Preview Changes: R22 vs North Melbourne, Saturday August 13, 1.40pm ACST @ Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd like to see us try to play the 22 we're planning/imagining might be close to our best 22 for next year. Ignore current form, ignore SANFL finals qualification, ignore trying to maximise our wins this year to show 'progress'...get our next core group together and tell them the future starts now.

That should mean Thilthorpe, Rachele (pending injury), Taylor and Pedlar in and Himmelberg, McHenry, Murphy and Davis at the very least out (Smith on very thin ice).

If Thilthorpe and Rachele are fit they should play. None of this having to earn their spot rubbish. They’ve both done so by proving they are elite AFL talents, get them in and give them the chance to beat up on a weaker side.

Himmelberg’s great finish to the game should not matter. He was completely ineffective for most of the game. We’ve seen enough of him by this point to know that was not an aberration but the norm. TT is a star, Elliott is not, quit the foreplay, put TT in and leave him there.

Zac Taylor in for Schoenberg (if we retain any selection integrity). Schoenberg will have to improve significantly next year to retain his spot in the team.

Doedee if fit in for Hamill, otherwise Davis.

Love to see Newchurch get a game - he’s a fast, skillful point of difference to our current SF triers, but I suspect he will have to wait until next year. I’m fairly confident he’ll either still be on our list or someone else’s (Geelong?).

Zac Taylor in for Schoenberg (if we retain any selection integrity). Schoenberg will have to improve significantly next year to retain his spot in the team.

Doedee if fit in for Hamill, otherwise Davis.

Love to see Newchurch get a game - he’s a fast, skillful point of difference to our current SF triers, but I suspect he will have to wait until next year. I’m fairly confident he’ll either still be on our list or someone else’s (Geelong?).
I thought Schoenberg played a lot better than his possession count showed. TOG was very low.

Needs to have more impact on the outside but I thought his inside game was pretty good.

Going into this game, I'd be half interested in seeing some players get a taste so we can see what they can do, then in the showdown we pick the best side available.

Ins: Rachele, Thilthorpe, Doedee, Taylor, McAsey
Outs: Murphy, Walker, Davis, Hamill, Schoenberg

We have nothing to gain from walker playing this game and may as well rest him for the showdown so others can get some game time, I'd bring in Thilthorpe for him. I want to see Himmelberg given some games in a row.
Murphy needs to make way for Rachele
Davis makes way for Doedee
I would bring in McAsey to view his abilities as a forward and backman. If he shows nothing then the club can delist him no worries.
Taylor deserves a crack. This kid could be the bargain of the draft.

Id even consider giving Pedlar a crack. We need to put games into the kids somehow and I am not sure forcing them to wait for injuries and using the Sanfl to do it is ideal. The club should be looking to pump games into as many players as possible until they rule a line through your name and suggest you look elsewhere.

No one is saying OP, but then no one ever says OP until they’ve recovered from it. What I am trying to say is does Rachele have OP?
I believe it was in game strain of a groin..... It can certainly lead to op if not treated and looked after, but as of this moment no he doesn't have op

There's no chance at all of Murphy being dropped. I know people don't rate him/don't see him as part of the future of the club but he was genuinely one of our better players yesterday.

For reference he was equal leader in the team for inside 50s (6) and goal assists (2), disposals was equal 4th (19, same as Berry). Most of his disposals were kicks, was 5th in our meters gained, picked up 3 clearances, and he kicked a goal from a contested mark. More than enough to retain his place in the side.

Rachele is injured, it has been posted in multiple threads including this one and it’s kinda weird that so many are choosing to ignore it. His season is clearly over.

We know Hamill is out. Anyone paying attention would want Taylor to debut. It’s pretty likely that Doedee returns - will we go taller with Doedee replacing Hamill, or will we go shorter with a small replacing Hamill and Doedee replacing Butts? Should we put Doedee on ice?

It’s possible and bordering on likely that Thilthorpe replaces Himmelberg but EH had 4 massive moments in the last quarter and a half (2 key goals, a great goal assist and a great tackle) that might sway the selectors to give him another look.

Sholl is in solid form but it looks like there’s a pretty strong chance he’s being traded out and has been banished to the SANFL permanently a la Crouch. Davis would be a silly chance of coming into the 22 as he replaced Hamill on the weekend and didn’t do much wrong. Whipping boys Murphy and McHenry are extremely unlikely to be dropped - Murphy had one of his strongest games for the year and McHenry has photos and kicked 2 more than he normally does. Schoenberg was poor against WCE and would be a decent chance to be dumped. Pedlar is knocking on the door. Newchurch is still yet to debut. Gollant is not completely out of the conversation. Is Parnell a bit cooked?

So…

What I would do…

Out:
Hamill, McHenry, Himmelberg, Davis

In:
Taylor, Pedlar, Thilthorpe

Sub:
Sholl

What is far more likely to happen…

Out:
Hamill, Himmelberg, Davis

In:
Doedee, Thilthorpe

Sub:
Sholl or Pedlar

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In..............Out
Thillthorpe..Himmleberg
Taylor..........Shoenberg
Turner..........Hamill (inj)

Parnell,ButtsWorrell
Hinge,Murray,Smith
Dawson,Laird,Jones
Obrien,Berry,Soligo
Milera,Walker,Murphy
McAdam,Fogarty,Thillthorpe
Keays,Turner,McHenry,Taylor

Davis (Sub)

Last edited:
Taylor for Hamill. Shift Hinge to HBF. Show this kid whats required for AFL going into the preseason. Hes earned it.

Being real, Taylor is more likely to learn that from our next SANFL opponent instead of the AFL.

I'd definitely be picking on potential not form at this stage
Yes, agree with this statement.
The next fortnight is an opportunity to give young blokes with potential (and good form on the track) with 2 games of AFL footy and an opportunity to show they can fit in with the team plans/structures etc. It really doesn't matter if we win these 2 matches or not. They're basically an extra 2x 2023 pre-season matches, being held in August 2022. Winning them is not a priority... getting structures and systems right and giving young blokes an opportunity should be the priority.
Anyone playing on with injury niggles... sit them out and start their rehab now.

That hip injury to Rachele is really lingering. I hope it doesn't turn into another one that requires surgery in Feb.

Hberg out for Thilthorpe
Yeah Hberg was ok as the game went on last week, but he is depth for Tilthy.

Hamill out for Taylor.
Not like for like, but put Milera at HB.

Jones for Gollant. Pushing Milera to HB opens up a forward spot. Not sure why Gollant is our best mark of the ball and a great kick.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hberg out for Thilthorpe
Yeah Hberg was ok as the game went on last week, but he is depth for Tilthy.

Hamill out for Taylor.
Not like for like, but put Milera at HB.

Jones for Gollant. Pushing Milera to HB opens up a forward spot. Not sure why Gollant is our best mark of the ball and a great kick.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I like it except Taylor would take Mileras spot up forward, you’d have to drop someone else’s from up forward not Jones

Remove this Banner Ad

Back