Preview Changes: R21 v GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

You didn’t agree with all of my earlier post, but Lynch is another symptom of it.

If we had quality HBFs or Wings, we wouldn’t need to play Lynch in that hybrid HFF/Wing role. We need the connection he provides because of poor structure and performance.

I wouldn't necessarily say that it's something that's caused by a lack of quality HBFs or Wings as really, the quality has been there for a good couple of years (to the point I would say with absolute confidence we had the best HBFs/Wings in the league last season, and a good set this season, though hurt by Smith going down/Atkins having a down year). It is by far the strongest area of the ground for us quality wise, even factoring in that we've been carrying good bloke Mackay, and a huge reason as to why we got into a grand final last season (as much as our forward line was).

I would say it's most likely a symptom of us just having too many key forwards who justify game time and us unwilling or unable to make a hard call on one of them. Hence we're using the player who would succeed rather well as a CHF as a linkman, as a means to sacrifice a bit of strength structurally to accommodate them all. This has certainly been helped by McGovern being capable defensively. Unfortunately that is a problem that only gets worse next season with Fogarty, and potentially if we get our way Lukosius. A nice example of having too much quality in a position can actually be a bad thing.

Yeah but what about the ins...

The good ones were coming in regardless. Shiel would have played regardless. Green is massive. Dawson Simpson out makes a huge difference to our chances. Sauce could be in for a big one.

Disagree, Contrary to some I'm pleased we re-contracted him, none of the players on our list can come close to replicating his role.

Good player still. And it’s not nothing that we kept a high quality Victorian for the remainder of his career.

But we could have moved forward without him. We could have done it without skipping a beat. And the value we could have got from him could have been the difference between getting Luko and not. No guarantees on that, but most likely it gives a seriously better player than what we are currently going to get, or another good player on top of what we get this year.

You have to give up something valuable to get something valuable. Giving up CEY, Kelly etc doesn’t do much at all.

+

The fact that Tex has been picked again in spite of weak form (probably from injury, or unfit) shows that Pyke and Co are going down, all guns blazing, until it's an impossibility to make finals.
I reckon if GWS beat us on Saturday, you'll both get what you want.
I have lost all hope of Crows playing finals this year but the team hasn't which I support %100. They need to field their best team imo if for no other reason than to give them some impetus for next year. Giving up (tanking) is not an option.

I have lost all hope of Crows playing finals this year but the team hasn't which I support %100. They need to field their best team imo if for no other reason than to give them some impetus for next year. Giving up (tanking) is not an option.

If we get a win on Saturday night we are in serious danger of finishing NINTH. I am not sure how I will feel if we are few points down, kicking for goal after the siren. If we have a win tomorrow night then we only have to win our last two games by about a combined total of 35 goals and we could miss Eighth spot by a kick.

At least we are still playing Gallucci and Murphy, plus Doedee, Milera, Greenwood and Keath are now genuine best 22 players. If we lose tomorrow night then I would like to see the return of the FOG and possibly Himmelberg, Poholke, Signorello or Davis against North Melbourne. Any senior player who is not 100% fit should be put out to pasture.

Strangely, if we win our last three matches and other results go our way, we could have one of the fittest, in form teams going into the finals. The Footy Gods can be cruel at times :(.

I get that but one of our biggest problens this year was the lack of a preseason. I'd rather a player had their Surgery done now or had an extra month to rest their overuse injury so on Day 1 of preseason everyone is ready to go.

I don't know for sure but I doubt Elite Crow or Kane McGoodwin were advocating 'tanking'. I certainly wasn't. Furthermore, this week's selection suggests they are not tanking

It's financially advantageous for us to play in Finals, if only one Final, but the Crows don't have the hard match fitness, or the mongrel, or the form to go deep into finals this year. I blame Hass for our fitness woes, but the mongrel has to come from the team. Regardless, I can't see much point in busting a gut with an injured and demoralised group to sneak into 8th place and make up the numbers. In terms of next year's planning for success it won't matter if we finish 8th or 12th this year, except maybe 12th would give us a softer draw in 2019.
Re: your sentence in bold italics, if the Crows want "impetus for next year", doing what EC and KM suggested would be wise preparation for 2019. Seriously, if GWS beat us this week --- and they have won 8 of their last 9 games --- that puts us out of Finals contention. What would be the point of playing Tex and a few others who need a rest or surgery, in that case?
There's a difference between 'tanking' and smart planning for 2019.
We're still a chance to make the 8 and this week Pyke & Co have selected accordingly. It'll be interesting to see what they do if we lose vs GWS. Stay tuned, I guess ;).

