• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Ok, i'm all on the "bash the decision makers" bandwagon, but that's just ridiculous.
No it's not. Look at their potential on their list. Their list has more upside from their youth was the point. They are littered with top 10 draft picks and likely have another 3 coming this year. Whether they stay is another story but its indisputable that they will have more top end young talent on their list than us next year. I was talking potential upside. At least they also got games into kids this year so they are already ahead of us in developing their future.

Last edited:

Slippery Pete

Samcro24 alias account
Jul 19, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
Anyone else notice that our football department, apart from maybe Pyke, were all unable to accept that their own playing careers were done?

Smart - dropped unceremoniously mid-season. Cracked the s**ts and retired.
Hart - delisted by Craig. Cracked the s**ts and ended up playing a year in the SANFL.
Camporeale - went to another club and played another couple of seasons while well past his best.
Clarke - went to another club and played another season while well past his best.
Ricciuto - kept putting his hand up to play at the expense of the team. Cost us a final.
Mattner - went on one season too long.
Burton - went on one season too long. Was dropped unceremoniously (despite Craig calling his performances "solid") and couldn't get a kick in the SANFL so retired.
Reilly - was already well and truly cooked by the time his unfortunate incident happened.

Underrated post. Crikey, that’s some ugly reading there.

How come McLeod’s never had a gig in the decade he’s been retired? He shadowed Bassett all through that dominant Norwood reign. He’s one of those rare midas touch people in football, success seems to follow him.

What gives?

Slippery Pete

Samcro24 alias account
Jul 19, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
Great work Scorpus. How Atkins and Mackay have only been dropped ONCE in that time is an indictment on the club 🤯

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

One of the things that would make for interesting reading is looking at the individual performances in the 15,16 and 17 finals campaigns.

You’ll find patterns. Ugly patterns. Patterns the club ignored that came back to life on GF day, 2017.

Finals football is an incredibly reliable gauge, it very rarely tells you fibs about a player’s standing in the game.

How come McLeod’s never had a gig in the decade he’s been retired? He shadowed Bassett all through that dominant Norwood reign. He’s one of those rare midas touch people in football, success seems to follow him.

What gives?

He is a coach for our women's team. Our women's team are highly successful. Coincidence? Of course not

Anyone else notice that our football department, apart from maybe Pyke, were all unable to accept that their own playing careers were done?

Smart - dropped unceremoniously mid-season. Cracked the s**ts and retired.
Hart - delisted by Craig. Cracked the s**ts and ended up playing a year in the SANFL.
Camporeale - went to another club and played another couple of seasons while well past his best.
Clarke - went to another club and played another season while well past his best.
Ricciuto - kept putting his hand up to play at the expense of the team. Cost us a final.
Mattner - went on one season too long.
Burton - went on one season too long. Was dropped unceremoniously (despite Craig calling his performances "solid") and couldn't get a kick in the SANFL so retired.
Reilly - was already well and truly cooked by the time his unfortunate incident happened.

You undersell Hart.

He actually went in the AFL draft, and articles started appearing in the tiser about how he'd be happy to play for Port.

One of the things that would make for interesting reading is looking at the individual performances in the 15,16 and 17 finals campaigns.

You’ll find patterns. Ugly patterns. Patterns the club ignored that came back to life on GF day, 2017.

Finals football is an incredibly reliable gauge, it very rarely tells you fibs about a player’s standing in the game.

It's some very poor reading.

2015 EF:
- Atkins subbed off after 7 touches
- Jenkins goalless
- Mackay subbed on, no impact

2015 SF:
- Atkins dropped
- Cameron no impact
- Henderson no impact
- Walker 1 goal 3
- Knight 13 touches and no goals
- Mackay subbed off after 9 touches
- Smith 13 touches
- Douglas 16 touches, no impact
- Jenkins 4 goals, three after the game was lost
- Dangerfield dominant, M. Crouch and Sloane played well

2016 EF:
- Destroyed a s**t team

2016 SF:
- Douglas 17 touches and 3 behinds (no goals)
- Mackay 19 touches, no impact
- Smith 16 touches
- Jenkins no impact
- Atkins no impact
- Thompson played well past his prime, 20 touches
- Crouch brothers and Sloane played well

