Preview Changes: R23 vs Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

I assume you guys will let us win you do not want to run the risk of port winning by more and making the finals :)
I don't think we'll have much choice in the matter. I think most of us are resigned to the fact that the players gave up as a result of something which happened during the bye. Best guess is a 10+ goal victory to the Dogs. I'd give better odds on a 100+pt win by the Dogs than a Crows win.

AFL SANFL
FJonesWalkerBettsFStengleJenkinsDavis
HFDouglasFogartyLynchHFWrightHimmelbergMacadam
CSeedsSmithSloaneCAtkinsWilsonMackay
HBB CrouchKeathMileraHBShollHartiganHamil
BLairdTaliaBrownBMerrettButtsOtten
RuckInterRuckInter
O'BrienKellyJacobsStrachan
M CrouchPoholkeMurphyHucheson
GibbsGallucciKnightBoyle
Greenwood

I don't think we'll have much choice in the matter. I think most of us are resigned to the fact that the players gave up as a result of something which happened during the bye. Best guess is a 10+ goal victory to the Dogs. I'd give better odds on a 100+pt win by the Dogs than a Crows win.
Any idea what happened during bye?

Any idea what happened during bye?
None whatsoever.

We were bad before the draw. Since the draw we've been a rabble, who rarely bother to turn up after half-time (and barely put in an effort before half-time).

Something clearly changed during the bye period, as there's a strong delineation between our performances pre- and post-bye.

Well this should be an interesting evening ... where Don shows his colours.

Douglas and Jacobs to say goodbye? Mackay and Harto to be "backed in". I tell ya, that could result in 120pt thrashing. Now if that happens - then Mr Pyke may have done just enough to trigger a "cya" clause.

If we go in slow and old again, with two ruckmen again (because Jacobs deserves his spot) we will get so easily run over it will make the collingwood game look competitive.

What's the opposite of all that? What will show something to hold some hope out for our current coach? For me it will all be to little to late - but what could he possibly do that will make some of those ready to string up the noose say "... hang on". I cannot for the life of me think of any inclusions / omissions that will light a spark for our man Pykey.

Tell ya what. If we play Himmelberg, Jones, Stengle and one of Scholl / Hamill / Butts ... I'll sign his "Good luck in the future" card when he leaves without a nasty comment underneath :)

Well this should be an interesting evening ... where Don shows his colours.

Douglas and Jacobs to say goodbye? Mackay and Harto to be "backed in". I tell ya, that could result in 120pt thrashing. Now if that happens - then Mr Pyke may have done just enough to trigger a "cya" clause.

If we go in slow and old again, with two ruckmen again (because Jacobs deserves his spot) we will get so easily run over it will make the collingwood game look competitive.

What's the opposite of all that? What will show something to hold some hope out for our current coach? For me it will all be to little to late - but what could he possibly do that will make some of those ready to string up the noose say "... hang on". I cannot for the life of me think of any inclusions / omissions that will light a spark for our man Pykey.

Tell ya what. If we play Himmelberg, Jones, Stengle and one of Scholl / Hamill / Butts ... I'll sign his "Good luck in the future" card when he leaves without a nasty comment underneath :)

In todays presser with Douglas pretty sure he's ruled out going with the two ruckman again.........so ROB to miss.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think if we are all thinking with the head and not the heart,given his form the last 3 weeks Douglas should not be playing this week. If selected I think it shows where the club is at
I don't begrudge him a farewell game. He's been a loyal servant of the club for many years, and is an ex-Club Champion. It's not as if his selection will be the difference between winning & losing. With him, we lose by 15 goals. Without him, we lose by 14 goals.

I don't begrudge him a farewell game. He's been a loyal servant of the club for many years, and is an ex-Club Champion. It's not as if his selection will be the difference between winning & losing. With him, we lose by 15 goals. Without him, we lose by 14 goals.
Yep - if we had any sense that we could do something in this game to influence anything, it would change the perspective slightly. Let Dougy play, hell let all the players that are finishing up at AFC play. According to my exclusive research on BigFooty, that means Jacobs and Otten and Keath and Greenwood and Jenkins and Knight and Brouch and Lynch should all be given a farewell game in Ballarat !!!

Yep - if we had any sense that we could do something in this game to influence anything, it would change the perspective slightly. Let Dougy play, hell let all the players that are finishing up at AFC play. According to my exclusive research on BigFooty, that means Jacobs and Otten and Keath and Greenwood and Jenkins and Knight and Brouch and Lynch should all be given a farewell game in Ballarat !!!
The difference is that Otten & Douglas have already announced their retirements. They get the benefit of this being Adelaide's final game of 2019.

The others, as far as they've told us, will all be at the club in 2020 - therefore there's no need to farewell them.

The difference is that Otten & Douglas have already announced their retirements. They get the benefit of this being Adelaide's final game of 2019.

The others, as far as they've told us, will all be at the club in 2020 - therefore there's no need to farewell them.
It was fairly tongue in cheek Vader ... or didn't you make it through the whole post?

None whatsoever.
We were bad before the draw. Since the draw we've been a rabble, who rarely bother to turn up after half-time (and barely put in an effort before half-time).
Something clearly changed during the bye period, as there's a strong delineation between our performances pre- and post-bye.
I've thought exactly this: "Something clearly changed during the bye period..." for some time now.
Similarly, I have no knowledge of what it is, only guesses:
--- they were trained into the ground and came back totally stale and flat (which is how they've executed their second halves)
--- some kind of factional disunity (eg older vs younger players, re-signers committed to the Club vs potential leavers)
Anybody got any factual info?

None whatsoever.

I posted my theory a while back that we started flogging the players at training around about the bye week. We had a number of training injuries at around that time and it was mentioned in a few articles/interviews about how hard we had been training.

I posted my theory a while back that we started flogging the players at training around about the bye week. We had a number of training injuries at around that time and it was mentioned in a few articles/interviews about how hard we had been training.
Plausible

Remove this Banner Ad

Back