Preview Changes R20 v Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

That would be worst case scenario if it happened and you’d probably just have to concede the ruck for the rest of the game, even with Vardy playing. Wouldn’t really matter who rucked out the game because Scott going down would be the end of our season. Can’t go picking players “just in case” an unlikely scenario happens, pick the best team to win. Vardy isn’t a quality ruck so we aren’t gaining an advantage by having two in..
Exactly, that's how you end up with Mitch Brown playing forward pocket in an elimination final

It's the 3 tall defenders that seems ridiculous to me. We have one of (if not the best) defensive units in the AFL with our usual set up. Playing Gov, Barass and Schoey is pointless. The is why we end up stupid in game tactics like playing Barass and Vardy as our tall forwards... and we also lose drive coming off half back.

For those who want to compare to the Richmond benchmark it's essentially the same as their setup. Star / interceptor who plays on the 2nd best KF (Gov / Rance), Lockdown KB (Barass or Schoey / Ashbury), Lockdown who can play tall or small (Shep / Grimes) Interceptor / distributor (Hurn / Vlastuin) and small distributor (Jetta / Short). I doubt Damien Hardwick would be decide to replace Vlastuin or Short with some average KB if they were injured.

Last edited:

Our structure is standard.

2 key backs
2 key forwards
A forward/ruck

If Kennedy was playing FF instead of Barrass then nobody would be commenting on our height, despite it being exactly the same.

Yeah, I'd have preferred if they tried Mellen or Brander in that role rather than Barrass (or McGovern if he's the one to go forward again) but structurally I think it's similar to what we've done most of the year. Possibly slightly smaller than usual since Waterman's been dropped, during our 10-win streak we had him, Darling, Kennedy and a resting Lycett in the forward line.

It's the 3 tall defenders that seems ridiculous to me. We have one of (if not the best) defensive units in the AFL with our usual set up. Playing Gov, Barass and Schoey is pointless. The is why we end up stupid in game tactics like playing Barass and Vardy as our tall forwards... and we also lose drive coming off half back.

For those who want to compare to the Richmond benchmark it's essentially the same as their setup. Star / interceptor who plays on the 2nd best KF (Gov / Rance), Lockdown KB (Barass or Schoey / Ashbury), Lockdown who can play tall or small (Shep / Grimes) Interceptor / distributor (Hurn / Vlastuin) and small distributor (Jetta / Short). I doubt Damien Hardwick would be decide to replace Vlastuin or Short with some average KB if they were injured.

Schofield plays small

What it feels like

Is the selection committee is picking our best 22 okayers then putting them in spots ....hmmmmm

2 key backs
2 key forwards
A forward/ruck

If Kennedy was playing FF instead of Barrass then nobody would be commenting on our height, despite it being exactly the same.

Are we sure Barrass is playing forward? To me the team reads

3 Tall Defenders
1 Ruck
1 Key Forward
1 Forward / Ruck

Are we sure Barrass is playing forward? To me the team reads

3 Tall Defenders
1 Ruck
1 Key Forward
1 Forward / Ruck
With jetta coming in you can almost guarantee one of gov or barrass will be playing FF.

Sheppard Schofield Hurn
Duggan Gov/Barrass Jetta
Gaff Redden Masten
Cripps Darling Lecras
Rioli Gov/Barrass Ryan

Cole Hutchings Venables Vardy

It’s been our pretty standard structure this year, probably slightly smaller without waterman now.

Not opposed to trying ah chee over vardy but also dont think we are as ridicuously tall as people are saying if vardy stays in

2 key backs
2 key forwards
A forward/ruck

I think it has to be different without Nic. We’ve looked flat in both games since he went down and actually looked pretty solid in the one he didn’t finish. Nic was playing two positions at once and without him we are effectively a mid rotation down.

We need to fill Nics “midfield” spot and pick someone to ruck from the best 22, not try to squeeze Vardy in because he’s our next best ruckman. If you look at second ruckmen from other teams they would get a game regardless of their ability to ruck. Mason Cox, Tom MacDonald, Josh Jenkins, Jon Patton etc. Don’t think the same can be said of Vardy.

Really comes down to how much they trust Lycett to hold up but I wouldn’t mind just trying it out once. Should’ve done it last week as we were up against it playing in Tas anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All those ragging on Vardy , he has to be there given Lycetts past injury history. If Lycett was to break down which let's be honest has happened a lot in the past few seasons , who would ruck in they team if Vardy wasn't there.

Agree why risk Lycett now with finals around the corner ..
Vardy needs games as well to build some form as he has missed a lot of footy this year ..

Keep the 2 Rucks tactic going I say .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I liked Barrass forward, took some good marks and lead strong, seemed to have good timing.

Vardy I'm not sold on, lacks any sort of mobility to apply defensive pressure and is perhaps surplus to needs. Very handy back up to have though and is a capable AFL player, just probably not for this set up.

Hope he proves me wrong.

Surely vardy is a late out with the wind and rain

Sure he can hold an end up as a second ruck, but he doesn’t give us impetus.

And he’s a liability elsewhere

I’d rather McInnes who at least offers strong leads and some defensive pressure

Or petch for some dash

TB can ruck 15%

Surely vardy is a late out with the wind and rain

Sure he can hold an end up as a second ruck, but he doesn’t give us impetus.

And he’s a liability elsewhere

I’d rather McInnes who at least offers strong leads and some defensive pressure

Or petch for some dash

TB can ruck 15%
Didn't Vardy go alright last year - just wondering as there appears to be a lot of negativity regarding him on here?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back