2017 QF:
- Atkins 16 touches
- Jenkins 1 goal
- Mackay 19 of his usual mediocre touches
- Walker 1 goal 3

2017 PF:
- Mackay 18 mediocre touches
- Otten no impact
- Knight 14 touches
- Douglas 19 touches and a behind
- Atkins 22 touches, 1 contested
- Walker 2 goals (after the game was won)

2017 GF:
- Atkins no impact
- Mackay no impact
- Douglas no impact
- Jenkins no impact
- Knight no impact
- Otten no impact
- Walker no impact

No pattern there at all. None. Couldn't have seen that coming.

Morning_Fog

Premiership Player
Jun 24, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide

What gives?

I don’t think he wants to commit the required amount of time needed.

I think his passion these days is his COE with his Indigenous Education Program.

Slippery Pete

Samcro24 alias account
Jul 19, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
It's some very poor reading.

2015 EF:
- Atkins subbed off after 7 touches
- Jenkins goalless
- Mackay subbed on, no impact

2015 SF:
- Atkins dropped
- Cameron no impact
- Henderson no impact
- Walker 1 goal 3
- Knight 13 touches and no goals
- Mackay subbed off after 9 touches
- Smith 13 touches
- Douglas 16 touches, no impact
- Jenkins 4 goals, three after the game was lost
- Dangerfield dominant, M. Crouch and Sloane played well

2016 EF:
- Destroyed a s**t team

2016 SF:
- Douglas 17 touches and 3 behinds (no goals)
- Mackay 19 touches, no impact
- Smith 16 touches
- Jenkins no impact
- Atkins no impact
- Thompson played well past his prime, 20 touches

2017 QF:
- Atkins 16 touches
- Jenkins 1 goal
- Mackay 19 of his usual mediocre touches
- Walker 1 goal 3

2017 PF:
- Mackay 18 mediocre touches
- Otten no impact
- Knight 14 touches
- Douglas 19 touches and a behind
- Atkins 22 touches, 1 contested
- Walker 2 goals (after the game was won)

2017 GF:
- Atkins no impact
- Mackay no impact
- Douglas no impact
- Jenkins no impact
- Knight no impact
- Otten no impact
- Walker no impact

No pattern there at all. None. Couldn't have seen that coming.

Tex has won a couple of finals off his own boot so you give him a pass, but yes.... patterns galore there with a few of the others.

Tex has won a couple of finals off his own boot so you give him a pass, but yes.... patterns galore there with a few of the others.

Walker's finals record is unfortunately poor during the 15-17 period with the exception of the 15 EF (and perhaps the 16 EF but who cares).

He was very influential in finals before that though

'Kids to the slaughter' give me a break. It is a game of footy ffs, and they are adults who have been playing footy for years, they can probably handle being flogged. Talk about helicopter supporting.

One of the most pathetic things I have read on this forum. Do you have no shame in how you twist and turn to defend the club? Here you try to turn the club's moronic selection and list management decisions into a compliment because they are protecting the 'kids'.
OR

I could just be posting possible scenarios? Jesus, you people can’t be that thick can you? You miss every single one of my posts where I criticise the club but jump on me relentlessly if it even remotely looks like I’m supporting them. Let me reiterate here. When I post, I do lots of “what if” situations? What if this is why they do this? NOWHERE in that post have I supported the clubs decision. NOWHERE.

Agreed. But you don’t want to send kids to the slaughter really, do you? Next two weeks play the kids. This week, not so much.
So there is never a good time to play the kids with that club line of thought.

How are they meant to get AFL experience playing in the SANFL...

boffo

Club Legend
Aug 7, 2006
AFL Club
Adelaide
Being a masochist, I watched the St Kilda replay....and came away thinking our selection this week even more mystifying.

Dropping Rob is not totally wrong, he was beaten last week (but of course kept giving 100%) although I expect Sauce to get jumped all over on Sunday and not do any better than ROB would have.

