Preview Changes: R23 v Carlton, 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks like Himmelberg will have to make his debut, with Doedee's collarbone forcing the selectors' hand. Does anyone know how long Smith will be out?

Surely no point bringing Smith back. Himmelberg for Doedee, Gov to a full game behind the ball. I'd drop Dougie for Murph, he's been terrible pre and post injury. Was good early in the year, but doesn’t deserve his spot ahead of Murph right now. But that won't happen.

Realistically you’d think we’ll see...

Out: Doedee
In: One of Fogarty or Himmelberg (probably Fogarty because it makes far less sense)

I haven’t heard any expected timeframes on Keath or Smith though, so no doubt we’d bring one or both of them in if they’re right. Bringing Smith in after 1 game off with a soft tissue injury coming off an ACL tear would be one of the dumbest moves in club history but if he’s listed as “test”, you better believe we’ll do it. Keath a 1 week hammy awareness injury maybe? That always ends well.

Can’t see any point in playing Jacobs, Betts or even Gibbs as all 3 don’t appear 100% to me, but we simply must keep in line with tradition and stunt the development of anyone not selected in the first round or two of the draft in order to attempt to worsen our upcoming draft position / never find out if any of Hunter, Signorello, Davis or Himmelberg actually have what it takes to play at the level. (It is a joke that Himmelberg wasn’t in the side today, an absolute farce).

Also, can anyone on the planet explain to me why Murphy didn’t play today? Comfortably better than 10 of our players against GWS (including BOTH OF Gallucci and Betts who played similar roles on the night). Ridiculous non-selection, and even moreso considering a) we can’t make the 8 so developing youth should be a no-brainer, b) C Cameron’s absence increases the need for a speedy defensive forward to permanently replace him moving into 2019, c) Richmond have laid the blueprint for success which blatantly involves small, fast, high pressure, strong tackling players, d) he’s a really good shot for goal, e) Betts is pretty much finished, f) did I mention developing youth / rewarding solid performances?

But yeah, let’s not play him. Richard Douglas the half forward guru of the future. Must prioritise that.

Ps * you West Coast

Realistically you’d think we’ll see...

Out: Doedee
In: One of Fogarty or Himmelberg (probably Fogarty because it makes far less sense)

I haven’t heard any expected timeframes on Keath or Smith though, so no doubt we’d bring one or both of them in if they’re right. Bringing Smith in after 1 game off with a soft tissue injury coming off an ACL tear would be one of the dumbest moves in club history but if he’s listed as “test”, you better believe we’ll do it. Keath a 1 week hammy awareness injury maybe? That always ends well.

Can’t see any point in playing Jacobs, Betts or even Gibbs as all 3 don’t appear 100% to me, but we simply must keep in line with tradition and stunt the development of anyone not selected in the first round or two of the draft in order to attempt to worsen our upcoming draft position / never find out if any of Hunter, Signorello, Davis or Himmelberg actually have what it takes to play at the level. (It is a joke that Himmelberg wasn’t in the side today, an absolute farce).

Also, can anyone on the planet explain to me why Murphy didn’t play today? Comfortably better than 10 of our players against GWS (including BOTH OF Gallucci and Betts who played similar roles on the night). Ridiculous non-selection, and even moreso considering a) we can’t make the 8 so developing youth should be a no-brainer, b) C Cameron’s absence increases the need for a speedy defensive forward to permanently replace him moving into 2019, c) Richmond have laid the blueprint for success which blatantly involves small, fast, high pressure, strong tackling players, d) he’s a really good shot for goal, e) Betts is pretty much finished, f) did I mention developing youth / rewarding solid performances?

But yeah, let’s not play him. Richard Douglas the half forward guru of the future. Must prioritise that.

Ps **** you West Coast

I've not seen Himmelberg play defence, Fogarty however did play defence on the weekend and found the most footy he has this year so I'm thinking he might be next man up?

I've not seen Himmelberg play defence, Fogarty however did play defence on the weekend and found the most footy he has this year so I'm thinking he might be next man up?

Today our 7 man defence essentially consisted of:

Brown, Otten, Cheney
Laird, Doedee, Milera, Kelly

With Doedee out, and neither of Fogarty or Himmelberg really projecting long-term as a defender, the logical move for me would be to just plug the Doedee hole from within the 22 (McGovern), and give Himmelberg a game in Gov’s normal role.

Against the worst side in the league, it would be great to see what Berg can do with some repeat entries inside 50 coming his way.

Won’t happen.

Would like to see Himmelberg, Murphy, Fogarty, Polholke & Davis given a go next week. Keath too if he has recovered.

Outs: Doedee (inj), Betts, Jacobs, Lynch, Mackay & Kelly in the firing line depending on who is carrying injuries.

Something like...

B: Brown, Otten, Cheney
HB: Gibbs, McGovern, Laird
C: Seedsman, Crouch, Atkins
HF: Sloane, Himmelberg, Gallucci
F: Davis, Fogarty, Greenwood
R: Jenkins, Knight, Milera
I: Kelly, Douglas, Polholke, Murphy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Berg and Murphy in at least.

Looks like Cripps broke a rib or 2 today too which makes losing almost impossible

Finish with an injury list of
Keath
Doedee
Thalia
Hartigan
B. Crouch
Smith

Many other players injured throughout year or played injured , among them
McGovern
Sloane
Walker
M. Crouch
Cheney
Gibson
Seedsman
Betts
Knight

Season from hell as far as injuries goes but no one will be held accountable
Despite this we have players on our list that still didn't get a go

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Keath
Doedee
Thalia
Hartigan
B. Crouch
Smith

McGovern
Sloane
Walker
M. Crouch
Cheney
Gibson
Seedsman
Betts
Knight

Be very surprised if that was the case. Pretty sure some heads will roll.

