Preview Changes: R23 vs Western Bulldogs

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
Or his contract needs to be amended

It’s always been suggested that clarksons contract requires a minimum number of young players in the team
Reckon Chris Scott has something similar

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
Remember when O'Brien was reportedly banging the door down and dominating the pre-season, making Jacobs look silly? Then we picked Jacobs for round 1.

Same philosophy then as now.
That's very different to what I was hearing.....Sauce was still beating ROB in match simulation during pre-season training.

Jeffcrowe care to comment.

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Dec 29, 2000
AFL Club
Adelaide
Has there been any explanation as to why O'Brien was omitted?

Surely it can't be that they think Jacobs offers more? Surely.

It is, right? :(

At the same stage of their careers O’Brien offers more

And even over their careers, O’Brien offers more

It is just mind blogging decisions.

That's very different to the words you used in your previous post..... "Dominating" "Making Jacobs look silly"

A two game ruck being neck and neck with our veteran? That's making him look silly

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
At the same stage of their careers O’Brien offers more

And even over their careers, O’Brien offers more

It is just mind blogging decisions.
I'm not advocating retaining Sauce at all or that he should be playing ahead of ROB currently but ROB has a long, long way to go reach the heights of Sauce in his prime, you can offer up a truck load of stats but if you can't see that then you're not serious.

Dec 29, 2000
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'm not advocating retaining Sauce at all or that he should be playing ahead of ROB currently but ROB has a long, long way to go reach the heights of Sauce in his prime, you can offer up a truck load of stats but if you can't see that then you're not serious.

ROB has a lot more upside and will be better than Jacobs.

40porpoise

Club Legend
Aug 29, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide

This is true. Jacobs in his prime was fantastic. However I feel this type of thinking permeates through the club and is the basis for our horrid selections. They are clinging on so hard to the past it’s embarrassing

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
No but clarification on why they decided to continue to play the older guys instead of blooding kids would be.

How can they justify the results this year and still play the same older guys knowing the season was shot would be.

They don’t see it that way. As long as we’re a mathematical chance to make the 8 we play what they perceive to be our best line up. And there’s a fair chance that our 22 would be the same even if mathematically we couldn’t make it weeks ago. Our club culture is to always focus 100% on the 4 points on offer that week.

Morning_Fog

Premiership Player
Jun 24, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
They don’t see it that way. As long as we’re a mathematical chance to make the 8 we play what they perceive to be our best line up. And there’s a fair chance that our 22 would be the same even if mathematically we couldn’t make it weeks ago. Our club culture is to always focus 100% on the 4 points on offer that week.

And I would like to hear them justify this. Then it’s on public record.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
A two game ruck being neck and neck with our veteran? That's making him look silly
They've got different strengths too. Sauce is one of the best tap rucks in the last decade which is something ROB still needs to pick up, he's also a smarter guy ahead of the footy and a marginally better kick.

ROBs workrate is enormous and his ability to be everywhere would make Sauce look silly. His follow-up from a tap is something only a couple of guys can do.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
They don’t see it that way. As long as we’re a mathematical chance to make the 8 we play what they perceive to be our best line up.
Agree 100%, which makes some of the melts here seem a bit ridiculous.
And there’s a fair chance that our 22 would be the same even if mathematically we couldn’t make it weeks ago. Our club culture is to always focus 100% on the 4 points on offer that week.
Yeah... nah. They've shown a willingness to test the youth, on the rare occasions when we've been out of the finals race early. Mind you, that hasn't happened in several years.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
ROB has a lot more upside and will be better than Jacobs.
I sure hope so, but very few have been as good as Sauce across the journey. Sauce was a far better tap ruck at 24 than ROB is, plus a much more reliable kick

Back