Preview Changes: R3 2021 vs Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Big tick to the coaches for me this week. I can’t remember the last time we decided to go one key defender short and try something different. I think our running defenders are going have a field day.
I love the new coaches making some tough calls even if they fail.
Burgess is their 2nd forward this week with Day injured and he's the same height as Kelly, so it's not really going a key defender short, but just matching up better with the opposition I think.

Look, dropping Murray for Kelly of all people after one game is incredibly stiff.

Gotta feel for him. That would sting
Given the route he took to get his first AFL game, I reckon he won't be put off.

Bit of pressure on Kelly too.

Which is good.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Big tick to the coaches for me this week. I can’t remember the last time we decided to go one key defender short and try something different. I think our running defenders are going have a field day.
I love the new coaches making some tough calls even if they fail.
Not a bad strategy with Day out, so long as we don't get any ideas of doing the same against opposition with 2 or more key forwards.

Burgess is their 2nd forward this week with Day injured and he's the same height as Kelly, so it's not really going a key defender short, but just matching up better with the opposition I think.
This in itself is a brand new concept for us

Will we see us adjust our structure according to the conditions this year? Would be another first.

This in itself is a brand new concept for us

Will we see us adjust our structure according to the conditions this year? Would be another first.
I'm almost disappointed to see were not playing North in Tasmania next week just to see if we still try long, high kicks on a day where it's blowing an absolute gale.

Someone reported in here after training the other day that DMac had gone off injured.
He left the track early but I heard that he threw a tantrum and stormed off after finding out he was going to be sub

I'm almost disappointed to see were not playing North in Tasmania next week just to see if we still try long, high kicks on a day where it's blowing an absolute gale.
What about the game in the pouring rain at the Gabba last year when we went with Walker, Lynch, Himmelberg, Frampton and O'Brien?

meh...

brown back is good.

mookay out is *in awesome. now just keep the *er out permanently..

kelly back is understandable but uninspiring and maybe even arguably wrong..

thought they should've just given Kelly another week to be totally sure he’s fully recovered.. was an awful knockout when you actually look closely at the way his body was reacting just after he hit the ground. if your body starts convulsing and your eyes are going crazy like that and you need to be stretchered off then its definitely at the worst end of the concussion/knock out scale. Another head knock this week for Kelly and it would be shithouse.

cant see why they couldn't just give the Kelly spot to Worell and give the lad a go... he really looks the goods and deserves a run.

I mean, sure, great win against Geelong, but we are still right in the middle of a rebuild.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nicks was asked about Mackay and Murphy leaving the “Captain‘s Run” training session early. He denied that they were injured and said some players only need a short run, some may miss this session entirely. He compared them to McHenry who loves the C.R. and sees the session as a chance to get fired up early.

Now it is possible that Nicks was playing Ducks and Drakes but I would not be surprised to see DMac at Panther Park tomorrow. Some of the Troll-lites spend so much time chasing shadows that they barely have enough time for their nightly shaking their fists and yelling at the moon.

It's very very early in the season 1970 to get too wrapped up in these selections.

If we do not make a transition to a new 22 over the course of the year I will be seeing red-mist too, but that cannot be determined yet. I do not think we are doing the old crows thing of "trying to put the best team on the park to win this week's game".
You can't change him

With all the talk of the medical sub not being allowed to play SANFL after the AFL match, is it the same if the sub plays AFL after the SANFL game?

On SM-G986B using BigFooty.com mobile app
That would be up to the afl, pretty sure you can do both. From memory weve had players play sanfl and afl in the same weekend before.

Isn't the big topic of debate this week that both SA teams are not allowed to play the Medical Sub in the SANFL on the same weekend.

Yep, every other AFL team can have their sub play in their reserves team if that game is after the AFL game.

This is where I feel Olsen will let us down, we should already be making noises to join the East Coast reserves comp.

Imagine our senior and reserves sides playing to the same rules, wearing the same jumper - this should be a given not a pipedream.

Isn't the big topic of debate this week that both SA teams are not allowed to play the Medical Sub in the SANFL on the same weekend.

I think it was only if the sub plays part of an afl game then the SANFL have ruled they can’t play.
The other way around would be up to the AFL.

Look, dropping Murray for Kelly of all people after one game is incredibly stiff.

Gotta feel for him. That would sting
Why? He was literally an unsigned country football player a month ago. I would have liked a few more games from him too but in reality bullets have left guns slower then the time it took him to debut.

I think he’d just be happy to be on a list

Why? He was literally an unsigned country football player a month ago. I would have liked a few more games from him too but in reality bullets have left guns slower then the time it took him to debut.

I think he’d just be happy to be on a list

Because one game for any debutant before being dropped is very harsh, and Kelly is not much chop as a replacement. It's not like we were bringing in a superstar to replace him, we're bringing back a fringe role player (and that's being kind)

He left the track early but I heard that he threw a tantrum and stormed off after finding out he was going to be sub
Nah he’s gone in early to photoshop Nicks’ head onto the compromising photos he’s got stashed, like he has with all his previous coaches. He’ll be back in a week

The absolute key for selection from a fringe player's point of view is to be in for the gravy train games.

Home game vs Gold Coast
Away vs Kangaroos
Home game vs Fremantle

It doesn't get much easier than this stretch. This is where mid-range players can book themselves in for the majority of the season. We've all seen some of our fringe/on the edge players put together these little dazzling patches before against lowly teams.

We tend not to ease our kids in during these relative freebies. That's what trips to Kardinia Park are for.

Frampton and Kelly or whoever you regard as fringe in our team this week... watch out for them. They'll be busting a boiler like never before.

Regardless of the opposition, good performances here are credits in the bank. We don't look at away game performances against strong teams and use those games as an indicator of who we should be selecting. Those terrible performances are events, not trends. And we'll give the players the opportunity to respond.
Freo won't be an easy game even at home. I think they will be this year's big improver. They have numerous injuries (13 players) and are still performing very well. Lookout once they get all their players back. Can definitely make finals and do some damage this year. I think they can win a flag within the next 3 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back