Preview Changes: R3 2019 v Geelong

Will we select Sam Jacobs, and win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Huh?

We drafted Milera being a midfielder long term, but eased him in as a forward.
Misunderstanding, I wasn't talking about our long term plans with him, but when we drafted him, he was being played as a forward in the SANFL so it made sense to play him as a forward in his first year.

Need one more defender I reckon.

Kelly in, Douglas out to the line up you named.

Would hope Stengle presses his claim too as the season wears on. Knight, Gallucci, Jones the three who'd be under pressure from him.
I figure we are better off rotating Gibbs & Douglas back who are better ball users than Kelly... but it should be horses for courses depending on the opposition's forward line. Also may need another tall like Hartigan, Otten or Fogarty at times... or just play your man Mackay. ;)

I would like to see us rotate players. Can still get good continuity by rotating a player or 2 in/out each week... as long as it's not the same players in/out

Does anyone think Jenkins could move more towards a ruck role. The modern Ruckman is both tall and agile which is definitely Jenkins. Thinking out loud here so bare with me. Could he become a Grundy like player instead of that Tippet type player which he is not... kicks better but lacks that real physical forward marking ability
He won't be a Grundy like player because Grundy is actually good at rucking, which JJ is not.

Actually very excited to see what O'Brien can do. He looked very good in JLT. If he's not up to it, at least we'll actually find out for sure at AFL level
He didn’t look good in JLT - average at best

Deserves a shot with good sanfl form over last 2 years and getting super fit but I think it’s best if we hold our horses in terms of getting excited

It's a shame re Jacobs; he has been an absolute warrior for us.

I don't think the Club has handled him well, but that's not a reflection on him; he's busted his arse and shouldered a huge workload, for years.

What we really need is RoB to come in and perform, so the reliance on Jacobs is shown to be unnecessary, and we can manage him properly moving forward.
Agreed - we need it

Not sure I expect it but I hope for it and glad Sauce can’t play this week

Yeah and I think it's telling we gave him significant time in JLT1, ahead of our other potential ruck options, which suggests he is next in line.

I'm not against the Jenkins 1st ruck option, but like you say I think that's better reserved in the event O'Brien is quickly found out at AFL level
We need Jenkins forward as we are struggling to kick goals , I reckon hunter would play first ruck before JJ

Jesus mate it really does get a bit tiresome sometimes reading the same old, same old line you take. I think by now most are well aware of your feelings an hardly need a reminder on selection every single game. It's becoming a broken record.

Would we play a Selwood type on the wing? This isn’t about selection, it’s about lack of imagination and being completely incapable of thinking outside the box.

You're quite right. I did say "show me one", and you did show me one.

That doesn't alter the fact that (almost) every single AFL player will stick their hand up for selection, if they think they're even remotely close to being fit. Sauce sticking his hand up for selection while still carrying a niggle does not make him particularly selfish, it makes him a typical AFL player.

You don’t know that. Players miss every week and you have NFI whether they’ve put their hand up or not.

I got to agree with Vader here.

You want players who put their hand up - you need coaches who can tell them no.

We have the first, not the second.

Not sure I agree. You want players who understand how physically demanding the game is and that if they’re not right they’re doing a disservice to the other 21 who take the field and the bloke who is next man up. Coaches, doctors and HP staff rely heavily upon the view of the player. You want players ruling themselves out, not getting through a 10 minute fitness test knowing they’ll be a liability over the course of 100 minutes of elite football. There’s no evidence that every AFL player sticks up their hand regardless, I highly doubt that in a performance industry that they do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im honestly backing in Mackay

Rohan is one of the most overrated players of all time

If Gary Rohan ever makes it to 200 games, Mackay would comfortably move to the second worst 200 gamer of all time.

With that said, Rohan has 3 Brownlow votes to Mackay's 1

Ok, so let's use the 50% improvement mark used above as what is expected.

Jacobs averages something like 35 hitouts a game this year, with a significant injury in one of those games. That would mean to get a "pass" mark, ROB would need to have a massive 50-odd hitout game. That's a ridiculous expectation for someone in his 3rd afl game.

What the * are you talking about now? FFS

You just equated the performance of a ruckman with the singular most discredit stat in the game

Raw hit outs have zero value in measuring the performance of a ruckman

Possibly yes.

He would have to be close. Worth noting he hasn't played more than 75% game time in any game this year. Reckon he plays a full game this week with a view to playing AFL next.

Not torching a player to make an arbitrary round one deadline makes for a very welcome change. Hugh said he’s feeling great, so another run in the 2’s will have him cherry ripe.

Im honestly backing in Mackay

Rohan is one of the most overrated players of all time

He usually plays well against us though. Pencil him in for multiple goals.

I'm keen on seeing Lynch removed from the side, is in shocking form and he knows it going by his reaction to kicking a goal on Friday night, obviously he is being given the opportunity to find form, but if he is invisible tomorrow, that is 3 games and I think that uses up his tickets when we have someone like Davis bashing the door down.

3 games? He’ll get 3 months before being subject to dropping.

I put Sanders & Elite Crow on ignore for that very reason. Their unadulterated stupidity triggered me every time. Life is so much better without having to read their stupidity.
I’m setting my alarm for 11.59pm so I can start the Game Day Thread and then you won’t even know the game is on.

Yeh, another selfish player. He also said that you always put your hand up for a final no matter how injured you are. It’s not the norm, it’s peculiar to players who think more of themselves than the team.
It's very much "the norm". Players like Prestigiacomo are the exception.

If ROB has a very good game v Cats and Sauce is ready for R4, who plays?

Given we know the match committee how it operates, Crows win and ROB has a very good game, he stays, if Crows lose and ROB delivers I presume he will be dropped?

If Jacobs is fit, he plays. It's not how it should be, but it's how it is. As soon as he is capabale of getting through a game, he'll be straight back in the 1's.

Back