Changes
Out - Doedee (inj)
In - Keath (if fit) or Himmelberg/Fogarty

I could GAF this week. The time to send players for surgery or extra time to get ready for preseason was last week. Missed the opportunity to give guys like EH a debut, expect them to miss the same opportunity this week.

Someone I play footy with works at Docklands Stadium

A couple of weeks ago she said to me 'Oh if you want some good tickets to the Crows game in the last round, let me know'

I told them I have the Victorian Crows Membership already but maybe the upgraded seats might be cool

I don't have anything on this Saturday night but I don't remember the last time that I have contemplated not going to see one of the rare Crows games when I've been available to do so...

The atmosphere will be duller than a room full of teetotallers at the wake of the uncle that no one liked

Keath
Doedee
Thalia
Hartigan
B. Crouch
Smith

McGovern
Sloane
Walker
M. Crouch
Cheney
Gibson
Seedsman
Betts
Knight

How unfortunate those injuries have been

All of our first round picks must end up playing in defence. It is fate!

Tentative 2019 7 man defence:
Milera, Talia, Doedee
Smith, Fogarty, Douglas, Gallucci

Sorted

Otten and Cheney out and hartigan in! /s

LOL. Can't believe we went with that for so long and it cost us a finals spot. But at least we changed over the course of the year.. Just took Don and the members a little longer than most to see.

Someone I play footy with works at Docklands Stadium

A couple of weeks ago she said to me 'Oh if you want some good tickets to the Crows game in the last round, let me know'

I told them I have the Victorian Crows Membership already but maybe the upgraded seats might be cool

I don't have anything on this Saturday night but I don't remember the last time that I have contemplated not going to see one of the rare Crows games when I've been available to do so...

The atmosphere will be duller than a room full of teetotallers at the wake of the uncle that no one liked
Uncle Jake lever?

Today our 7 man defence essentially consisted of:

Brown, Otten, Cheney
Laird, Doedee, Milera, Kelly

With Doedee out, and neither of Fogarty or Himmelberg really projecting long-term as a defender, the logical move for me would be to just plug the Doedee hole from within the 22 (McGovern), and give Himmelberg a game in Gov’s normal role.

Against the worst side in the league, it would be great to see what Berg can do with some repeat entries inside 50 coming his way.

Won’t happen.
On Fogarty, I think there is a chance (<30%) he plays some defence for us next year, so why not give him a trial this week.

Perhaps in a few years he ends up as a defender - as one of those forwards who looked good but just didn’t get enough of it, like Sicily and Moore in the last year or two.

Perhaps he ends up forward eventually, but we let him settle at AFL level in defence to get the feel of the game as per Pavlich and a few others over time.
Having 4 established tall forwards already also a factor.

Perhaps we get a plague of injuries in round 23, and we need to slot someone into that role as there is no one else.

If we might need to call on Fogarty in that role at some point next year, why not give him a run at AFL level now.

On MGov, I can’t see him ending up in defence permanently. He can go back at times when we are trying to slow the game down for an intercept mark and slow kick towards the boundary. Fogarty’s penetrating kick would be a real weapon for breaking out of the forward press, whereas MGov’s slow chippy kicks will end up with us hemmed in even if he does take a few spectacular marks.

Therefore I hope we see Fog in defence this week, and MGov forward, and I reckon there is a good chance.

On Himmelberg, I am convinced that a charity “taster” game makes any difference. There is lots of data to say that something you worked harder to achieve, you will perceive as more valuable, balanced by the argument that some AFL experience helps you better prepare which is the conventional wisdom here. But for me, if Himmelberg hasn’t earned his spot, and for me competitiveness is key here, then let him play SANFL.

On Fogarty, I think there is a chance (<30%) he plays some defence for us next year, so why not give him a trial this week.

Perhaps in a few years he ends up as a defender - as one of those forwards who looked good but just didn’t get enough of it, like Sicily and Moore in the last year or two.

Perhaps he ends up forward eventually, but we let him settle at AFL level in defence to get the feel of the game as per Pavlich and a few others over time.
Having 4 established tall forwards already also a factor.

Perhaps we get a plague of injuries in round 23, and we need to slot someone into that role as there is no one else.

If we might need to call on Fogarty in that role at some point next year, why not give him a run at AFL level now.

On MGov, I can’t see him ending up in defence permanently. He can go back at times when we are trying to slow the game down for an intercept mark and slow kick towards the boundary. Fogarty’s penetrating kick would be a real weapon for breaking out of the forward press, whereas MGov’s slow chippy kicks will end up with us hemmed in even if he does take a few spectacular marks.

Therefore I hope we see Fog in defence this week, and MGov forward, and I reckon there is a good chance.

On Himmelberg, I am convinced that a charity “taster” game makes any difference. There is lots of data to say that something you worked harder to achieve, you will perceive as more valuable, balanced by the argument that some AFL experience helps you better prepare which is the conventional wisdom here. But for me, if Himmelberg hasn’t earned his spot, and for me competitiveness is key here, then let him play SANFL.
Back to front IMO.

In ad ideal world we can play them both forward.

But if choosing I would be playing McGovern down back ahead of fogarty every day of the week atm.

Let's just see if McGovern is even playing for us next year.

He was 1 of my favourites but He's had a shocking year and looked like a player who doesn't even want to be there and if that's the case we need to move him on NOW and move past Cm and this season and any damage it has caused and come together as a group again. Plenty of others at the club would love his spot if he's not fully committed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back