I don't know for sure but I doubt Elite Crow or Kane McGoodwin were advocating 'tanking'. I certainly wasn't. Furthermore, this week's selection suggests they are not tanking

It's financially advantageous for us to play in Finals, if only one Final, but the Crows don't have the hard match fitness, or the mongrel, or the form to go deep into finals this year. I blame Hass for our fitness woes, but the mongrel has to come from the team. Regardless, I can't see much point in busting a gut with an injured and demoralised group to sneak into 8th place and make up the numbers. In terms of next year's planning for success it won't matter if we finish 8th or 12th this year, except maybe 12th would give us a softer draw in 2019.
Re: your sentence in bold italics, if the Crows want "impetus for next year", doing what EC and KM suggested would be wise preparation for 2019. Seriously, if GWS beat us this week --- and they have won 8 of their last 9 games --- that puts us out of Finals contention. What would be the point of playing Tex and a few others who need a rest or surgery, in that case?
There's a difference between 'tanking' and smart planning for 2019.
We're still a chance to make the 8 and this week Pyke & Co have selected accordingly. It'll be interesting to see what they do if we lose vs GWS. Stay tuned, I guess ;).
I cant go into a game hoping to lose, its just not in my DNA. And I would hope not one of the guys on our list or our coaching staff could either. And while there's even a glimmer of hope its the teams responsibility to chase it regardless of how hopeless it seems! But if we lose this week i'm all for treating the last 2 rounds as a mini preseason (which I don't consider tanking at all). Still try and win games, but put everyone on ice who is carrying anything, get a couple more games into the likes of FOG, Poholke, Berg and Gooch, and start experimenting with positions for next season!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good selections.

1. Talia on ice. Just put him away. No point playing him if he's not fit.
2. Not playing Walker + JJ + Lynch + Gov in the wet. Would be way too tall. Horses for courses and happy for Gov to be the one who misses out, if he's not 100% right.
I'm not sure how wet it will be. Here's the current forecast from the BoM. It's very unusual to say the least:
Cloudy. High (80%) chance of showers with the risk of a thunderstorm in the afternoon and evening. Snow falling above 900 metres at night. Winds north to northwesterly 20 to 30 km/h tending west to northwesterly 25 to 40 km/h during the day. Overnight temperatures falling to around 3 with daytime temperatures reaching between 9 and 16.
Canberra & Manuka are at an altitude of around 580m. Those winds are strong, from the NW, which normally means hot & dry conditions.

I'm guessing it will be wet & windy, but not overly cold (at least by Canberra standards).

I'm not sure how wet it will be. Here's the current forecast from the BoM. It's very unusual to say the least:

Canberra & Manuka are at an altitude of around 580m. Those winds are strong, from the NW, which normally means hot & dry conditions.

I'm guessing it will be wet & windy, but not overly cold (at least by Canberra standards).
With the speed and ball use of GWS, wet and slippery might suit us, bring it back down to a scrap.

Just looked at team on AFC site --- only three players, Brouch, Talia and Seedsman, missing from best 22.
I like the forward line balance, three talls, three smalls. Murphy and Gallucci bring hustle and pressure.
Not sure who will go to Cameron. Keath?
With wet/windy predicted, it looks like shaping up to be a scrappy dogfight, but we have good form in the wet with a record number of contested possessions in one game (was it Bulldogs?).

If we get a win on Saturday night we are in serious danger of finishing NINTH. I am not sure how I will feel if we are few points down, kicking for goal after the siren. If we have a win tomorrow night then we only have to win our last two games by about a combined total of 35 goals and we could miss Eighth spot by a kick.

At least we are still playing Gallucci and Murphy, plus Doedee, Milera, Greenwood and Keath are now genuine best 22 players. If we lose tomorrow night then I would like to see the return of the FOG and possibly Himmelberg, Poholke, Signorello or Davis against North Melbourne. Any senior player who is not 100% fit should be put out to pasture.

Strangely, if we win our last three matches and other results go our way, we could have one of the fittest, in form teams going into the finals. The Footy Gods can be cruel at times :(.

This requires Essendon beating Port and St Kilda beating North in the last round

upload_2018-8-10_10-56-32.png

I also want us to play to the end to win. No resty resty. They got the pre season break for that

Given out ladder position and the form of those beneath us, we may as well try to win

So they decided to run him into the ground and damage his standing amongst the fans?

That how we roll, we keep selecting senior players when they are stuffed and should be given weeks off.

This happens time and time again, we have a minimum "experienced player" quota that must be met regardless of form or injury.

Just looked at team on AFC site --- only three players, Brouch, Talia and Seedsman, missing from best 22.
I like the forward line balance, three talls, three smalls. Murphy and Gallucci bring hustle and pressure.
Not sure who will go to Cameron. Keath?
With wet/windy predicted, it looks like shaping up to be a scrappy dogfight, but we have good form in the wet with a record number of contested possessions in one game (was it Bulldogs?).
McGovern is best 22.

With Talia out and only Keath as our tall back the writing is on the wall.
As much as I would hope for a win, I just can't see how we win this one. GWS has more talent all over the field than us.
Two more injuries, plus the non selection of Gov is going to be a bridge too far.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back