Preview Changes: R2 vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Unfortunately the club is in a position where we need to choose between several very average footballers at selection time. I guess all clubs are in that position to some extent or another. With a diluted talent pool and salary cap, even premiership sides contain a couple of average players these days.
Hopefully we see guys like Dowling, Taylor and Edwards push some of the average guys out of the side this year.

Obviously Curtin too, but he should come in next week hopefully.

You (and I and just about everyone in here) want Sholl out.

Problem: Nicks LOVES Sholl.

Nicks will not be dropping Sholl because:
--- selecting him for the first game says Nicks thinks he's best-22 (for the role, whatever-that-is :drunk: )
and
--- dropping him after one game will be an admission that Nicks was wrong,
and
--- Nicks will make all kinds of excuses for his re-selection ( wet conditions, slippery ball etc ad nauseam)
and
--- Nicks LOVES Sholl :poov1:.

Nailed it.

Murphy's hustle is elite.
car wash GIF

What I don't understand is that Sholl performed exactly as everyone would expect and gets dropped. What did the selectors expect? Surely they can't be that slow on the uptake.
I like the changes but what really annoys me is that we didn’t try anyone else on the wings throughout the trial games when the coaches obviously don’t really rate our incumbents. It feels like we treat the wing as the place to put our 18th to 22nd range players, which seems stupid when you look at say Isaak Smith in the GF a couple of years ago. It’s so important a position to link with the forwards and bring them into the game.

Wether or not Scholl is best 22 is irrelelevent really as neither he nor Jones are premiership outside mids and we need to put games into Hinge, Nank, Soligo or maybe Max or Curtin there to really get a complete team. The pre season just feels wasted in this regard.

Broken record.

McHenry has shown he has been one of our better subs.

Name me a player who has consistently been better as a sub.
Soligo without even thinking and think how versatile Nankervis would be as sub .
Apart from the fact he has more talent in his big toe than Ned.
Plus he can actually compete in the air and body strength and size to actually tackle a moving player.
I could go on about why NanKervis would be much better and that's without listing another 10 players rather see as sub.

As I stated prior to selections, the only change to the 23 that I preferred was Nankervis for McHenry.

The good news is that we played Nankervis on the wing in the Twos last week and I believe this is his best spot in the team (we have better options for the medium sized defender role).

Hopefully Curtin also plays a blinder against WWT this afternoon and is showcased in the West next week.

I agree with other posters that we need to start trying the best of the Kids (Nankervis, Curtin, Taylor, Dowling, Bond, Edwards, Ryan) when spots inevitably arise due to injury rather than recycling players who might still be young but have not taken their opportunities when they have arose.

Interesting stat I saw recently, that we 2-8 in our last 10 games without Tex

We better hope he’s fit and still has some more wishes left at the fountain of youth

Ok, I have been reliably informed that Tex’s abscence was not due to a back spasm but due to the unexpected sudden death of a family member.

I doubt Laird will go back when in interviews with Kymbo and Rooch he's mentioned several times he may have squirts forward.
I have no issue with Laird having a go forward to see how he goes. And he may do well, i've mentioned before him winning ground balls and tackling up forward could certainly add some value.

But I've seen with my eyes him playing at an AA level as a small defender. So its not a matter of whether there is value of him going back, its a matter of how much value to the side overall.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tex better have a chat with Eric Bana when we play the Saints because his initation of a player with back spasms in that Ch 7 footage would put him in contention for an Oscar. life after football? Was moving like he had an egg up his ginger.
Could it just be both? Had a bad back and then the father in law passed away. Seems reasonable.

As I stated prior to selections, the only change to the 23 that I preferred was Nankervis for McHenry.

The good news is that we played Nankervis on the wing in the Twos last week and I believe this is his best spot in the team (we have better options for the medium sized defender role).

Hopefully Curtin also plays a blinder against WWT this afternoon and is showcased in the West next week.

I agree with other posters that we need to start trying the best of the Kids (Nankervis, Curtin, Taylor, Dowling, Bond, Edwards, Ryan) when spots inevitably arise due to injury rather than recycling players who might still be young but have not taken their opportunities when they have arose.

Where is the WWT trial game being played?

On SM-S928B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ok, I have been reliably informed that Tex’s abscence was not due to a back spasm but due to the unexpected sudden death of a family member.
Am I remembering wrong or wasn't his fitness in question the whole week? Basically right up until they flew out.

Seems more like a case of both happening at the same time rather than some cover up.

Did McHenry change his name to Edward?
He was known as Ned McHenry last year.
It’s not Edward McHenry on afl app, was Ned his nickname?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back