Preview Changes: R3 2021 vs Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Im not sure what the issue is...both Brown and Kelly are best 22 everyday of the week.
Murray is break glass, young and inexperienced. There's no actual match up for him as a tall defender this week.
Frampton was average against Sydney but very good against Geelong and Himmelberg hasn't shown anything in the practice matches to demand selection yet.
Sure there are a few players on notice but there is absolutely no need for wholesale changes.
This is exactly right. Selections make total sense to me. Having been at the SCG last week it was clear we lacked experience down back, particularly when the likes of Heeney and Buddy got off the leash in the 2nd quarter. Besides, we still have a ton of kids playing - it isnt the end of the world!!! And Mackay is out!!! Happy days!!!

Brown I can understand, but Kelly is a waste of time.

Great bloke perhaps, and from what you hear a very hard driver of standards..... He's just not very good.

Always the intangibles, never what we can assess ourselves based on the 4 quarters that we see each week. Only been happening for a decade or so and the apologists still devour this s**t likes it's chocolate. New coaches, same philosophy drivers. Who'd have thunk it.

Im not sure what the issue is...both Brown and Kelly are best 22 everyday of the week.
Murray is break glass, young and inexperienced. There's no actual match up for him as a tall defender this week.
Frampton was average against Sydney but very good against Geelong and Himmelberg hasn't shown anything in the practice matches to demand selection yet.
Sure there are a few players on notice but there is absolutely no need for wholesale changes.

Chris Burgess disagrees. Murray could have matched up against him if we so wanted.

We just opted for the comfortable mediocre player instead of a kid. It's not a bad selection (unlike Mackay last week, which had no possible benefit, this one at least offers some defensive reinforcement), just a tad disappointing.

It won't be Fogarty or Jones going on Nicks comments

My bet is Murray the sub
depends on the GC team if it has extra height, then for sure, if not, they may go with another mid as a running player.

I am actually hoping that some of the boys like Fog, McAsey etc get a clean run in the SANFL for a couple more weeks to get form up so they can put real pressure on the guys in the main side. Meaning if they get the nod, they will be coming in with a block of work behind them and good form

It's just what we do.
Murray might still be pinching himself thinking he has already broken into the main side after being on the list for only 3 weeks. I am thinking sure he wants to be in the first team but would very much be ok with the decision to bring in a guy that is vastly more experienced. I think Murray will get plenty more opportunities to show what he can do

Chris Burgess disagrees. Murray could have matched up against him if we so wanted.

We just opted for the comfortable mediocre player instead of a kid. It's not a bad selection (unlike Mackay last week, which had no possible benefit, this one at least offers some defensive reinforcement), just a tad disappointing.
Burgess is playing his 1st game this season i think and is 2cm taller than Smith and Doedee. Easily covered by a more mobile defender than Murray.
I like Murray but probably needs to get some confidence in the sanfl imo ofcourse.

Murray might still be pinching himself thinking he has already broken into the main side after being on the list for only 3 weeks. I am thinking sure he wants to be in the first team but would very much be ok with the decision to bring in a guy that is vastly more experienced. I think Murray will get plenty more opportunities to show what he can do

Valuing experience over talent and future flag tilt development has definitely served us well. Good call.

Yeah look, I'm okay with these changes. Murray very unlucky to be dropped after only a week, would've given him a two-game stretch in the side at least. Would make sense if he's the sub

Wouldn't have kept Frampton in, but I guess the staff thought he deserved a chance to redeem himself, considering his great game in round 1. I reckon, though, if either 1) he doesn't perform this week, or 2) someone like EH has a blinder, he's most certainly out of the side against North

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The absolute key for selection from a fringe player's point of view is to be in for the gravy train games.

Home game vs Gold Coast
Away vs Kangaroos
Home game vs Fremantle

It doesn't get much easier than this stretch. This is where mid-range players can book themselves in for the majority of the season. We've all seen some of our fringe/on the edge players put together these little dazzling patches before against lowly teams.

We tend not to ease our kids in during these relative freebies. That's what trips to Kardinia Park are for.

Frampton and Kelly or whoever you regard as fringe in our team this week... watch out for them. They'll be busting a boiler like never before.

Regardless of the opposition, good performances here are credits in the bank. We don't look at away game performances against strong teams and use those games as an indicator of who we should be selecting. Those terrible performances are events, not trends. And we'll give the players the opportunity to respond.

Changes could have been worse I guess.
Looking forward to Berry having a great supercoach game this week.

Valuing experience over talent and future flag tilt development has definitely served us well. Good call.
I think that is a little overdramatic in this particular scenario considering Murray has literally been on our list for 1 month. Of course we want the kids to play but nothing at all wrong with allowing him to play a few games at SANFL level whilst he beds into our systems

Always the intangibles, never what we can assess ourselves based on the 4 quarters that we see each week. Only been happening for a decade or so and the apologists still devour this sh*t likes it's chocolate. New coaches, same philosophy drivers. Who'd have thunk it.
It's very very early in the season 1970 to get too wrapped up in these selections.

If we do not make a transition to a new 22 over the course of the year I will be seeing red-mist too, but that cannot be determined yet. I do not think we are doing the old crows thing of "trying to put the best team on the park to win this week's game".

Look, if we are going to have to do this with Frampton, we may as well give him a month.
Not against giving Frampton a decent block of games... but wouldn't want 2 poor games in a row....

Aside from talent and age, experience, etc, it's also a poor move from a structural point of view to be only playing one KPD.
We are lucky Day is out injured... but I would prefer we play a 2nd genuine key defender.

Exactly, his career is just starting....some forget this is a far different and experienced coaching group selecting the team now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back