Preview Changes: R22 vs Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

You guys have forgotten the 4-D chess played by our coach. When they get up to Brisbane, he will decide that the temperature is way too high for Rory to last a full game and will switch him back to sub. Job done. ;)

This is going to become a Mark Bickley "Eddie Betts to the middle" tactic where it becomes so commonplace that it's only surprising when it doesn't happen :D

Seems an odd time to be trying to teach Rachele a lesson

Surely we've just got to pick our best team

Lesson for Rachele... we're thinking long term here. Also us: Sloane in.

We've made it abundantly clear this season and previous seasons that we don't use selection as a way of teaching lessons.

The thinking will be as simple as "Sloane offers more than Rachele or any of the available SANFL options at the moment" and that's it.

Rachele as a sub after having played only one game in the last three weeks feels like a terrible move. In the unlikely event that we actually make the finals, he's going to be severely lacking match fitness.
He’s lacking fitness for sure hence has struggled to maintain his form from early season

Apparently was very sore mid season so hopefully he can get some good training blocks going …. Just have a feeling he needs another pre season to sustain for longer
Hasnt worked for Sloane all year.. when he has finally played alright in a few if his games.. its mostly been in the last quarter of the game..
Sloane has had some decent games , hit the wall re form then went to sub and got some form back …

Maybe Rachele can do the same

Ideally sloane would continue as sub , but maybe this works better for Josh for now . We will find out Saturday

Rachele as a sub after having played only one game in the last three weeks feels like an ill-considered move. In the unlikely event that we actually make the finals, he's going to be severely lacking match fitness.
Doesn’t matter, we’ve got Rory, Keays, and Murphy

We've made it abundantly clear this season and previous seasons that we don't use selection as a way of teaching lessons.

The thinking will be as simple as "Sloane offers more than Rachele or any of the available SANFL options at the moment" and that's it.

And it's infuriating.

But we didn't think that way a week ago

It's not like he's important to our future or anything. We can't afford to show him the patience that we've showed a Lachlan Murphy.
What's the standard we expect from him effort wise? First game back after being suspended and his response is two touches in three quarters? He's going backwards. Not sure what's going on but he needs a reset.

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app

With Rankine not ready, my preference was one change. Out Jones and In Pedlar but we opted for the good old like for like.
The obvious logic was to keep our structure as close to the last two weeks as possible. Jones has been playing on the wing and I presume that we are going to play Sloane and Smith on the wing.

The other options were to bring in Cook/Sholl or to move Hinge or Nankervis from defence to the wing.

Our forward line looks potent and our inside mids have played well the last two weeks. Our weakness is our defence with five sub-20 game players (three with 11 games between them), what could possibly go wrong 🙄? We have also struggled on the wings for most of the year and Chayce is a big loss.

We are 1 win/7 losses interstate, they are 9/0 at home. It will be one hell of a win if we get over the line.

But we didn't think that way a week ago

Irritatingly, our selection panel appears to have a memory that goes back one week and no further.

Rachele was poor last weekend, no doubt. Sloane was good in his one quarter. That's as far as the decision-making process likely went.

Irritatingly, our selection panel appears to have a memory that goes back one week and no further.

Rachele was poor last weekend, no doubt. Sloane was good in his one quarter. That's as far as the decision-making process likely went.
I just hope the thinking isn't "Let's start Sloane and sub him off when he's tired". We get an early injury, Rachelle comes on and we don't have fresh legs with speed as planned.

The other way around Sloane can come on for whomever gets injured or flags late in the game. He aren't putting our eggs in the "injection of speed" basket and plan accordingly.

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sloane in is all too predictable after all the puff pieces about his re-signing this week, I fear picking a team most conducive to winning might be second priority from here on out, first priority being making sure Rory is given every opportunity possible to ““justify”” another contract. The head honchos at this club never learn and our talented youngins pay for it

Or perhaps they’re playing chess and selecting him knowing he’ll produce an absolute stinker when our season’s on the line so they have no choice but to refute his contract wishes because they’re too spineless to do it now… as if that GWS game at home wasn’t proof enough. I can envision the next couple of weeks being beyond infuriating, imagine Sloane on a wing in the Sydney game playing on Gulden hahaha

Is it too premature to play Nank on a wing for a bit, does he have any experience there? Cook is a wingman, whyyyy do they continue to shaft him???
The e problem is the team they're picking and heavily featuring Sloane in the midfield when he plays is what they think is the most conducive to winning.

It's purely short term, make the 8 for the feels thinking that's taken over.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does the 5aa commentate away games from a studio now? What about home games?

Home games are at the ground but all away games are in the studio.

It's put me off listening to their call if I am in the car. Guys like Goodings, Rehn, Tuggwell are good callers but I suspect unlike some other commentary teams they are not getting any special feed as it is really poor quality. They have to pause alot.

He’s lacking fitness for sure hence has struggled to maintain his form from early season

Apparently was very sore mid season so hopefully he can get some good training blocks going …. Just have a feeling he needs another pre season to sustain for longer

Sloane has had some decent games , hit the wall re form then went to sub and got some form back …

Maybe Rachele can do the same

Ideally sloane would continue as sub , but maybe this works better for Josh for now . We will find out Saturday
He has managed to have some serviceable games in 2023 which is a credit to him and his competitive spirit but as I have posted before his form leading into the Easter tragedy of 2022 was very poor.

He has lost speed in both his legs and his brain - watch how many times he gets caught with the ball or is pressured to the point that he puts a mate under the pump.

He definitely earned a pile of brownie points and he used up a heap in 2022, more in 2023 please don’t dip into more in 2024.

With Jones out we can play Sloane on Charlie Cameron

What's the standard we expect from him effort wise? First game back after being suspended and his response is two touches in three quarters? He's going backwards. Not sure what's going on but he needs a reset.

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Why do our most defensive fans always think every single young player we have is just not trying?

What it’s going to do is make selection against Sydney very interesting.

Assuming we do plan on retiring Sloane next week, if he sucks against Brisbane, do we carry him in such an important game? Surely you’re not being made sub in a farewell home game?

Rankine will return against Sydney, if Murphy sucks will we finally drop him?

How is Rachelle going to build a case for a recall with Rankine returning? Will we drop Sloane for him?
Sloane would be a brilliant strategic sub in a must win, home, farewell game. We know he can be an effective sub but the crowd and team lift at a potentially critical time of the match would be invaluable.

Correct.

Pecking order always wins out.

I'm happy with the team selections. I think they have got it right overall. Big call considering Brisbane have not lost one at home this year, but I am backing the Crows in to win.

Sloane in has genuinely pissed me off so bad and ruined any excitement I had for this match, what a weak ******* move in such an important game. Every other player in our midfield deserve better than him and he bogs all of their efforts down when he’s in there. Maybe I’m crazy but I’m almost reaching the same levels of despondency Port fans have for Hinkley when it comes to Sloane’s potential new contract

It’s bad enough we could have seen Crouch play like this earlier in the season if it weren’t for Sloane hogging a spot in the midfield but the theory that the two of them cannot work in tandem together because Crouch needs quality, pacy mids around him to get that kind of performance out of him absolutely holds weight I’m sure, and if it all goes to s**t Saturday, who do you think they’re dropping out of those two, who’ll become the scapegoat?

Literally who outside of the club and delusional fans has rated Sloane’s performance this year outside of a good final quarter here and there??? The servitude towards him beggars belief

Remove this Banner Ad

Back