the promising youngsters no matter how poorly out of form or underdone they are...

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Super dissapointing that when rebuilding we can't manage to select Davis or Jones in a running role instead of Mackay. Wtf crows.
Davis has been injured and Jones is badly out of touch.

Plenty of guys who deserve a crack first who aren't David Mackay.

Oct 1, 2004
The Bay
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide
maybe if we hadve f’ed mookay off two seasons ago and told him to retire we’d have already filled that void in the list with a like for like ”brown“ type player for if and when Brown does get injured..

but no, this club, and some of its supporters still cling to mookay as if he’s some sort of veteran club champion that has to be kept on the list...

not one other AFL club in the comp would still have mookay clogging up their list.

how many young players have we not drafted over the last three years just to keep mookay?.. how many of our young players in the past four seasons have we shuffled around and played out of their normal position, and stunted their development, just so we could squeeze mookay into the side.

at the end of last year when mookay was re-signed YET AGAIN, his little fan club on here swore that to us all that he’d play nothing but SANFL and scoffed at anyone that dared to suggest he’d play AFL games let alone early in the season... yet here we are at round 2 and the mookay is back.

you watch.. he’ll get his 17 average touches, have his usual below average game and hold his spot in the side.

you can scoff at that as much as you like Vader.. and you can call me a mookay “hater” as much as you like.. but the last three years of team selection backs me up..

mookay represents everything that has been wrong with this club in the past 3-4 years, its conservatism and its inability to move on from its 2017 failure by clinging to its veterans from that year and continuing to play them instead of the promising youngsters no matter how poorly out of form or underdone they are...

Further to this, if Hartigan stayed, Butts 100% doesn’t play. Digest that

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Back