Against St Kilda :

Douglas was ineffetive.
Atkins was ineffectual.
Knight was ineffective.
Gibbs was disappointing. He used to have two elite attributes: finding the ball and the quality of his disposal. He still finds the ball, although mainly receiving rather than getting contested possessions, but his disposal is ordinary. He missed numerous targets, plus lots of blind slamming it on the boot (Douglas like!) rather than holding on to it for a fraction longer and having a look upfield, which carries the risk of getting caught and tackled. Looks to me this is how the older players cope with finding that the speed of the game has passed them by.

We could have dropped any of these four and brought in Jones and Gallucci, who both showed some touch and class last SANFL match.

But hey, a bit risky to select a younger, quicker team to play against West Coast? We know what we are going to get from Douglas and Gibbs and Sauce.

Yes we do....and that is the problem.

LittleCrowBoy

All Australian
Mar 4, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think the scary thing right now is that none of us can see the event that will cause this catastrophic change anywhere in our next 12 months.

We get smashed by 100 points a few times. Bring back some experience players.

More young players leave for opportunity. We turn the other cheek.

Maybe bottom 4 will spark some shuffles, but that will be too late.

I cannot imagine what will need to happen for them to respond with a club wide structural revamp.
Why would they change?....they can’t be sacked by the members....and they KNOW it. That’s why we are held in complete and utter contempt !!! ....just lip service is paid and we are patronised like moronic fools with puff pieces and propaganda to encourage us to “hang in there....keep the faith” and continue to bankroll the boys club.

I know when it will change.

When it stars affecting the AFLs pockets....and their VFL brand....they will step in and force a restructure of the club.

Until that day....NOTHING will change....as the “boys” ain’t gonna sack themselves are they????

Better to blame the players and members for giving up in the face of their arrogance and mismanagement.

I won’t be renewing my membership until Burton & Co are gone....I did the same with Trigg in the end...I sent emails to the club declaring that every time they prompted me for renewal.....so here we go again.

LittleCrowBoy

All Australian
Mar 4, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
That’s not the way we do things. Even last year when the season the lost the message was we pick our strongest team to win every game. We picked Otten over Himmelberg FFS.

They are selfish arseholes who prefer to stifle our development than be faced with the scrutiny of losses.
Elite....that is a PERFECT description of the muppets running our club....2 words is all that’s required.

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Being a masochist, I watched the St Kilda replay....and came away thinking our selection this week even more mystifying.

Dropping Rob is not totally wrong, he was beaten last week (but of course kept giving 100%) although I expect Sauce to get jumped all over on Sunday and not do any better than ROB would have.

Against St Kilda :

Douglas was ineffetive.
Atkins was ineffectual.
Knight was ineffective.
Gibbs was disappointing. He used to have two elite attributes: finding the ball and the quality of his disposal. He still finds the ball, although mainly receiving rather than getting contested possessions, but his disposal is ordinary. He missed numerous targets, plus lots of blind slamming it on the boot (Douglas like!) rather than holding on to it for a fraction longer and having a look upfield, which carries the risk of getting caught and tackled. Looks to me this is how the older players cope with finding that the speed of the game has passed them by.

We could have dropped any of these four and brought in Jones and Gallucci, who both showed some touch and class last SANFL match.

But hey, a bit risky to select a younger, quicker team to play against West Coast? We know what we are going to get from Douglas and Gibbs and Sauce.

Yes we do....and that is the problem.
In regards to ROB surely his 3 or 4 BOG's this year allowed him to be beaten by Marshall who is the best up and coming ruck In the league. 1 game. Out. Disgusting. Btw has Jacob's had 3 or 4 BOG's in his career?

Aug 7, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Jesus, when even BACCS is thinking like this, you know this are absolutely dire :(

Massive siege mentality within the Club.
They don't appear to accept or even acknowledge criticism, just put up the walls and protect the echo chamber, and then double down.
not-listening-gif.723804

boffo

Club Legend
Aug 7, 2006
AFL Club
Adelaide
In regards to ROB surely his 3 or 4 BOG's this year allowed him to be beaten by Marshall who is the best up and coming ruck In the league. 1 game. Out. Disgusting. Btw has Jacob's had 3 or 4 BOG's in his career?

I agree, we should have selected ROB, he would have done at least as well as Sauce will do.

But that''s not the worst part of the selection.

I couldn't see how we could select Douglas, Knight and Atkins again.

Back